How Tomas Fleischmann can end up with the Habs.

jmaac1

As we keep getting closer to free agency a possible trade scenario keeps occurring in my mind. Colorado sending The rights to Thomas Fleischmann and a 7 round pick to Montreal for Jaroslav Spacek and Travis Moen.<br>Now this might be a bit of long shot, considering the little interest that spacek would garner around the league. But bare with me, as we all know spacek  is 36 years old with a cap hit of 3.8 million, yes these are pretty daunting numbers to look at but I've seen worst trades happen over the years, (gomez for one). And as we reach free agency, their will be a couple of teams who will struggle to reach the cap limit this year. I for one think that Colorado is the likeliest to struggle and thus prompting me to believe they will consider all options this offseason. Hence that this is a trade that would work out well for both teams.<br><br>For montreal they get that big coveted center/forward that they've been looking for. Although he is a risk because of his health, fleischmann nevertheless is a top six forward in the league when healthy and can be signed for a reasonable price. Plus can you imagine the chemistry he would build with fellow czech thomas plekanec intriguing isn't it. And don't discard the fact that Montreal is dumping salary with spacek and moen giving them more cap flexibility to sign gorges and possibly wiz, while also rounding out there bottom six forwards, possibly with Talbot and Konopka. <br><br><br>As for Colorado, they are one of the teams with a ton of cap space (35 million to be exact) who could struggle to get to the cap limit because of a very weak free agent market this year. Thus enter spacek who is still a solid veteran defenseman that can chip in on offence here and there, while also not being a liability on the ice ( +9) this year. And as for moen they get a solid 4th line energy player who can drop the gloves and has a lot of playoff experience (won stanley cup in 2007 with the ducks). Both of these players carry a combined cap hit of 5.3 million raising colorado's cap payroll from 29 million to almost 35 million. Thus giving them about 15 million more to reach the limit, which should make things a lot easier for them. And add the fact that both Spacek and Moen's contracts come off the books in 2012, colorado could be getting good value considering both players will be playing for new contracts.<br><br>So at the end of the day it looks like a win/win scenario for both teams, short and longterm.  But don't forget this is just for fun and games,  let me know what you guys think.

Edited by jmaac1

Why don't we just sign Fleischmann as a UFA and skip all the fooforah?

The real point of this post is that Fleischmann would be a good fit. I agree - his game is very much in the mould of this team.

Louis Moustakas's article on the home page is excellent, and most of the players he lists in the 'Scorers' and 'Pluggers' categories would be useful additions to the Habs in my book. Fleischmann, Cole and Gagné, yes; Belanger and Talbot, yes. The first three in particular could represent exciting 'missing pieces' for us. And I can see Gauthier being interested, especially in Fleischman, Cole, and Talbot.

I agree Fleischmann would be a nice fit for sure, but so would Gagne or Leino, but more likely Gauthier will get a Bergenheim, Cole or Arnott type to replace Pouliot's spot eh?

The real point of this post is that Fleischmann would be a good fit. I agree - his game is very much in the mould of this team.

Louis Moustakas's article on the home page is excellent, and most of the players he lists in the 'Scorers' and 'Pluggers' categories would be useful additions to the Habs in my book. Fleischmann, Cole and Gagné, yes; Belanger and Talbot, yes. The first three in particular could represent exciting 'missing pieces' for us. And I can see Gauthier being interested, especially in Fleischman, Cole, and Talbot.

I agree Fleischmann would be a nice fit for sure, but so would Gagne or Leino, but more likely Gauthier will get a Bergenheim, Cole or Arnott type to replace Pouliot's spot eh?

Cole seems like an ideal acquisition, provided we keep expectations under control. In a good year he is a 50-point guy who will likely bounce around the second and third line and perhaps get the assignment of parking his ass in the slot on the PP. If the price is manageable it'd be a no-brainer to me; but Fleischman just feels more like a Hab because he so clearly fits our established mould. It fundamentally depends on whether Gauthier wants to deepen our existing team identity (smart, shifty, versatile) or whether he wants to add missing elements to that identity (Cole's more hard-nosed game). I've gotten so used to the Habs NOT addressing the issue of 'tougness' that the idea of them adding Cole is hard to process...like some sort of parallel universe.

Cole seems like an ideal acquisition, provided we keep expectations under control. In a good year he is a 50-point guy who will likely bounce around the second and third line and perhaps get the assignment of parking his ass in the slot on the PP. If the price is manageable it'd be a no-brainer to me; but Fleischman just feels more like a Hab because he so clearly fits our established mould. It fundamentally depends on whether Gauthier wants to deepen our existing team identity (smart, shifty, versatile) or whether he wants to add missing elements to that identity (Cole's more hard-nosed game). I've gotten so used to the Habs NOT addressing the issue of 'tougness' that the idea of them adding Cole is hard to process...like some sort of parallel universe.

lol

I needed that, ty tCC. Sad news about the Wiz, but I'm kinda relieved as well. There was a little voice in the back of my mind warning about a long-term commitment to three bum knees in the top 4 D, not to mention buying high on a journeyman who just had a career year that he may not repeat.

Also, the signal is clear - PG is a player for a prize UFA, despite the slim pickins'. My preferences at this juncture:

1) Jagr, $4.25M for 1

2) Leino, $3.5M per for 3

3) Miettinen, $3.5M per for 3

4) Gange, $4.5M for 1

Cole is staying with Staal, Fleischmann is risky due to the nature of his injury,

I'd also love to see PG pick up Talbot.

Why thank you.

Other than Leino and Gagne, bout the best other LW options for the Gomez line, which Gauthier may consider could be; Jussi Jokinen, Ponikaroski, Brunette, Sullivan, Bergenheim, or how bout Anthony Stewart (big and nasty, from Quebec and young)

Other than Leino and Gagne, bout the best other LW options for the Gomez line, which Gauthier may consider could be; Jussi Jokinen, Ponikaroski, Brunette, Sullivan, Bergenheim, or how bout Anthony Stewart (big and nasty, from Quebec and young)

Please no Sullivan.

Please no Ponikarovski.

Is Pacioretty not supposed to be back for the start of the season? When together Gomez Gionta and Pacs put up desent points.

Or is the plan to put Pacs with Decharnais? They did lead the AHL in scoring while playing together.

I don't know who they'll go after, alot of people mentioned Jagr, I also wouldn't mind konopka, he is big, tough, rh center who can fight and win faceoffs. Would good with Moen and White.

just guessing whom PG may possibly consider?, i am all for a Leino or maybe Gagne, possibly Stewart, as he has the size Habs lack, but probably not enough offense to play on 2nd line.

Please no Sullivan.

Please no Ponikarovski.