2011 Offseason Thread

dlbalr

It's time for the research and development camp where a whole bunch of ideas are tested. The good news is that at least some of them have merit. The ones that I like or that I think could be interesting:

- No-touch icing

- Verification line

- Shallow-back nets

- Trapezoid removal

- Wireless referee communications (really most of the tech/camera stuff is intriguing)

Here's the full schedule, what catches your eye? http://www.nhl.com/i...od-rr-headlines

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's time for the research and development camp where a whole bunch of ideas are tested. The good news is that at least some of them have merit. The ones that I like or that I think could be interesting:

- No-touch icing

- Verification line

- Shallow-back nets

- Trapezoid removal

- Wireless referee communications (really most of the tech/camera stuff is intriguing)

Here's the full schedule, what catches your eye? http://www.nhl.com/i...od-rr-headlines

No touch: just watch hockey everywhere else on the planet. No need to waste time in a development camp for that.

Verification line: seems like an economical solution for lower levels, rather than trying to put in a tennis-style shotspot system. But the shotspot style system would make goal reviews quick and unquestionable if it could be adapted for hockey.

Shallow-back nets: Let the kids rip the puck a few times and see how often and quickly the puck comes back into play. This should be the only concern for this development, as more ice back there is a good thing.

Trapezoid removal: We have 90 years of material for how hockey works without the trapezoid. Why are we wasting time with this? Either we like how it works now or we like how it was before.

Hybrid icing: Worth testing, as it's still only in use at a few levels.

Allow hand passes in all zones: Uh, why not just ban hand passes in the defensive zone? There are sticks for a reason.

Offsides result in faceoffs in own zone/no change allowed: Stupid. This will reduce offence on the rush. Hey, here's an idea, change the puck over glass rule to this one, since clearing the puck over the glass or the length of the ice is the same freaking thing.

No icing while SH/penalties run their course: In theory, I'm fine with this, but would rather concentrate on 5 on 5 situations. However, this would probably make the top PP's go from 25% to 35% or higher, possibly reducing stick fouls... or else make refs less inclined to call them.

Bear-hug Rule: Boy, you better be specific for what makes this okay and what makes it a penalty. I also want solid data that d-men are experiencing more injuries today than pre-lockout. Give me numbers to prove that this is necessary.

Curved glass: If it can prevent another Pacioretty incident, I'm for it.

Shootout variations: All stupid. All pointless. The only shootout variation that should be considered is its elimination.

All Star Skills Comp: I guess this is a free scouting session for the prospects now?

All-Stars Skills Comp : Bring anyone, All-Star or not !

I want to see the fastest skaters of the leagues, not the fastest All-Stars.

I want to see Glen Metropolit going 4 for 4 in the targets comp using SLAPSHOT and ONE-TIMER SLAPSHOT. (in case anyone missed it, it's just insane

)

Yes people want to see the best and, most of the time, All-Stars players will get the best results at these comp. But when someone (Grabovsky for example) can beat anyone who takes part in the fastest skater comp, then he should be in this comp. Same applies for Hardest Shot. If a 4th line grinder can shoot 102 m/h, then I want to see him, not Lecavalier or Richards pushing it at 95 m/h.

I have too say I am really not a fan of no touch icing, i know it would save some horrible injuries, but I do not like the no touch it actually bothers me when i watch non nhl games and they just stop it when there could be a really exciting rush for the puck instead of just an icing...

I have too say I am really not a fan of no touch icing, i know it would save some horrible injuries, but I do not like the no touch it actually bothers me when i watch non nhl games and they just stop it when there could be a really exciting rush for the puck instead of just an icing...

That's a cons. A pro would be that guys would get less tired and that these seconds where players are rushng, added up could probably give us one full more minute of actual real hockey.

Scott Hannan in Calgary for 1 year/1 million.

That's a pretty good deal for them. I have to think there's a reason he lasted that long and settled for that low of a deal, his play (though deteriorating) was good enough to get more I thought.

That's a pretty good deal for them. I have to think there's a reason he lasted that long and settled for that low of a deal, his play (though deteriorating) was good enough to get more I thought.

He probably saw the Wisniewski and Ehrhoff deals and thought his big payday was coming.

But all of a sudden, defensemen were signing for less than expected. There have only been about 3 overpayments for defensemen this offseason. I think Hannan's agent just misread the market.

So he signs a cheap 1 year deal close to his hometown in BC, will probably get dealt at the deadline to a contender (or stay with the Flames if they contend) and will probably sign early next July.

It seems as if the NHL isn't too happy with the Islanders who, as part of their summer promotion, have been re-airing games and having a viewing party. That's not the issue mind you. Their problem is with the Isles' decision to re-air the brawl-filled game vs Pittsburgh and their attempt to celebrate it.

Also, another NHL'er has died today as Rick Rypien passed away in his Vancouver home earlier tonight. He had just signed with Winnipeg earlier this offseason.

It seems as if the NHL isn't too happy with the Islanders who, as part of their summer promotion, have been re-airing games and having a viewing party. That's not the issue mind you. Their problem is with the Isles' decision to re-air the brawl-filled game vs Pittsburgh and their attempt to celebrate it.

Also, another NHL'er has died today as Rick Rypien passed away in his Vancouver home earlier tonight. He had just signed with Winnipeg earlier this offseason.

Apparently he has been battling depression... that is really sad too hear.

For those on Twitter, check out for #NHLBands. Very funny stuff.

Had to tweek bands names with NHL players. I.E. :

Sedin Dion

Kanye Weiss

Vanek at the disco

LaBarbera Streisand

Orr Lady Peace

my personal winner is : We were promised Jets Back

I was going through the list of unsigned NCAA seniors (the ones whose rights were lost on August 15th including one from the Habs) and one name stood out to me. Patrick White, a 1st rounder from Vancouver back in 2007, was unsigned by the Sharks. Even worse for San Jose was this was the guy they got for Christian Ehrhoff. The best news as a Hab fan though is this - no longer can we be ridiculed for being the last team to deem a 1st round pick so lousy that he wasn't worth signing...the Sharks now have that honour.

Boy, you know it's a slow week when this qualifies as one of the biggest signing/non-signing stories.

Patrick White, a 1st rounder from Vancouver back in 2007, was unsigned by the Sharks. Even worse for San Jose was this was the guy they got for Christian Ehrhoff.

Ouch thats rough...

I wonder if you fellows or ladies have seen the Hockey news predictions for this year? I find it curious that Philly is ranked fourth and that Columbus is ranked out of the playoffs. I predict that their fortunes will be reversed. Any other comments would be appreciated.

I wonder if you fellows or ladies have seen the Hockey news predictions for this year? I find it curious that Philly is ranked fourth and that Columbus is ranked out of the playoffs. I predict that their fortunes will be reversed. Any other comments would be appreciated.

I can't see the Flyers missing the playoffs despite losing Richards and Carter. I think their goaltending cost them quite a few games last year, Bryzgalov should win a few of those on his own which should offset the weakened offensive punch. I don't think the Flyers are runaway division winners (though I could easily see them winning the division especially if Crosby misses significant time) but in my books, they're still a playoff team for sure.

As for Columbus, I think they're a little better but they were really bad last year and have taken a downgrade in goal (Dekanich/Sanford simply can't be what Garon was for them as that above average backup to bail out Mason). If they make the playoffs, it'll be as a bottom seed and as their roster stands, I still think they're on the outside looking in for one more year.

I see the next season as a transition one for the Flyers. In my opinion, they are a 8th to 6th seed this season and when Giroux and Brière will really have taken control of the team, with JVR improving and a solid d corps, they'll be back 4th to 1st seed.

I can't see the Flyers missing the playoffs despite losing Richards and Carter. I think their goaltending cost them quite a few games last year, Bryzgalov should win a few of those on his own which should offset the weakened offensive punch. I don't think the Flyers are runaway division winners (though I could easily see them winning the division especially if Crosby misses significant time) but in my books, they're still a playoff team for sure.

As for Columbus, I think they're a little better but they were really bad last year and have taken a downgrade in goal (Dekanich/Sanford simply can't be what Garon was for them as that above average backup to bail out Mason). If they make the playoffs, it'll be as a bottom seed and as their roster stands, I still think they're on the outside looking in for one more year.

Thanx: I am going to agree to disagree. JoeL might be closer to the truth. I think Philly swung the pendulum too far and will find out how hard it is to replace those guys up the middle. I think Schenn may be a year or so away to compete at the Carter/Richard level. We will see. As for Columbus, and I didn't mean to suggest that they would be a fourth seed, but rather that they would be improved and had a good chance to make playoffs. There will be a lot of teams in the big HURT if they have to rely on their backup goalie, so my statement implies that they stay healthy at the goalie position. I like the new Jackets Carter,Prospal, Johansen and Wisniewski and a lot of that assumption relies on the progression of Johansen who I see as a similar situation as Schenn to a lesser degree.

Pronger is a huge question mark for Philly this year. He won't be ready at the start of training camp, and didn't finish last year.

I honestly don't think their goaltending cost them that many games, dblar. .916 and .915 SV%'s don't really allow for a lot of lost points. They were already allowing only about 2.5 goals a game, so that lost offence should account for more losses than any improvements in the GA column.

I honestly don't think their goaltending cost them that many games, dlbalr. .916 and .915 SV%'s don't really allow for a lot of lost points. They were already allowing only about 2.5 goals a game, so that lost offence should account for more losses than any improvements in the GA column.

You caught me, didn't check the stats when I posted that. As I said before, I don't think they're a runaway favourite for the division by any stretch but if Crosby is gone long-term, you have to think Philly will be in the hunt. It won't be the Islanders, probably not the Devils, and I'm not sold on the Rangers defensively just yet. Are they a better team today? Probably not (unless van Riemsdyk and Giroux have another level while guys like Jagr and Voracek step in to the shoes of the aforementioned) but they're still a playoff team; of that I have little doubt.

You caught me, didn't check the stats when I posted that. As I said before, I don't think they're a runaway favourite for the division by any stretch but if Crosby is gone long-term, you have to think Philly will be in the hunt. It won't be the Islanders, probably not the Devils, and I'm not sold on the Rangers defensively just yet. Are they a better team today? Probably not (unless van Riemsdyk and Giroux have another level while guys like Jagr and Voracek step in to the shoes of the aforementioned) but they're still a playoff team; of that I have little doubt.

I generally agree, but I think Philly has a lot more question marks than Pittsburgh.... Pitt is a great roster that probably has close to a 1 in 3 shot at winning the East if Crosby comes back and plays even 50 games. Pitt has the best D in the conference plus some pretty good offensive players beyond Crosby... without Sid and Geno last year they still held their own.

I don't think anyone in that division will really touch Pittsburgh.... I'm thinking there will be a dozen or more point gap between first and second there. Philly, Jersey and the Rangers are in the battle for playoff spots, but there are a lot of open spots this year and Philly will more than likely be there in the end. Might end up being a 2 v 7 Pitt-Philly first round, though.

Pitt has the best D in the conference plus some pretty good offensive players beyond Crosby... without Sid and Geno last year they still held their own.

With everyone healthy, I wouldn't write Philly's defense off. I prefer their 5-6 of Carle and Lilja/Bartulis to Pitts 5-6 of Niskanen-Engelland/Lovejoy.

The battle is pretty much

Timmonen - Letang

Pronger - Martin

Mezjaros - Michalek

Coburn - Orpik

and then

Carle - Niskanen

Lilja/Bartulis - Engelland/Lovejoy

I generally agree, but I think Philly has a lot more question marks than Pittsburgh.... Pitt is a great roster that probably has close to a 1 in 3 shot at winning the East if Crosby comes back and plays even 50 games. Pitt has the best D in the conference plus some pretty good offensive players beyond Crosby... without Sid and Geno last year they still held their own.

I don't think anyone in that division will really touch Pittsburgh.... I'm thinking there will be a dozen or more point gap between first and second there. Philly, Jersey and the Rangers are in the battle for playoff spots, but there are a lot of open spots this year and Philly will more than likely be there in the end. Might end up being a 2 v 7 Pitt-Philly first round, though.

I for one like what the Rangers have done, and will go out on limb and say they are the surprise team in the East. New Jersey comes back to the pack and Pittsburg is better than Philly even without Crosby making it uphill skiing for Philly all year.

Another NHL'er passes away, this time Wade Belak is found dead at just age 35. This has been a rough offseason for the league for sure, 3 guys in basically as many months.

The Kings have formally filed a grievance against the Oilers over the Ryan Smyth deal. The issue is with Colin Fraser, who was, according to Edmonton doctors, fully healthy but upon closer review by LA's medical staff, it was revealed he wasn't and actually needed surgery. LA isn't looking to reverse the deal, it seems as if they just want compensation for having to take on damaged goods.

Columbus gives Fedor Tyutin a 6 year extension worth $4.5 million per year. And I thought Wisniewski's deal was bad...

Finally, Marc Savard is officially out for this season with high doubts he'll ever play again. Can't say I'm surprised.

Another NHL'er passes away, this time Wade Belak is found dead at just age 35. This has been a rough offseason for the league for sure, 3 guys in basically as many months.

The Kings have formally filed a grievance against the Oilers over the Ryan Smyth deal. The issue is with Colin Fraser, who was, according to Edmonton doctors, fully healthy but upon closer review by LA's medical staff, it was revealed he wasn't and actually needed surgery. LA isn't looking to reverse the deal, it seems as if they just want compensation for having to take on damaged goods.

Columbus gives Fedor Tyutin a 6 year extension worth $4.5 million per year. And I thought Wisniewski's deal was bad...

Finally, Marc Savard is officially out for this season with high doubts he'll ever play again. Can't say I'm surprised.

Despite all the negative news in hockey, Crosby, Savard, BooGuard, Belak and Ripien the Ontario Major JR. A has legislated in soft caps on shoulder and elbow pads which is something long overdue and might have made a difference for a couple of the formentioned had it been law in the NHL.

Despite all the negative news in hockey, Crosby, Savard, BooGuard, Belak and Ripien the Ontario Major JR. A has legislated in soft caps on shoulder and elbow pads which is something long overdue and might have made a difference for a couple of the formentioned had it been law in the NHL.

As much as I can't stand David Branch (largely due to his inconsistencies in discipline - which always depends on the teams involved - and his tendency to hold a grudge for way too long), I have to give him credit for not being afraid to get creative in terms of trying to protect player safety. Whether it's this, mandatory helmets during fights, or the no headchecking rule, he's not afraid to try new things and quite often they're beneficial.