Markov signs 3 year contract

ForumGhost

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know how much money this leaves us with?

Crap, was that what those mortgage papers were for? :P

Uh, I think we have like $10m or so to spend still, with Gorges the only significant RFA.

Glad to see him signed - that was critical for next year, but I really wish they locked him up for 5-6 years at a bit lower of a cap hit ($5.2m avg hit long term would have been awesome).

I really hope they also try and get Wiz signed. The following D would be pretty solid:

Subban-Markov

Wiz-yemelin

Gorges-weber

Gill

Delete spacek

Glad to see him signed - that was critical for next year, but I really wish they locked him up for 5-6 years at a bit lower of a cap hit ($5.2m avg hit long term would have been awesome).

I really hope they also try and get Wiz signed. The following D would be pretty solid:

Subban-Markov

Wiz-yemelin

Gorges-weber

Gill

Delete spacek

His injuries must have scared them. His career could easily be over before 5 years is up and then we would be stuck with a terrible contract.

That D would be perfect, they would have to trade Spacek for the forward equivalent of Spacek to open up a spot for Emelin.

I've been very appreciative of Habs29's posts lately, but I too disagree that we should have locked up Markov long-term. His value is more likely to decline than increase at this stage. My guess is the Habs wanted to sign him to a 1-year deal and they were pushed into two years in the negotiations. If he continues to play well we can probably re-sign him at a similar rate in two years' time; clearly he wants to play here, which makes a huge difference.

I haven't worked out the cap ramifications, but at its face it seems as though we should be able to make a decent offer to Wiz. If the only reason for NOT doing that is Spacek, then that is not a reason at all. Do it and then find a way to dump Spacek or, worst case, buy him out. (Or am I screwing up yet again in my understanding of the CBA for players with Spacek's profile? :monkey: )

Although this is great news, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. He wasn't going anywhere and the cap hit/term is pretty much dead on. It's been so long it seems since Markov has played that it's easy to forget that this guy was our MVP. Eventhough Wiz did a great job replacing Markov, he is no Markov. I think PG deserves alot of credit for the job he is doing thus far. I can't wait to see what the finished product will look like.

But in other news, THIS seems kinda f**ked up:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/hamrlik-to-get-contract-offer-report

The offer might be something really low. But if it's not, my reaction is one big "HUH???" :blink::blink::blink:

I've been very appreciative of Habs29's posts lately, but I too disagree that we should have locked up Markov long-term. His value is more likely to decline than increase at this stage. My guess is the Habs wanted to sign him to a 1-year deal and they were pushed into two years in the negotiations. If he continues to play well we can probably re-sign him at a similar rate in two years' time; clearly he wants to play here, which makes a huge difference.

I haven't worked out the cap ramifications, but at its face it seems as though we should be able to make a decent offer to Wiz. If the only reason for NOT doing that is Spacek, then that is not a reason at all. Do it and then find a way to dump Spacek or, worst case, buy him out. (Or am I screwing up yet again in my understanding of the CBA for players with Spacek's profile? :monkey: )

Looks like Markov hasn't been signed.

If you look at the injuries Markov has had they hav been freaky, bad luck type of injuries and have not been ones that are not ones that are not the "damaged goods" type of injuries that are of the chronic bad knee being constantly re-injured variety.

20 years ago Serge Savard wrote off Chelios knee surgeries thinking he was done - he went on to play another 18 years and be continued to be a dominent norris trophy defensemen.

If they sign Markov for 2 years, he will be 34 and will probably be looking for a longer term deal, before he hits the dreaded 35 year old limbo zone. he will probably want more years then, since it will be harder to get gauranteed deals at 35.

As far as Spacek. He can't be bough out. He can be sent down to the minors, but we are still stuck with his salary cap hit. The only way to move him is via trade - which i really think we can do - IF the habs want to move him. But for some reason, JM and PG seem to really like the guy, even though he has clearly shown he is pretty much done and isn't capable of playing regular minutes over the full course of a season.

The offer might be something really low. But if it's not, my reaction is one big "HUH???" :blink::blink::blink:

Well, he was our #1 D last year. I didn't understand bringing back Gill before Roman, to be honest.

This would indicate that Wiz is not coming back. It will again put the speculation w/r/t Spacek in the air, as well.

I had almost had a heart attack when I saw that - I thought he was actually signed. This makes abosultely NO SENSE at all to want to have e of three of the old goats - Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek ALL return and not resign a 27/28 year old Wiz.

Damn it, to me, if Yemelin and Weber show they belong, Gill is the 7th Dman on the team (assuming we can dump Spacek via trade) - which is what I'd want Gill as. WHy the hell would we want all three of Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek back????

Even if Hamrlik is real cheap (under $2M) AND we can move Spacek, we really need to give Weber and Yemelin a chance. Last thing i want is Yemelin to run back to Russia because JM didn't give him a fair chance, while overlooking Spacek, Hamrlik and Gill's blatent giveaways or pylon impressions.

His injuries must have scared them. His career could easily be over before 5 years is up and then we would be stuck with a terrible contract.

That D would be perfect, they would have to trade Spacek for the forward equivalent of Spacek to open up a spot for Emelin.

Markov's injuries haven't been a reoccurance of the same injury. They have been very freaky incidents. Serge Savard wrote off Chelios similarly 20 years ago after he had a couple of knee operations thinking that he would be done like Bobby Orr. Chelios went on to play another 18 years and was still a norris winning defensemen. Wiz also has had a couple of major knee surgeries, those surgeries didn't slow him down any.

In the case of Markov, its a more of a matter of hoping he doesn't keep getting hit by freaky Koivu type injuries (and in his case cancer) that impacted Koivu, but really at this stage, Markov has looked good everytime he's come back. it's just that he has kept getting hit by another freaky injuries within a very short time of coming back from an injury.

3 slow old timers seems 1 too many, when Habs have several young d-men ready/almost ready, like Weber/Nash/Carle/Diaz, can only hope that if 44 is signed, that Spacek is gone somehow? But highly unlikely!

Otherwise, I am fine with Hamrlik resigning, if at 1/2 salary and 1 year.

Hopefully Markov and Gorges get inked sooner than later!

Yemelin hasnt even shown he can play in NHL yet, and he seems to be a typical Russian who is keen only on the $$ and would jump ship whenever he feels like it, just a stereotype, but i have little faith and there are plenty of North Americans and Europeans to choose from to worry about Yemelin, Trunev, and other possibly wasted picks. Just hope Timmons does not waste another in this draft..

I had almost had a heart attack when I saw that - I thought he was actually signed. This makes abosultely NO SENSE at all to want to have e of three of the old goats - Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek ALL return and not resign a 27/28 year old Wiz.

Damn it, to me, if Yemelin and Weber show they belong, Gill is the 7th Dman on the team (assuming we can dump Spacek via trade) - which is what I'd want Gill as. WHy the hell would we want all three of Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek back????

Even if Hamrlik is real cheap (under $2M) AND we can move Spacek, we really need to give Weber and Yemelin a chance. Last thing i want is Yemelin to run back to Russia because JM didn't give him a fair chance, while overlooking Spacek, Hamrlik and Gill's blatent giveaways or pylon impressions.

Before we all panic about Hamrlik, we really should keep the following in mind.

1. He was still a quality defenceman for us last season, doing yeoman's work in Markov's absence. He is certainly a cut above Spacek in my mind. Quite a useful all-around D-man as long as you manage his minutes.

2. We don't know the salary range being contemplated. Seems to me that I remember a lot of us saying last year that we'd take him back at a much-reduced rate. Somehow - perhaps because of Emelin - we are now ready to throw him under the bus. Yes, Hammer at $5 mil was a waste of money. But Hammer at (say) $2 mil?

3. Emelin is totally unproven. Factor that in when you fantasize about the D-chart.

What I find outrageous about this is that it pretty much signals that the Habs do not expect to sign Wiz. That, I think, is a grave mistake, unless management deems Weber ready to play a *much* bigger role. And that's why I regard this as bad news. Taken purely for what he is, Hammer at an affordable rate would be a good signing.

And a factor you're not considering, CC:

Wiz might be completely out of our price range. Do we really want to keep Wiz if he's asking for Markov money? He was arguably our #3 d-man last year even with Markov and Gorges out. And Markov and Gorges, and you're looking at our #4 d-man right now, and then for 4-7 years into the future is he going to ever be more than that?

Also, with Weber, we'd have 3 RH puck moving D, plus Markov on the left side. That's nice to have, but it is definitely a surplus situation. We could use Weber as trade bait, but again... is that the best use of our resources?

I'm not saying we can't afford Wiz... I'm just wondering if we really need or even want to.

And a factor you're not considering, CC:

Wiz might be completely out of our price range. Do we really want to keep Wiz if he's asking for Markov money? He was arguably our #3 d-man last year even with Markov and Gorges out. And Markov and Gorges, and you're looking at our #4 d-man right now, and then for 4-7 years into the future is he going to ever be more than that?

Also, with Weber, we'd have 3 RH puck moving D, plus Markov on the left side. That's nice to have, but it is definitely a surplus situation. We could use Weber as trade bait, but again... is that the best use of our resources?

I'm not saying we can't afford Wiz... I'm just wondering if we really need or even want to.

I am convinced he's a bona fide #2 defenceman, but you're right that he may turn out to be simply too expensive. I'm not saying we sign him for Brian Campbell money. We won't know, in the end, until he signs someplace. All I can say is that it had better not be another Dominic Moore scenario (where it turns out the guy was affordable, but Habs management just assumed he wouldn't be).

I'm sure i'm in the minority here but 5.5 and 6 mill for a guy that played 20 games or so in the last 2 years with a bad knee. that's crazy. I like Markov as a player and when healthy he is a top 10 d amn for sure but this one may come back to bite them.

i assume it will be

markov Gorges

Gill Subban

Spacek Yemelin and Weber

No room for Wiz or Hamrlik.

Except they are apparently gunna offter Hamrlik a contract. Unless they plan to move Spacek, why did they sign Yemelin? As an injury-filler?

No sense in giving a roster spot to Emelin, he's never played in North America. This way it's his to earn, and if he doesn't, well, see ya!

We sometimes forget that winning teams usually have a surplus of talent. Look at Vancouver, sitting Keith Ballard. I see nothing wrong with having guys fight it out for their roster spot.