Season Opener

kenadian

I am getting tired of the Habs having to play these huge, emotional games to open the season. This game is massively tilted against the habs as it is a huge opener for Winnipeg and that team will be pumped.

Why can't Vancouver go there and donate the two points for a change.

I am getting tired of the Habs having to play these huge, emotional games to open the season. This game is massively tilted against the habs as it is a huge opener for Winnipeg and that team will be pumped.

Why can't Vancouver go there and donate the two points for a change.

The Habs do request to start each year with a road trip and the league generally tries to get good games on the schedule at the beginning. What will drum up more interest, Habs vs Winnipeg or Habs vs Islanders?

Habs don't need to drum up interest, Winnipeg does.

:)

The Habs do request to start each year with a road trip and the league generally tries to get good games on the schedule at the beginning. What will drum up more interest, Habs vs Winnipeg or Habs vs Islanders?

Habs don't need to drum up interest, Winnipeg does.

:)

Do they? They've sold out every game already and I'd say fan interest is pretty high. For Winnipeg (who I believe asked for a Canadian opponent), this will get them going with a bang.

Years ago, when the Habs were annual contenders, I used to notice that we had more grudge matches/rivalry games per season than anyone else. Quebec? Check. Leafs? Check. Boston? Check. Calgary? Check. Hartford? Check. Buffalo? Check. Philly? Check. When Ottawa showed up, they considered us 'rivals' as well. Check. Any Original Six team? Check.

Even now, despite 20 years of mediocrity and thus little opportunity to build up playoff grudges, teams still get up to play the Habs, the team of myth and fable. And our recent resurgence means that Philly and Boston, once again, genuinely hate our guts.

This has its pros and cons. The 'con' is that you're going to lose games strictly due to being unable to match the intensity of your opponent. For instance, back when we were elite and the Leafs were total crap, they used to beat us a disproportionate per centage of the time, because they'd be totally hyped for the game and our guys would snooze. You're also at heightened risk of injury with all these grudge battles. When you're a so-so team, all this becomes really aggravating.

The 'pro' is that, if you have a good team, all these challenges make you better. You're accustomed to playing at a high level in high intensity games. This makes you a battle-tested squad come playoff time.

Of course Winnipeg wants to draw us for its opening game. When all is said and done, there is only one Greatest Franchise in the History of the Game. And it's us. For better and worse, it's a compliment. Take it in that spirit. But yes, we'll likely lose that game.

Years ago, when the Habs were annual contenders, I used to notice that we had more grudge matches/rivalry games per season than anyone else. Quebec? Check. Leafs? Check. Boston? Check. Calgary? Check. Hartford? Check. Buffalo? Check. Philly? Check. When Ottawa showed up, they considered us 'rivals' as well. Check. Any Original Six team? Check.

Even now, despite 20 years of mediocrity and thus little opportunity to build up playoff grudges, teams still get up to play the Habs, the team of myth and fable. And our recent resurgence means that Philly and Boston, once again, genuinely hate our guts.

This has its pros and cons. The 'con' is that you're going to lose games strictly due to being unable to match the intensity of your opponent. For instance, back when we were elite and the Leafs were total crap, they used to beat us a disproportionate per centage of the time, because they'd be totally hyped for the game and our guys would snooze. You're also at heightened risk of injury with all these grudge battles. When you're a so-so team, all this becomes really aggravating.

The 'pro' is that, if you have a good team, all these challenges make you better. You're accustomed to playing at a high level in high intensity games. This makes you a battle-tested squad come playoff time.

Of course Winnipeg wants to draw us for its opening game. When all is said and done, there is only one Greatest Franchise in the History of the Game. And it's us. For better and worse, it's a compliment. Take it in that spirit. But yes, we'll likely lose that game.

That didn't take long for the negativity to arise. We are already 0-1?

We can only hope to get a Bettman point. :surrender:

:lol: Thank you Gary! I'm thinking of that stupid Ottawa Senators inaugural game, where a piece of crap expansion team managed to eke out a win over us through sheer emotional hyperdrive. This is only 'pessimism' if you draw wider conclusions from this hypothetical defeat, which I wouldn't.

Mind-blowing. Presumably it's maneouvering to fit Bryzghalov under the cap, but holy macaroni.

There are no words. Is that team a contender now? I don't know if I have ever been more shocked.

There are no words. Is that team a contender now? I don't know if I have ever been more shocked.

Well they lost 66 + 66 points from their lineup and gained 46 + (X & X)...

And now they can sign a goaltender that has won 1 playoff round in his career...

Honestly... Philly seems like it's a worse team next season unless Schenn and Simmonds are lights out.