Habs Ranked 20th in Prospect Depth

Trizzak

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13067/hockeys_future_organizational_rankings_spring20111120/

HockeysFuture has decreed the Habs prospect pool to be 20th of 30 teams.

When you consider that Subban, Desharnais, Eller, Weber, Pyatt, and White all played on the Habs this season, should we really be worried about dropping 5 spots in the HockeysFuture ranking?

I can't say it's a real shocker to drop 5 spots. Frankly, I was surprised the Habs weren't in the bottom 10 with so many youngsters moving up full time. Any time you graduate at least 2 (I'm too lazy to look up their criteria to see if Desharnais still qualifies) to the NHL, you're bound to take a hit in any ranking.

I wouldnt say worried, but is valid that system is short in a couple areas, such as LW and goaltending. I would look to draft a big LW or bigger foward with 17th pick , such as a Brandon Saad, Tyler Biggs, Mark McNeill or Boone Jenner, but even taking a Jurco, Danault, Phillips, Rattie, Scheifele or Jensen is no loss, as all are supposedly talented and be fine to add to system. (i.e. Rattie is small and as fast as Tom Pyatt, but he can score as well).

But i think Kristo, LeBlanc, Bornival, Tinordi, Ellis, Bennett and Gallager should fill in some slots a few years down the road, while Engqvist, Palushaj, Nash (and maybe Diaz?) are almost ready now, Habs also have 2 good looking backup goalies, which may mean end for Auld, who did fine this year as well.

http://www.hockeysfu...spring20111120/

HockeysFuture has decreed the Habs prospect pool to be 20th of 30 teams.

When you consider that Subban, Desharnais, Eller, Weber, Pyatt, and White all played on the Habs this season, should we really be worried about dropping 5 spots in the HockeysFuture ranking?

It puzzles me how a francise who's farm team is in the final 4 of the AHL playoffs, which should mean they they have the top 4 farm team, thereby the top 4 prospects, could be ranked 20th in prospects? Is this done by the same Torontonian genius' that had Montreal not making the playoffs this year, even healthy? Sorry to break it to them but Montreal contended this year ( with major injury losses) the farm is strong, so they will continue to contend for awhile yet. They can rank them wherever they please, as long as they keep contending at both levels, have the depth to contend when hit with tons of injuries at both levels, and finish their season weeks-months after both of Toronto's entries I am happy.

:D

It puzzles me how a francise who's farm team is in the final 4 of the AHL playoffs, which should mean they they have the top 4 farm team, thereby the top 4 prospects, could be ranked 20th in prospects? Is this done by the same Torontonian genius' that had Montreal not making the playoffs this year, even healthy? Sorry to break it to them but Montreal contended this year ( with major injury losses) the farm is strong, so they will continue to contend for awhile yet. They can rank them wherever they please, as long as they keep contending at both levels, have the depth to contend when hit with tons of injuries at both levels, and finish their season weeks-months after both of Toronto's entries I am happy.

HF is counting prospects with NHL potential. The best players on AHL teams are often players like Boyd and Dawes that will never be NHL stars.

Montreal's best prospects right now are Palushaj, Leblanc, Tinordi, Kristo. None of them are expected to be stars (more like 2nd liners). They certainly aren't nearly as deep as they used to be.

+1

HF is counting prospects with NHL potential. The best players on AHL teams are often players like Boyd and Dawes that will never be NHL stars.

Montreal's best prospects right now are Palushaj, Leblanc, Tinordi, Kristo. None of them are expected to be stars (more like 2nd liners). They certainly aren't nearly as deep as they used to be.

Well, that's as you'd expect after a season in which several key young guns came up and made the club. Nobody should be too concerned about this ranking. It just means that - as usual - the scouts have to succeed at the draft.

Well, that's as you'd expect after a season in which several key young guns came up and made the club. Nobody should be too concerned about this ranking. It just means that - as usual - the scouts have to succeed at the draft.

And that's the key. This ranking doesn't say our scouts suck, or that our system sucks, its just basing the talent pool we have left under their very strict definition. A guy like Eller may be graduated, but he's still got lots of room to grow.

I wouldnt say worried, but is valid that system is short in a couple areas, such as LW and goaltending. I would look to draft a big LW or bigger foward with 17th pick , such as a Brandon Saad, Tyler Biggs, Mark McNeill or Boone Jenner, but even taking a Jurco, Danault, Phillips, Rattie, Scheifele or Jensen is no loss, as all are supposedly talented and be fine to add to system. (i.e. Rattie is small and as fast as Tom Pyatt, but he can score as well).

But i think Kristo, LeBlanc, Bornival, Tinordi, Ellis, Bennett and Gallager should fill in some slots a few years down the road, while Engqvist, Palushaj, Nash (and maybe Diaz?) are almost ready now, Habs also have 2 good looking backup goalies, which may mean end for Auld, who did fine this year as well.

Goaltending? I wonder if the Devils have been weak in goaltending prospects for the last two decades.

The Habs have Eller, Subban, Price, Weber, Pacioretty all in the NHL and under 23. It is hardly a concern. If they had a top 5 ranking we would be looking at a powerhouse in a year with major cap problems in 2-3 years.

When you have the young talent the Habs do, you only need to produce an upper tier NHL talent every 4-5 seasons. Guys like Kristo, LeBlanc, Bournival are the depth guys that keep your cap safe. They are just as imporant to long term success. If they unearth a gem like Halak every 3-4 years, it is a massive bonus.