Build Your Habs

Trizzak

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator/index.php?teamId=2

Go there. Build your Habs team and post it. Make it cap compliant (be sure to change the number at the top to the estimated $62.5 for next season).

Anyone that you take away from the team, or anyone you add from another team, be sure to list your proposal on how they got there.

Also be prepared for heated discussion and ridicule. :P

My team isn't changed much...

FORWARDS

Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($3.500m)

Max Pacioretty ($1.500m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)

Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)

Ryan White ($0.600m) / David Desharnais ($0.750m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)

Tom Pyatt ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)

Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m) / Josh Gorges ($3.500m)

Yannick Weber ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($2.750m) / Johan Hedberg ($1.200m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

RE-ENTRY WAIVERS: Jaroslav Spacek ($1.916m)

SALARY CAP: $63,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,953,843; BONUSES: $400,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,446,157

Gone from the team:

Benoit Pouiliot - Traded to St Louis for a 2nd round pick

Jaroslav Spacek - Lost to Re-entry waivers

Hedberg, Cole and Wisniewski are free agent signings.

I like this team. There's even room for a cheap vet to round out the bottom 6... Konopka maybe? All 4 lines can do some offensive damage, Cole gives the top line a big body, Wisniewski gives us options on the PP outside of Markov and Subban (2nd wave of Gorges and Yemelin? No thanks), and finally Hedberg can handle a few more games than Auld which would give the goalie tandem more of a 62/20 split. Plus, if Price gets injured I have more trust in Hedberg for limited starter duty than Auld.

Go ahead... flame away :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, your team DEPENDS on a team taking Spacek at half-price. If no one does, a trade has to be made to accomadate Spacek's cap hit. Or else no Hedberg, and a cheap, cheap goalie backing up Price.

Other than that, I'd say its a solid team. As far as D pairings go, I'd switch around Wiz and Gorges... I like the idea of Markov-Gorges, and Yemelin-Wiz can get the soft minutes. I think your salary expectations are generally reasonable (give or take on some deals), although I think Hedberg's age will require him to take a not insignificant paycut.

Obviously, your team DEPENDS on a team taking Spacek at half-price. If no one does, a trade has to be made to accomadate Spacek's cap hit. Or else no Hedberg, and a cheap, cheap goalie backing up Price.

Spacek at 2 mill for 1 season? I think any team would take him at that cap hit.

The other issue with re-entry is the timing. It basically can't be done until the end of training camp at the absolute earliest and that would only be on a pre-arranged deal. Otherwise, it's during the season.

Johan Hedberg is not any better than Alex Auld.

He is 38 years old and has a career .901 SV%. It is a lateral move that adds $200,000 to your cap.

Either the Canadiens want to upgrade their backup (ie. a guy who can run with starters minutes for more than 10 games) or they re-up Auld.

Hedberg has been a stiff on the same level as Auld for his whole career, no sense in picking up a guy like that.

If you aren't going to significantly upgrade the position then don't change.

Johan Hedberg is not any better than Alex Auld.

He is 38 years old and has a career .901 SV%. It is a lateral move that adds $200,000 to your cap.

Either the Canadiens want to upgrade their backup (ie. a guy who can run with starters minutes for more than 10 games) or they re-up Auld.

Hedberg has been a stiff on the same level as Auld for his whole career, no sense in picking up a guy like that.

If you aren't going to significantly upgrade the position then don't change.

Personal choice, really. I've just always liked Hedberg *shrug*

Looks great for next year, but what happens when Price and Subban need a raise?

At that point you move heaven, hell, and earth itself to unload Gomez. In fairness, he should be more marketable then given that his actual salary will drop, if not his cap hit.

Looks great for next year, but what happens when Price and Subban need a raise?

Spacek, Laraque and Moen are off the books and Gomez becomes infinitely more tradeable.

Spacek, Laraque and Moen are off the books and Gomez becomes infinitely more tradeable.

Gill is off the books as well. Not sure what you signed Kostitsyn for in terms of length, but he'd be a UFA that year if only signed to a one year extension.

I dont see much cap room to acquire a top six LW, which is what they need up front, unless Kostitsyn is let go (which i doubt is in the cards) as well as Pouliot (who may bring back a 2nd or 3rd round pick??).

Pyatt just cant score at all, which is too bad.

We are stuck with Spacek i think for 1 more year and he seems a favourite of Pearn and Martin, for some reason?

I would be happy to retain Auld or resign and promote one of 2 top keepers from Bulldogs.

With this lineup below, not a lot of free cap space, alot of youth, but if can sign a Simon Gagne (or the like) to fill LW slot, i would be fine with letting AK46 walk and trying to get a pick for Pouloit.

AK46, i would let go to arbitration if wont take a paycut.

FORWARDS

Mike Cammalleri ($6,000,000) / Tomas Plekanec ($5,000,000) / Andrai Kostitsyn ($2,900,000)

Max Pacioretty ($1,200,000) / Scott Gomez ($7,357,000) / Brian Gionta ($5,000,000)

Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($2,900,000)

Ryan White ($800,000) / David Desharnais ($900,000) / Aaron Palushaj ($883,333)

Andreas Engqvist ($900,000)

DEFENSEMEN

Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Jaroslav Spacek ($3,833,333)

Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m) / Josh Gorges ($2.500m)

Yannick Weber ($900,000)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.200m)

AK46, i would let go to arbitration if wont take a paycut.

They can't offer him a paycut, his QO is his salary from last year. It's only in arbitration that they can submit a salary below his QO but even then, the arbitrator tends to rule in the middle anyway...which probably would be his QO of $3.25 M.

They can't offer him a paycut, his QO is his salary from last year. It's only in arbitration that they can submit a salary below his QO but even then, the arbitrator tends to rule in the middle anyway...which probably would be his QO of $3.25 M.

I believe the solution is to sign him and trade him, we have done it before and can do it again. Lets see what we can get for a guy who has oodles of talent and no brains. Throw pouiot into the deal. It is not that pouliot can't play in the nhl it is just that he has not found his spot yet :lol:

I am fond of both AK46 and Pouliot but, not at his present salary for AK46 and not with Martin at the Healm for Pouliot and he should do fine somewhere else.

I believe the solution is to sign him and trade him, we have done it before and can do it again. Lets see what we can get for a guy who has oodles of talent and no brains. Throw pouiot into the deal. It is not that pouliot can't play in the nhl it is just that he has not found his spot yet :lol:

FORWARDS

Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Max Pacioretty ($2.000m)

Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)

Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Scottie Upshall ($2.250m)

Tom Pyatt ($0.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.750m) / Ryan White ($0.850m)

Andreas Engqvist ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN

Josh Gorges ($3.500m) / Andrei Markov ($5.750m)

James Wisniewski ($5.000m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)

Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($2.750m) / Brian Boucher ($0.925m)

OTHER: Pouliot can be traded for the best offer

Spacek anything possible to get rid of him

I don't pretend to know much, but I signed Scottie Upshall, always nice too add a 20 goal scorer.

I personally really like Pyatt, Desharnais and White so I would like them on the team, plus Engqvist by all accounts seems ready for the NHL so he could replace any of the three.

Boucher, if we could get him, I think would be a great mentor for Price.

Fire Away!

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,337,824

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

I don't pretend to know much, but I signed Scottie Upshall, always nice too add a 20 goal scorer.

I personally really like Pyatt, Desharnais and White so I would like them on the team, plus Engqvist by all accounts seems ready for the NHL so he could replace any of the three.

Fire Away!

the crimp in your plan is that Spacek is going nowhere, Martin seems to like him and nobody else in the NHL wants him. I also would not sign Wiz to 5 mill, just not worth it, and I think PG is going to agree with me. I like Wiz but he will want top 4 money for a 5th or 6th d. We will do just fine with out him. We need a big centre, I know hard to find but it is what we need. AK46 just does not seem to be able to blossom in montreal and needs a new home, We should work on getting him one.

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Fire Away!

Love it other than the Spacek conundrum.

the crimp in your plan is that Spacek is going nowhere, Martin seems to like him and nobody else in the NHL wants him. I also would not sign Wiz to 5 mill, just not worth it, and I think PG is going to agree with me. I like Wiz but he will want top 4 money for a 5th or 6th d. We will do just fine with out him. We need a big centre, I know hard to find but it is what we need. AK46 just does not seem to be able to blossom in montreal and needs a new home, We should work on getting him one.

How bad would it be to buyout Spacek?

Wiz is worth five in my mind, he is young enough that he will progress defensively, he could learn from Gill or Markov plus Martin is known as a defensive coach. If he improved defensively it would be a great deal.

Lars Eller isn't exactly small either.

How bad would it be to buyout Spacek?

Wiz is worth five in my mind, he is young enough that he will progress defensively, he could learn from Gill or Markov plus Martin is known as a defensive coach. If he improved defensively it would be a great deal.

Lars Eller isn't exactly small either.

His entire cap hit would still count against the cap, that's how bad the option is.

His entire cap hit would still count against the cap, that's how bad the option is.

Damn... that sucks, could we bury him in Hamilton?

Nope, cap hit would still count in full.

hence my point he ain't going nowhere unless Sather wants him or millbusted comes back in the league as a gm.

hence my point he ain't going nowhere unless Sather wants him or millbusted comes back in the league as a gm.

I think there's an opportunity to trade him for a similar situation with another team, just one at forward. Like say, Jochen Hecht, or something.

But if not, we'll just have a couple of expensive 4-6 D offset by having Subban and Yemelin for cheap next year.

A bit unorthodox, but I would suggest starting the season over the cap for a total of $63.219M with the following line up:

FORWARDS

Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)

Max Pacioretty ($1.500m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)

Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.750) - 2yrs / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Benoit Pouliot ($1.450m) - 1 yr

Travis Moen ($1.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.650m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)

Ryan White ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

James Wisniewski ($4.500m) - 4 yrs / Andrei Markov ($6m) - 1 yr

Alexei Emelin ($0.984m) / Josh Gorges ($3.500m) - 3 yrs

Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833)

In Hamilton to start: Yannick Weber ($0.900m), Tom Pyatt ($0.550m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

My reasoning:

1) Overall, we need to focus on mitigating risk on the back end (with Markov and Gorges returning from surgery and Emelin a question mark) and trying to tweak the forwards by adding a bit of offensive punch, while maximizing assets instead of letting guys walk with no return on investment.

2) We want the Wiz in addition to Markov, in case Markov can't recover from his string of injuries. The Wiz is certainly the best replacement available and perhaps one of the best we could possible acquire by any means. So, sign them both and,

a) Trade the Wiz if Markov recovers his prowess, OR

b) Keep both the Wiz and Markov for the playoff run and trade Gorges - if Emelin proves he can be a more physical shut down dman. In this scenario trade the Wiz next summer to make room for PK, Carey, Eller and Emelin's contracts. (The risk here is that the Wiz has a drop off in production and becomes untradeable. That would be very very bad.)

Either way, you trade for picks and/or prospects and get below the cap - the goal here is to manage the risk that either or both of Markov and Gorges may not return to form, and to turn Gorges and the Wiz into tradeable assets if Markov, Gorges and Emelin all work out as hoped. Note: When the Wiz or Gorges is traded (some time in November) Spac moves back up into the number 6 spot and Weber gets called back up from Hamilton.

3) We want to improve scoring without over-paying for a UFA forward in a tight market: Ponikarovsky is a proven 20 goal scorer, with a big body and great work on the boards and puck protection, who has had a rough ride since leaving the Leafs and got scratched a few times in LA. He will probably take a pay cut (but maybe not). He would compliment Eller and Poo very well and create a potent 3rd line, IMHO. Improvement up front is desireable but tough with limited UFA options - I have no doubt that Erik Cole will be re-signing and staying along side Staal in Carolina, for example. Ponikarovsky is the kind of risky but relatively safe 3rd line move the Habs should be considering up front.

4) I completely disagree with giving up on Pouliot at this juncture - give him a more mature Eller and a skilled other winger to play with and watch his point totals improve.

5) It's a crying shame we don't have options to help DD show his offensive stuff right now. I believe this guy will prove himself in the NHL as he has at every other level. 22 points in 43 games with limited ToI was the beginning of this process, but, unfortunately there's a log jam at C right now. If Gomez doesn't bounce back and DD continues to shine despite playing with grinders, I imagine DD and Eller moving up and Gomez dropping down mid-season. But I actually expect Gomez to have a great year with Patches and Gio...

It should be noted that without the bonus cushion in place, teams simply cannot start over the cap. The Habs would forfeit all games until they get back in compliance. Weber also must clear waivers to go down and he'd easily be snapped up. Ponikarovsky will be lucky to get half of $2.75 M, he may even be lucky to get a contract period. (I like the out of the box thinking if nothing else.)