Is there serious talk about moving Gomez?

REV-G

drop Gomez, and then who would you sign? I'd really like to hear a solution.

Modano would work for a year. Andy Macdonald would work. Chris Higgins would be interesting. Mike Rupp maybe. Steen or Stajan. Chris Kelly. Wojtek Wolski. Handzus. You already have Eller, who is hurt, which is a bit of problem. You pick one of these guys and add to Eller and Desharnais and you easily cover off Gomez. There are more names out there. All you are really looking for is enough depth to get you through the year.

P.S. I don't know what you were looking at this year, but I seen more gift passes going to the opposition than his wing mates.

See this is where I do not get what you're thinking, you act like Gomez is holding the team back then offer up a very aging vet in Modano as a replacement? Wolski was so bad he was bought out, Higgins was tried here, he is not a top 6 player. I watched every habs game this year, there was plenty of times Gomez passed perfectly to a teamate only to have them gaff it. Sure, when you have the puck more than any other player there is going to be cough ups. I chalk it up to a player trying to do too much, cause to be honest how many puck movers did montreal have on the team? Subban....umm Gomez, Eller was good with the puck.

I am not against nixing Gomez, but you need someone to replace him, the options you listed were lacking, next year Eller will have more experience and might be ready for more than 3rd line duties.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worry about players who put up higher than normal numbers with Washington due to their play style, he would be a decent replacement I guess, not completely sold on the guy, but he's a better solution than has been presented above.

I worry about players who put up higher than normal numbers with Washington due to their play style, he would be a decent replacement I guess, not completely sold on the guy, but he's a better solution than has been presented above.

I'm on the bandwagon of don't touch him with a 10 foot pole. His best role is as a 3rd line two-way centre, at least in my opinion. He also is very streaky offensively. Down the stretch (March 1st to the end of the playoffs), he had 4 goals in 28 games. He also had a 3 goal in 29 games stretch earlier in the season. He isn't the offensive solution and is nowhere worth the 4+ million people are suggesting. Someone will give it to him, I just hope it's not the Habs.

I'm on the bandwagon of don't touch him with a 10 foot pole. His best role is as a 3rd line two-way centre, at least in my opinion. He also is very streaky offensively. Down the stretch (March 1st to the end of the playoffs), he had 4 goals in 28 games. He also had a 3 goal in 29 games stretch earlier in the season. He isn't the offensive solution and is nowhere worth the 4+ million people are suggesting. Someone will give it to him, I just hope it's not the Habs.

A streaky player that dies at important parts of the season really isn't a great solution...

I mean, Gomez's salary is one of the most ridiculous in the NHL if not the most.... but anyone else think he is going to have a much better season this year?

I believe he will head into this season with the objective of proving all the haters wrong, he probably (i only say probably to be nice) won't put up the numbers to earn his salary, I really do think he will be a much better player next year though.

dlbar speaks wisdom. Laich seems like a useful player but he's what, 28? It seems unlikely he'd have a huge offensive breakout at this stage of his career. I don't doubt he would represent a good addition to our team; the problem is that with the UFA crop so horrible, he is almost guaranteed to get hugely overpaid.

Hmmm. Maybe bar's right - the market may not be there to support a 'platoon.' I guess Fleischmann can play C...Connolly...Handzus...these guys are options but pretty imperfect. Odds are that the Habs keep Gomer, perhaps go for one of the name defencemen but most likely add a 'useful' middling piece along the lines of Fleischmann. I guess.

dlbar speaks wisdom. Laich seems like a useful player but he's what, 28? It seems unlikely he'd have a huge offensive breakout at this stage of his career. I don't doubt he would represent a good addition to our team; the problem is that with the UFA crop so horrible, he is almost guaranteed to get hugely overpaid.

Hmmm. Maybe bar's right - the market may not be there to support a 'platoon.' I guess Fleischmann can play C...Connolly...Handzus...these guys are options but pretty imperfect. Odds are that the Habs keep Gomer, perhaps go for one of the name defencemen but most likely add a 'useful' middling piece along the lines of Fleischmann. I guess.

I have already stated that I think we don't make a move. I do believe there are options out there better than what happened last year. I would like to put Gomez on a short leash but an opportunity to move him may be diminished after we get into season. I am thinking that Koivu and Tanguay have big smiles when a hab fan decides who is top six. My recollection of Higgins was he played pretty well and was removed for other concerns.

Yeah, Laich is locked up for 6 years at 4.5 or 4.75 depending on the sources.

Gomer is here, we keep his salary, i don't think there will be a trade that would include any good return.

I still believe he will have a come back year of some kind :D

A streaky player that dies at important parts of the season really isn't a great solution...

I mean, Gomez's salary is one of the most ridiculous in the NHL if not the most.... but anyone else think he is going to have a much better season this year?

I believe he will head into this season with the objective of proving all the haters wrong, he probably (i only say probably to be nice) won't put up the numbers to earn his salary, I really do think he will be a much better player next year though.

I really like Gomez a lot. My dream scenario is that this team guy with the brilliant puck carrying skills gets a great cheer when he first skates onto the ice and goes on to have a solid season with the Habs. Do not many top performers have some gaps in their resumes?

And if a good deal is struck, I wish him all the best wherever he goes. I think he's a real standup guy.

Mind you.. I chose to live in Toronto, so what the hell do I know!

According to these guys, the talk of moving him is serious. Whether these guys know their arses from their elbows is another question.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl110628.html

Laich gets 4.75m per from the Caps. Looks like they just waited until they saw the cap # before getting serious on the offers.

Yea and I believe that was for six years. It appears Washington values Laich a lot higher than habs fan. A lot higher!

Yea and I believe that was for six years. It appears Washington values Laich a lot higher than habs fan. A lot higher!

Or, their GM is nuts. Both cases can be made. 45-55 point forwards shouldn't be making 4.5+ million, I don't care how good they are defensively. Heck, there are some who are hesitant to give a 45-55 point defenceman that type of money.

Or, their GM is nuts. Both cases can be made. 45-55 point forwards shouldn't be making 4.5+ million, I don't care how good they are defensively. Heck, there are some who are hesitant to give a 45-55 point defenceman that type of money.

Thank you Dlbair

It makes more sense to keep a guy at 38 pts/ +/- @-15 and cost over 7.5 Mper

Who's that you say? GOMEZ

THE DEFENSE RESTS

Thank you Dlbair

It makes more sense to keep a guy at 38 pts/ +/- @-15 and cost over 7.5 Mper

Who's that you say? GOMEZ

THE DEFENSE RESTS

Gomez is overpaid. He will never earn that contract, but the higher the cap goes, the less of an albatross it becomes.

I really wish player's values would be determined more on their play instead of fantasy pool stats. Seems people are just thrilled that Gomez played like crap last season so they can latch onto that contract anchor talk again. Yet the Habs seemingly have cap room to play with and the well is dry on a UFA 2nd line C to snatch.

So let's see, is a proven 2nd line center available as a UFA? Most would agree no. Is Gomez's contract preventing the Habs from making a high dollar offer to a top 6 forward. Nope, because there really aren't any out there to send an offer to. Will the Habs be able to at least equal Gomez's play if they simply dump him and fill the role internally? Not that I can see. No Halpern next year, no Eller until Nov, if you trade him, no Gomez. That leaves DD. Yikes.

The salary cap has increased by nearly $8M since the acquisition of Gomez. That "free" $8M could sign a heckuva player, if one was available.

I really wish player's values would be determined more on their play instead of fantasy pool stats. Seems people are just thrilled that Gomez played like crap last season so they can latch onto that contract anchor talk again. Yet the Habs seemingly have cap room to play with and the well is dry on a UFA 2nd line C to snatch.

So let's see, is a proven 2nd line center available as a UFA? Most would agree no. Is Gomez's contract preventing the Habs from making a high dollar offer to a top 6 forward. Nope, because there really aren't any out there to send an offer to. Will the Habs be able to at least equal Gomez's play if they simply dump him and fill the role internally? Not that I can see. No Halpern next year, no Eller until Nov, if you trade him, no Gomez. That leaves DD. Yikes.

The salary cap has increased by nearly $8M since the acquisition of Gomez. That "free" $8M could sign a heckuva player, if one was available.

:thumbs_up:

As long as it isn't handcuffing the team, I have no problem with him. He will bounce back this season AND still will not be worth $7M.

Agreed with the posts above.

If Gomez rebounds this season, imagine what he would be worth next season...productive player, cap hit of 7.2ish, actual salary 4.5, it'd be like a floor teams dream come true. We should all hope Gomez regains his form, also remember that Gomez wasn't the only had under performing this season, it could be the JM system of defense first, but that's here nor there, Cammy, Gionta AND Gomez all need better seasons.

This is absolute nonsensical hyperbole.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110628/mtl_habshug_engels_110628/20110628/?hub=MontrealSports

Gomez the second worst trade in franchise history?

We all know what number one is, but how soon Engels forgets the Chelios/Savard trade. The one where we gave up a player who played another 18 years in the league and won two Norris trophies after leaving Montreal for Savard who produced 179 points in 210 games and wasn't even a factor in the Stanley Cup Final.

Leclair, Desjardins and Dionne for Recchi and Mark Lamb? What about Guy Carbonneau for Jim Montgomery? Claude Lemieux for Sylvain Turgeon? Shall I go on?

Valentenko, Higgins, Janyk? The only way it even approaches the top 20 worst trades is if McDonagh becomes a number one defenseman. Yes, we get it. Gomez has a shitty contract.

Move forward with the rising cap, don't dwell on the past. Gomez is extremely overpaid, but he is not the second worst trade in franchise history. That is just dumb.

This is absolute nonsensical hyperbole.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110628/mtl_habshug_engels_110628/20110628/?hub=MontrealSports

Gomez the second worst trade in franchise history?

We all know what number one is, but how soon Engels forgets the Chelios/Savard trade. The one where we gave up a player who played another 18 years in the league and won two Norris trophies after leaving Montreal for Savard who produced 179 points in 210 games and wasn't even a factor in the Stanley Cup Final.

Leclair, Desjardins and Dionne for Recchi and Mark Lamb? What about Guy Carbonneau for Jim Montgomery? Claude Lemieux for Sylvain Turgeon? Shall I go on?

Valentenko, Higgins, Janyk? The only way it even approaches the top 20 worst trades is if McDonagh becomes a number one defenseman. Yes, we get it. Gomez has a shitty contract.

Move forward with the rising cap, don't dwell on the past. Gomez is extremely overpaid, but he is not the second worst trade in franchise history. That is just dumb.

It was the second worst trade of the Gainey era - the worst being the Ribeiro trade - and no more than that. Well spoken as usual, Wamsley.

It was the second worst trade of the Gainey era - the worst being the Ribeiro trade - and no more than that. Well spoken as usual, Wamsley.

It's hard to compare it to pre-lockout trades because the Gomez trade would never have happened in a pre-cap NHL. Montreal actually received the best player in the deal. How do you compare that to all the Houle trades where Montreal dealt the best player(s) in each deal? Unless McDonagh gones on to be a top 4 d-man, I don't even think this was a bad trade for Montreal. They traded spare parts for an overpaid core player, which helped them bring in Cammalleri and Gionta, two more core players.

It's hard to compare it to pre-lockout trades because the Gomez trade would never have happened in a pre-cap NHL. Montreal actually received the best player in the deal. How do you compare that to all the Houle trades where Montreal dealt the best player(s) in each deal? Unless McDonagh gones on to be a top 4 d-man, I don't even think this was a bad trade for Montreal. They traded spare parts for an overpaid core player, which helped them bring in Cammalleri and Gionta, two more core players.

It hasn't even hampered them. They are sitting with millions to spend on July 1st. This is essentially a rehash of an argument that was valid when he was signed and becomes less important with every year removed from his contract and every year that the cap increases.

• 2008 he took up 15% of the Rangers cap and was paid $10M per.

• 2009 it dropped to 13% and an $8M commitment

• 2010 it remained 13%/$8M

• 2011 it dropped to 12% and $7.5M

• 2012 it dropped again to 11% and $7.5M

Next season it will likely drop again and the salary commitment will be only $5.5M per season.

It seems like a relatively lazy stance with the cap continuing to sky rocket from $39M to $64M since the lockout. It obviously has to stop at some point, but a $7.3M cap commitment on a $50M cap and one on a $64M one constitutes a huge difference. He is overpaid and if he drops another 30 point season than he will be dealt, he might get dealt if he puts up another 60 point season considering all the teams needing to reach a floor that is $8M more than the initial salary cap.

I am not really that worried about him at this point, suggesting that 3/4ths of the guys dealt for him have done NOTHING has resulted in the 2nd worst trade of anything is silly to me.