2011 Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Since it's the offseason, time to start looking at the league-wide news and rumblings:

- The Rangers plan to buyout Drury this offseason...except they can't. http://www.nypost.co...C-rss&FEEDNAME= Though the condition is enough to fail a physical (required to grieve any buyout) I don't think it'll be enough to force him to miss the whole year. Wonder if that will affect their shot at signing Richards as though he'll surely be on LTIR for some of the year, he might not be for all of it. The fact that Redden will jump back onto their offseason cap (of which you can only be over by 10% of all 1 way deals plus pro-rations of two-way deals based days spent on an NHL roster) will also play a role. Since he has this condition, he can probably block an AHL move too. Could be interesting.

- Florida wants to buyout Rostislav Olesz but he could grieve it due to injury as well.

- Reports are that NJ has already filed to take Parise to arbitration which will prevent him from getting an offer sheet. If they do wind up in arbitration though, it'll be a 1 year deal with him becoming a UFA after so it's a risky strategy.

- Nashville has done the same as New Jersey had with Shea Weber.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6,2M$ and one more season for Lidstrom.

IMHO, Nick Lidstrom is the most respected player in the NHL (and in the world) by his peers.

Since it's the offseason, time to start looking at the league-wide news and rumblings:

- The Rangers plan to buyout Drury this offseason...except they can't. http://www.nypost.co...C-rss&FEEDNAME= Though the condition is enough to fail a physical (required to grieve any buyout) I don't think it'll be enough to force him to miss the whole year. Wonder if that will affect their shot at signing Richards as though he'll surely be on LTIR for some of the year, he might not be for all of it. The fact that Redden will jump back onto their offseason cap (of which you can only be over by 10% of all 1 way deals plus pro-rations of two-way deals based days spent on an NHL roster) will also play a role. Since he has this condition, he can probably block an AHL move too. Could be interesting.

- Florida wants to buyout Rostislav Olesz but he could grieve it due to injury as well.

- Reports are that NJ has already filed to take Parise to arbitration which will prevent him from getting an offer sheet. If they do wind up in arbitration though, it'll be a 1 year deal with him becoming a UFA after so it's a risky strategy.

- Nashville has done the same as New Jersey had with Shea Weber.

I hope they both go to arbritation so we can court one of them next summer. Shea Weber is my fav non-Hab next to Ryan Getzlaf, so the possibility of him becoming a UFA is pretty exciting. Parise also cracks my list of top-5 non-Habs.

Weber fired Don Meehan as his agent... speculation is that the two of them had different priorities: Weber wants to stay in Nashville, Meehan wants him to extract the most money possible.

And Jeff Carter goes to Columbus for Voracek, 1st, 3rd.

This trade happened before Carter's NTC kicked in (it wasn't allowed by the CBA until he turned a certain age, I think?), and he was apparently promised he wouldn't be traded before it started.

I'd love to know if they asked him if he would like to go to Columbus before doing this. If not, Philly will take a serious blow to signing current players and free agents with that kind of reputation.

Holy crap, Philly unloading carter AND Richards!!!!

The first has been rumoured for a long time, but Richards?? Whoa.

(Naturally, the Habs can't manage to acquire either guy, despite their being a great fit for team needs :rolleyes: )

Holy crap, Philly unloading carter AND Richards!!!!

The first has been rumoured for a long time, but Richards?? Whoa.

(Naturally, the Habs can't manage to acquire either guy, despite their being a great fit for team needs :rolleyes: )

Both went to the western conference. This is probably on purpose.

Also look at what both teams gave up. You want one for Richards or Carter? Start your offer with Pacioretty and keep adding.

Hurray, Philly destroyed themselves!

JVR will grow just like Plex did when we traded Ribs.

Voracek has every potential in the world.

I wouldn't write them off, especially if they sign Bryz.

JVR will grow just like Plex did when we traded Ribs.

Voracek has every potential in the world.

I wouldn't write them off, especially if they sign Bryz.

Voracek will improve while Schenn and Simmonds are also nice pieces but to move those 2 in order to give Bryzgalov a 9 year contract? I think Holmgren has lost his mind here, though he more or less helped undo part of the mess he made by signing so many guys long-term...to then go give a goalie 9 years.

They got fair value, their team is hardly ruined - but their team identity and chemistry was destroyed and I don't know why it was done. Philly had a core that was guaranteed to contend every season, why trade Carter AND the face of your franchise? They finally have a goalie, sure, but he isn't an elite one and his contract is horrible. Their team is more likeable now though.

These moves are crazy but with JVR and Giroux they could afford it. Schenn is no slouch and Simmonds is fast and tough. I wouldn't say they destroyed themselves yet.

Don't forget Voracek, another beast. They probably have the most young talent in the league now.

Mark it down on your calenders, June 23, 2011 is the day the Flyers will regret for a long time. Firstly trading away Carter and Richards was a huge mistake. They are the faces of your franchise and were still young. Also giving Bryzgalov that crazy of a contract for someone who has not proven to be a playoff winning goalie. He's not the goalie you destoy the rest of your team for. He will be on their books until he is 40. I guess they felt that Briere and Giroux didnt need any help scoring. Voracek will be a good player and so will Schenn, but should the Flyers be looking at the future. To me there time is now, well at least it was. Oh well, now it wont be as dangerous to play the Flyers anymore.

The problem is that "the time is now" thing has been happening for 3 years. They did make the finals, but everyone knew they needed a goalie. Is Bryzgalof that goalie? I don't know, but I guess we can wait and see. I am a little disapointed that Carter couldn't come be a hab. I always liked him.

JVR, Giroux, Versteeg, Briere, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Lieno, Hartnall. That's a pile of first and second line talent. Add to that the shwack of picks they got as well as making room to sign a true #1 goaltender. Barring some chemistry meltdown, Philly will be strong in the present and with 3 first round picks, there future looks pretty good too.

There is supposed to be a lot of parity between the top 9 in this years draft, so getting the 8th overall pick could be a real gem too.

Well that's great that they have all that young talent up front to contend with in a couple of years... when Bryz is 35, Pronger is in his 40s, and they have issues there again! BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Folks, the Philly window? It's gone. They just closed it with their hand still in there. This is a terrible, terrible day for the Flyers. They now are relying on really young guys and really old guys. There are not enough prime year players. Did they need a goalie? Sure, they needed help there. But they signed a 31 year old guy for 9 years when they had a very promising 22 year old rookie. They could've signed a decent goalie for a couple of years and left it at that.

I can always see the argument for acquiring young talent, and Philly will still be a good team next season, but on reflection this is an absolutely bizarre move for the Flyers. Richards and Carter are only 26 - not even in their primes - and key parts of the core that took them to within one goal of the Stanley Cup only a year ago. You do NOT blow up a Cup Finalist that is nowhere past its prime. What a crushing indictment of that organization's total incompetence at developing or acquiring adequate goaltending. It looks to me as though Holmgren caught the Glen Sather disease of deciding he Absolutely Had to Have Player X and wound up going off the deep end in order to get him.

This is great news for the Habs. The one team that irrefutably had our number has shot its own foot off. :clap:

You guys are totally doing what you say is bad to do with our Habs.

You judge with 0 inside infos. They've just been swept by the Bruins, it always cause trouble in an organisation that is supposed to be a contender. Who knows if Richards and/or Carter were unhappy ? Same for Pronger or Giroux.

Other than the goalie signing, i think Philly is being smart and will be stronger in the long run, sorry to say

Carter had crazy contract and Richards is a mediocre player and lacks some class.

Hurray, Philly destroyed themselves!

You guys are totally doing what you say is bad to do with our Habs.

You judge with 0 inside infos. They've just been swept by the Bruins, it always cause trouble in an organisation that is supposed to be a contender. Who knows if Richards and/or Carter were unhappy ? Same for Pronger or Giroux.

True. But all we can go by is the knowledge we possess. And by those lights, this was a questionable deal if your goal is to contend now.

Richards and Pronger have butted heads before, so you could be quite correct. But having dealt one of the league's blood-and-guts all-around players and a 40-goal scorer, they're now relying on a guy with 8 games NHL experience (Schenn), another who has never scored more than 40 points (Simmonds) and an enigmatic youngster who frustrated Columbus (Voracek).

Add in the draft picks, and Philly is set with young talent for years to come. But does this make them better for next season? Maybe - but only if everything breaks their way.

Well that's great that they have all that young talent up front to contend with in a couple of years... when Bryz is 35, Pronger is in his 40s, and they have issues there again! BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Folks, the Philly window? It's gone. They just closed it with their hand still in there. This is a terrible, terrible day for the Flyers. They now are relying on really young guys and really old guys. There are not enough prime year players. Did they need a goalie? Sure, they needed help there. But they signed a 31 year old guy for 9 years when they had a very promising 22 year old rookie. They could've signed a decent goalie for a couple of years and left it at that.

I know that Pronger and Richards didn't get along, and I have to wonder if that played a factor. And since no one would take Pronger's contract, maybe that's why Richards was moved.