Gill to re-sign, Boyd/Dawes to KHL, Klubertanz to SEL

dlbalr

Lots of reports out there saying Gill has signed a 1 year extension for $2.25 million which is what he made the past two seasons.

Also, as I reported last week in the rumour thread, Dawes and Boyd are leaving; both have signed in the KHL with Barys Astana, a Kazakh KHL team. http://www.hcbarys.kz/news/view/naydzhel-douz-i-dastin-boyd-v-baryise

I am completely happy with this signing. I don't think that Hammer will be back now nor Wiz.

Markov/(Gorges or Subban)

Gill/(Gorges or Subban)

Spacek/Emelin

Weber

Maybe something like that?

i like gill but i wish he took a discount...2.25mil a little to much for me, we could of use that to sign Wiz

I was hoping that he'd have taken less too but in a sense, with the escalation of salaries, signing a UFA to the same salary is almost like a pay cut. A little convoluted way of thinking but that's how I generally look at it.

i like gill but i wish he took a discount...2.25mil a little to much for me, we could of use that to sign Wiz

yeah I agree, I was thinking 1.5 million. He is at the end of his career and ain't the fastest bunny in the bunch. But in today's NHL 750k is chicken feed and not worth fighting over I guess.

His game has not discernably declined since he was originally signed; if anything, he's proven more valuable in terms of team dynamics than most of us expected in 2009. And dlbalr is right that a flatlined salary in an escalating cap amounts to a pay cut. Good signing. :thumbs_up:

Very happy with this, everyone knows Gill is a key member of the locker room and a great role model for PK and the other young players on the team. Plus he is still a extremely valuable penalty killer.

As for Boyd and Dawes, I do not think this surprises anyone.

I agree will the above posts. We're getting Gill for a marginal amount of money in NHL terms.

He's a bit slow and gets caught once in a while, but if he is adding leadership and mentoring Subban it seems like a win / win for the Habs.

A one year contract was a smart move.

A one year contract was a smart move.

It occurs to me that Gill might have accepted less money for a bit longer term. If so, the Habs probably preferred to hedge their bets considering his age and slowness. If he loses a step he will be a pilon. But I'm a big Gill believer - he's not just a gigantic leader and mentor, he's also disproportionately important to the whole bend-don't-break defensive system that is such a key to this team's success.

Well, I guess I'm in the minority. I like resigning Gill for 1 year. But it just seems like a lot of money for a guy who really is only effective on the PK, and is going to be moving more and more into a assistant coaching type of role. Would have been very happy to resign him for $1.5M, I get he is a free agent and all, but isn't he also over 35 now? Would he have really gotten a longer term or money elsewhere?

I really do hope they find a way to dump Spacek for sure now. Right from the start, i've been saying I only wanted one of the three back - Spacek, Hamrlik or Gill and the order of preferance was Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek (Spacek only by the necessity if he can't be moved. $2.25M is i think the highest I'd want to go for Hamrlik and $1.5M is what I would I would have set the ceiling for Gill.

Well, I guess I'm in the minority. I like resigning Gill for 1 year. But it just seems like a lot of money for a guy who really is only effective on the PK, and is going to be moving more and more into a assistant coaching type of role. Would have been very happy to resign him for $1.5M, I get he is a free agent and all, but isn't he also over 35 now? Would he have really gotten a longer term or money elsewhere?

I really do hope they find a way to dump Spacek for sure now. Right from the start, i've been saying I only wanted one of the three back - Spacek, Hamrlik or Gill and the order of preferance was Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek (Spacek only by the necessity if he can't be moved. $2.25M is i think the highest I'd want to go for Hamrlik and $1.5M is what I would I would have set the ceiling for Gill.

I agree, pretty much completely.

Both Gill and Spacek makes for a very immobile defense for 2 of the pairings (or one awful pairing if they are together). Another top 4 guy has to come in because Gill and Spacek, aged 36 and 37 respectively, will not be able to handle top 4 minutes over the long haul, and I have no confidence in Yemelin or Weber to handle that responsibility at the start of the season.

I'm not even a Spacek hater, I'm fine with him on the team... but I only want one 35+ player on the Habs considering how gassed the D looked in the playoffs with 3 of them.

This is a good Signing by PG. For those of you who think we could've gotten gill for under 2 million$ /year, all I can say is that you're dreaming! Gill would've gotten 2 million$ from a bunch of other teams, especially considering its only a 1 year deal.

He'll be around one more year to mentor Subban, which is great news!

Now, there's got to be a way to trade or give away Spacek. Buy him out if you have to. We need to find a way to resign The Wiz...and also we need to make room for Yemelin. I have to say, i'm really looking forward to seeing this guy in action!

There has got to be a way to get out from Specek's contract. Is there no team with cap space to spend looking for an expererienced 2nd pairing defenseman? Even if we could trade him with a prospect in order to lock up both Wiz and Markov, it would be worth it in my opinion.

I am completely happy with this signing. I don't think that Hammer will be back now nor Wiz.

Markov/(Gorges or Subban)

Gill/(Gorges or Subban)

Spacek/Emelin

Weber

Maybe something like that?

I am very glad that Gill will be back too. I see the same defensive corp than you going into the next season. Provided Markov is healthy, the Habs should be solid on defense.

There has got to be a way to get out from Specek's contract. Is there no team with cap space to spend looking for an expererienced 2nd pairing defenseman? Even if we could trade him with a prospect in order to lock up both Wiz and Markov, it would be worth it in my opinion.

Spacek will certainly be marketable at the deadline to teams looking for veteran depth on the blueline. Of course, by that point it might pay to keep him around. The return would be modest and vets like him almost always raise their game a couple of notches when the dance begins. If he is to be unloaded, it must be this summer.

Your first sentence is where it's at. One of my ongoing frustrations about the Habs is my vague feeling that the organization is not as relentlessly committed to working around the cap as teams like Philly, Chicago, San Jose and especially Vancouver, which has THE best cap management in hockey. When we have a bad contract we should work 24/7, relentlessly, to unload it - move heaven and earth, make it happen; when we want to sign a difference-making player (Wiz) we should do likewise; and I just don't sense that this is the organization's approach. But I could be wrong.

There was a discussion here about sending Spacek down and then putting him on re-entry waivers, which would lower his salary to interested teams (albeit leaving us on the hook for half of it - but carrying that for one season wouldn't be that big a deal). That's a possibility. I also agree that dealing him with a middling - not an elite - prospect would be acceptable if it meant locking up Wiz, for whom I'm a big advocate. For that matter, if sending him to minors means re-signing Wiz and giving us possibly THE best defence core in hockey, then you can make an economic argument to Molson for doing it; it could mean 1-2 extra playoff rounds and all the profits that accrue thereby.

Another good and smart move for Gauthier.

Gill should also take over for Pearn.

Spacek is just untradable at his age, salary and inept defensive play, but Martin and Pearn seem to keep running him out there, bad shift after bad shift, for some unknown reason?

He is just eating up a roster spot (for a Weber at 1/3 the salary) and cap room.

He should be stapled into the pressbox, bought out or shipped to AHL; but i think the chances of any of those options happening are zero.

We will have to suffer through 1 more year with his turnovers and brain cramps!

This is a good Signing by PG. For those of you who think we could've gotten gill for under 2 million$ /year, all I can say is that you're dreaming! Gill would've gotten 2 million$ from a bunch of other teams, especially considering its only a 1 year deal.

He'll be around one more year to mentor Subban, which is great news!

Now, there's got to be a way to trade or give away Spacek. Buy him out if you have to. We need to find a way to resign The Wiz...and also we need to make room for Yemelin. I have to say, i'm really looking forward to seeing this guy in action!

I feel like our team next season will be almost identical.

ALL OF:

Markov at - ~4.5M

Gorges at 3.5M

Gill at 2.15M :B):thumbs_up::halm:

Picard at 660K

ONE OF:

Wisniewski at 4.25M

Hamrlik at 3M

Bieksa/X at 3.5M

Halpern is either retained at the same rate or replaced with a similar player.

Ditto Auld.

Gomez stays.

Kostitsyn re-signs for something similar, maybe a slight raise.

Pouliot probably gets traded for a Bournival.

Another good and smart move for Gauthier.

Gill should also take over for Pearn.

Spacek is just untradable at his age, salary and inept defensive play, but Martin and Pearn seem to keep running him out there, bad shift after bad shift, for some unknown reason?

He is just eating up a roster spot (for a Weber at 1/3 the salary) and cap room.

He should be stapled into the pressbox, bought out or shipped to AHL; but i think the chances of any of those options happening are zero.

We will have to suffer through 1 more year with his turnovers and brain cramps!

I think you exaggerate Spacek's badness. He is still a useful #5-6 defensive veteran, just not at that price point.

Meanwhile, great piece on Gill from Arpon Basu:

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110531/mtl_habshub_habit_110531/20110531/?hub=MontrealSports

(Incidentally, this article reminds us of the Gomez-Gill clash of 2010, which Gomez decisively lost, and which set the table for this team's JM-defined identity to solidify. It's worth asking: to what extent has Gomez become alienated on this team? Could his on-ice struggles be a result of his privately opting out of the The System but being unable to take his linemates with him? Could that explain why everyone's statistics, except for MaxPac's, plummeted every time they played on Gomer's line: they were playing the system and he wasn't? If so, then ironically Gomez is the last domino of resistance to the JM regime and team culture - and unless he converts on the road to Damascus we should be redoubling our efforts to get rid of him. Not to start yet ANOTHER Gomez thread :lol: It's just an angle I hadn't thought about systematically before now).

I think you exaggerate Spacek's badness. He is still a useful #5-6 defensive veteran, just not at that price point.

http://montreal.ctv....=MontrealSports

(Incidentally, this article reminds us of the Gomez-Gill clash of 2010, which Gomez decisively lost, and which set the table for this team's JM-defined identity to solidify. It's worth asking: to what extent has Gomez become alienated on this team? Could his on-ice struggles be a result of his privately opting out of the The System but being unable to take his linemates with him? Could that explain why everyone's statistics, except for MaxPac's, plummeted every time they played on Gomer's line: they were playing the system and he wasn't? If so, then ironically Gomez is the last domino of resistance to the JM regime and team culture - and unless he converts on the road to Damascus we should be redoubling our efforts to get rid of him. Not to start yet ANOTHER Gomez thread :lol: It's just an angle I hadn't thought about systematically before now).

That's an interesting set of questions and theories but I think the simple answer is: Gomer's play is declining and he had an extraordinarily bad season...period.

Spacek maybe is an OK, but somewhat scary 6th d-man (a la MAB), but Weber should have that spot as he should be part of Hab future and Spacek should of hung up skates already (just my opinion) and i strongly doubt he could even find a spot on any team, no matter the salary.

but

http://montreal.ctv....=MontrealSports