2011 Draft Thread/Chat - June 24, 7PM

sakiqc

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Nygren's wikipedia page is to be believed, he's a 21 year old Swede playing for Färjestads BK.

Last season he put up 15 points (4 goals, 11 assists) in 22 games.

He is 21, wondering if the Habs will try to get him to Hamilton right away. I'm quite impressed with what I've been reading about him so far.

He is 21, wondering if the Habs will try to get him to Hamilton right away. I'm quite impressed with what I've been reading about him so far.

At 21, did he really need to be drafted? Couldn't he have just been signed?

At 21, did he really need to be drafted? Couldn't he have just been signed?

This was his last year of eligibility. In theory, he could've been signed if undrafted but according to an interview with Nygren himself, several NHL teams had been talking to him. Perhaps there'd have been a bidding war had he gone undrafted?

I'm quite intrigued with this player, real promising offensive skill set with some upside. Lots of scouting sites had him going well before this point. I've also posted a Q and A with him on the site.

Kinda sounds like Avtsin

Interesting draft for Montreal.

Only one player under 6 feet, 5 defenseman, no goalies, 5 North Americans, 1 player of immediate help to Hamilton (maybe)...

That's a bit of a change from past draft strategies.

Interesting draft for Montreal.

Only one player under 6 feet, 5 defenseman, no goalies, 5 North Americans, 1 player of immediate help to Hamilton (maybe)...

That's a bit of a change from past draft strategies.

Most reports indicate above-average skating for most of our picks too.

There are a few videos about him on YouTube. Good stick handling and very nice pass from his zone for a brake-away by a forward. Also, a good slap shot from the blue line for a goal on a power play. Not much, but he looks good on both plays.

We said that about Avtsin, and so far it doesn't look as promising as we hope, but that guy could be a steal. Time will tell.

Avtsin was a rookie in the AHL at 19 years old. He'll be given a greater role this season, so I wouldn't write him off yet.

Sounds like a pretty productive draft. Quite a game.

Sounds like it. We'll know in 4 years.

Now is the time for our draftees of 4 years ago to impress us. Is Danny Kristo still in college? Hope to see him in Hamilton sooner than later.

Sounds like it. We'll know in 4 years.

Now is the time for our draftees of 4 years ago to impress us. Is Danny Kristo still in college? Hope to see him in Hamilton sooner than later.

He has 2 years of college eligibility left and has already indicated he intends to play there once again this season.

Avtsin, teenager in new country and no-english, with nagging injuries and not alot of ice time, see how he does this year before writing him off

Avtsin was a rookie in the AHL at 19 years old. He'll be given a greater role this season, so I wouldn't write him off yet.

ON the Draft- If anyone tries to sell the fact that the Habs pick the best person available, they should be committed. I believe they were trying to hit a home run. I expect some of those picks might have been still available at the end of draft. I like that there was reasonable size and the first pick was from N/A and will be available to us sooner than later. We don't have any choice but to trust Timmins. Please don't make him into a SAINT.