Habs sign Peter Budaj. 2 years/ $2.3M

JoeLassister

excellent signing by the habs for a backup goaltender reagardless of his bad year I'll think hell rebound. In 2010 season he had a save percentage of .917 and a goals against average of 2.64, i believe hell get back to that.

Edited by jmaac1

I think he's a bit of an upgrade for sure, nice to have a little stability too. He has been a #1 at times before so if Price goes down, at least he's used to playing regularly.

My quick write-up on the signing: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2522

Good write up. I was uneasy with Auld last season because of the sure knowledge that one significant injury to Price would mean a long losing streak and likely missing the playoffs. Budaj is much more credible as a temporary #1. A very smart, under-the-radar move by Gauthier to address an under-the-radar but potentially grave organizational weakness.

The Habs just got around to announcing this via press release, nearly 2 hours after everyone else confirmed the signing. They don't have Cole's yet either...odd as usually their site is pretty quick with the pressers.

Eagerly awaiting the upcoming 3 paragraph Wamsley post on Budaj... :D

Here, I can sum it up:

Budaj and Auld are interchangeable.

Here, I can sum it up:

Budaj and Auld are interchangeable.

Time will tell, but I really place Budaj ahead of Auld. One level above.

Really liked both signings by PG today, and hes not done yet. Expect to see Gorges signed soon as well as another dman and depth forward with some grit. :habslogo:

• 2 weeks later...

The Habs just got around to announcing this via press release, nearly 2 hours after everyone else confirmed the signing. They don't have Cole's yet either...odd as usually their site is pretty quick with the pressers.

Peter Budaj: He is one of the more intriguing options out there...

Its almost like you knew...

Peter Budaj: He is one of the more intriguing options out there...

Its almost like you knew...

Nope, I had no inclination that Montreal would want him. I called him intriguing as to me, he was one of the few upside options out there. When he's on, he can be an above average backup and at 29, was well worth looking into for any team. I was pretty close on the cap hit too, I predicted a floor of $1.2 million, he got $1.15. I've been doing alright on the cap hit estimates overall, 10/13 that have signed have fallen within my range. The only ones who haven't are Budaj (guessed high), Theodore (guessed low), and Smith (guessed low).