The Jagr Poll

JoeLassister

The Jagr Poll  

41 members have voted

1. 1. With a realistic money-wise 1 year contract, would you like to see Jaromir Jagr with the Habs next season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds as if Jagr will sign with SKA St. Petersburg sometime this week which all but puts an end to this.

thank god. All he waned a bigger khl salary, never had any intention of coming back.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe 28 people voted yes. Just because Jagr did well in the World Championship(where most NHLers aren't even playing) Doesn't mean he could keep this kind of pace up for an entire season. Let's not forget he's 39 years old and is demanding 2 million$ per season.

The 2 million$ is ok,it's the fact that he's 39 and has slowed down considerable over the past 2-3 seasons that worries me.

Thankfully, the Habs have said they aren't interested in him. Let's not forget that Jagr is notorious for being a cancer in the locker room.

I can't believe 28 people voted yes. Just because Jagr did well in the World Championship(where most NHLers aren't even playing) Doesn't mean he could keep this kind of pace up for an entire season. Let's not forget he's 39 years old and is demanding 2 million$ per season.

The 2 million$ is ok,it's the fact that he's 39 and has slowed down considerable over the past 2-3 seasons that worries me.

Thankfully, the Habs have said they aren't interested in him. Let's not forget that Jagr is notorious for being a cancer in the locker room.

Travis Moen makes 1.5M. How is 2M for Jagr a risk? He's been a point per game player in the KHL since leaving the NHL.

Travis Moen makes 1.5M. How is 2M for Jagr a risk? He's been a point per game player in the KHL since leaving the NHL.

Stats don't tell the whole story, I mean I have no idea, but if he truly is a bad teammate then he is a big risk.

Stats don't tell the whole story, I mean I have no idea, but if he truly is a bad teammate then he is a big risk.

Stats don't tell the whole story but rumours do?

Stats don't tell the whole story but rumours do?

That's why I said I have no idea. For all any of us know he could just as easily score 30 goals or defect the the system, or become an assistant captain. All My point was trying to say is that, Moen may not have the statistics to prove he's worth his salary, but he brings leadership, kind of the same reasons that we kept Gill.

$2 mil for a hulking two-time Cup winner with a track record of formidable offensive skills and ZERO proven evidence of being a bad teammate is a worthwhile risk for a team in need of size and a top-6 forward. If he turns out to be poison, cut him loose and be done with it. The only thing I would do is talk to him first about JM's system and get assurances that he'll buy in. Anyway it's almost surely a moot point.

$2 mil for a hulking two-time Cup winner with a track record of formidable offensive skills and ZERO proven evidence of being a bad teammate is a worthwhile risk for a team in need of size and a top-6 forward. If he turns out to be poison, cut him loose and be done with it. The only thing I would do is talk to him first about JM's system and get assurances that he'll buy in. Anyway it's almost surely a moot point.

I think pitts and wash might have something to say about his locker room presence but he was only playing a game and will stay in the khl where it is fairly easy to be a 40 year old star.

It's intriguing that the Omsk deal still isn't done with one of the holdups apparently being an NHL out clause (though an online translation may have butchered that a bit). Apparently this whole debate will be done with one way or the other in the next week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

More musings (in Czech) with this report saying he will likely spurn the KHL and go back to the NHL for around $2.5 million with the Habs being one of 4 listed teams that are interested. (Detroit is the one we haven't heard before.)

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej/106442/rusko-ne-u-jaromira-jagra-asi-vyhraje-nhl.html

Cool. But I can't believe he'll choose us over Pittsburgh or Detroit. Always the bridesmaid... -_-

Cool. But I can't believe he'll choose us over Pittsburgh or Detroit. Always the bridesmaid... -_-

If he wants to maximize the money, it won't be Pittsburgh who only can really afford to give him a 6 figure deal. Detroit will have some space with Rafalski retiring but they need to use that on a defenceman, not another winger. The Habs have enough to give him the 2.5 if that figure's true. (So too will the Rangers with the Drury buyout...and possibly Wolski too but they will want to wait until after Richards signs.)

More musings (in Czech) with this report saying he will likely spurn the KHL and go back to the NHL for around $2.5 million with the Habs being one of 4 listed teams that are interested. (Detroit is the one we haven't heard before.)

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej/106442/rusko-ne-u-jaromira-jagra-asi-vyhraje-nhl.html

I don't give a lot of credence to reports out of Russia and Europe, they tend to be propaganda.

I don't give a lot of credence to reports out of Russia and Europe, they tend to be propaganda.

I really don't know how to respond to this at all. Russia is one thing, since their press isn't free, but the Czech Republic? Wow.

""I've talked to Montreal, I've talked to Detroit, a few other teams called once they found out he was ready to go to [the] NHL," Svoboda told ESPN.com. "Hopefully we should have a better idea by tomorrow. There's quite a few teams that have interest. Jaromir feels he's NHL-ready again. I believe this might happen.""

So this is still realistic.

A report out of New York regarding their chances of landing Jagr:

One thing that the Rangers do not figure to do is bring back Jaromir Jagr, who is weighing a return to the NHL.

A source told The News Friday that Jagr's talks with NHL teams are more than just a ploy to get more money out of the Russian team Avangard Omsk, where he has played three seasons. The source said Jagr likely will wind up with the Canadiens.

Also in the article is a note on how Wojtek Wolski may be bought out, intriguing.

http://www.nydailyne...l#ixzz1Pdg4WumJ

I really don't know how to respond to this at all. Russia is one thing, since their press isn't free, but the Czech Republic? Wow.

when did the czech republic get to be so credible? did I miss a memo? I know this may be hard to believe but agents sometimes give misleading interviews to journalists for the purpose of bolstering their clients position. Also since petr svoboda used to play for les habs I know that he is above reproach. :rolleyes:

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/321448.html

roughly translated by myself : according the the New York Daily News, Montreal would be Jagr's first pick and that Jagr would really be interested in making a NA comeback.

http://www.rds.ca/ca...ues/321448.html

roughly translated by myself : according the the New York Daily News, Montreal would be Jagr's first pick and that Jagr would really be interested in making a NA comeback.

For those who don't want the translated part, they can read the English quote from that same paper 3 posts above yours. RDS is stretching things a little based on what was actually written.

For those who don't want the translated part, they can read the English quote from that same paper 3 posts above yours. RDS is stretching things a little based on what was actually written.

Oh shit, indeed they do stretch it a bit. hahaha

I'm excited about the possibility of Jagr. The Habs haven't had a player of his iconic status since Doug Gilmour.

when did the czech republic get to be so credible? did I miss a memo? I know this may be hard to believe but agents sometimes give misleading interviews to journalists for the purpose of bolstering their clients position. Also since petr svoboda used to play for les habs I know that he is above reproach. :rolleyes:

He probably meant that you generalized all European reports as being propaganda, as if the continent is primitive and corrupt compared to NA. Maybe that's not what you meant though.

I think your thinking about Germany around the 30's-40's. Newsflash = Joseph Goebbels is dead.