Who will Gauthier target next?

jmaac1

There is a rumor on the web that the capitals are shopping Semin and is his 6.8 million cap hit around the league and there were reports that toronto, winnipeg, and the habs have had discussions with the caps. I first laughed when I read this but then decided to have fun with it for a little bit. So here is for a proposed trade between the habs and caps regarding semin. (note just for fun)

The habs get Alexander Semin, Matt Hendricks and a 4th round pick from the Capitals in exchange for Andrei Kostitsyn, Travis moen, Aaron Palushaj, and a conditional 2rd round pick and a 5th round pick in 2012.

How the trade works.

With habs already having 8.3 million in cap space left, they get rid of the contracts of Kostitsyn (3.25 million) and Moen (1.5 million) giving us a total of 4.75 million more in cap space putting montreal's total cap space to 13 million. Makes sense so far? good now add Semin (6.8 million) and Hendricks (850 000) giving us a total of a 7.65 cap hit and minus that to the 13 million and we have about 5.6 to 5.7 million left to sign both gorges and white and have a little wiggle room left in case of injury. In semin Montreal would finally get their superstar that they've been lacking for all these years and in matt hendricks a solid third line grinder who can score and note he will at least be here for the next 2 seasons at the same cap hit, so we won't have to worry about a replacement at the end of the year. (By the way the conditional 2nd round pick becomes a 1st only if semin signs an extension with the habs). And the 5th rounder we give them was the one we acquired from columbus.

With the caps they save about 2.5 million in this deal considering palushaj earns a roster spot (if not they save like 3 million), and most importantly it puts them back below the salary cap of 64.3 million. And even though their trading away one of their top scorers, they are getting back a 20 goal scorer in kostitsyn (who by the way is UFA next year) and moen an energy guy with stanley cup experience and who also is UFA next year so these players could only be rentals for the caps or perhaps trade bait as well. As for palushaj they get a solid young prospect who is suppose to have 3 or 2 line scoring capabilities at the next level. so in my eyes its a win win for both parties. Lol it sounds to good to be true but at the end of the day its just for fun. So let me know what you guys think.

Edited by jmaac1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure the habs would want a winger for the top 2 lines, that means one of Cole (not likely) or Pax would be demoted to the third line, and I think Paxs great play last year shouldn't earn him a spot on the third line, but thats the fanboy in me, not the armchair GM.

Palushaj has a future with the Habs. Next year there are two UFA's at RW: Andrei Kostitsyn and Travis Moen. The Habs rarely re-up their marginal UFA's... Andrei has a shot at being re-signed but I doubt Moen will be re-upped. Palushaj seems like a shoe in for that open spot at this point.

After one or two years of NHL growth, all of a sudden Gionta and Cammalleri are UFA's as well. Who knows how players like Palushaj will compare to them at that point.

Look I can see that you like palushaj alot as a player, but lets be realistic, if he were to make the club I believe he would of made it last year, having said that you pointed out that he has a shoe in for a roster spot next year, I highly doubt that, yes we might not sign kostitsyn, and moen surely won't be back. But your forgetting something, our top forward prospects are Danny Kristo, and Louis Leblanc, and when next year arrives so will these two, so palushaj will have to beat out both of them in training camp and I don't see that happening. If Palushaj had a chance of making the everyday roster it was last year, when he couldn't beat out Deharnais and White. And if he can't beat these 2 there is nothing that can convince me that he can beat out leblanc and kristo, both players who are superior to him in talent, (but you never know maybe he could). But its very doubtful.

I understand this kid has offensive talent, but our team is set for the next three years at the position he plays with cammy, gio, patches, cole, deharnais, Kostitsyn (for now). Look you can put him on the 4th line this year, but do we really need to add another diminutive forward (5'10 175) to our lineup especially in the bottom 6? It would set him back in his development and would set us back as well for a team in need of toughness. I think the best thing Montreal can do with this kid is trade him to a team (jets, sens, isles, to name a few) who right away can give him a chance to make his mark in the NHL. He could fetch us a 4th or 5th round pick.

The Habs just traded for Palushaj last March (2010). To say a 21 yr old HAD to make the team last year (over 2 players that are older, not to mention Ryan White has a significantly different role to Palushak) to have any future is a bit of an exaggeration. Max Pac just started to make an impression this past season, and he was taken in the 1st round of the same draft (2007).

I think the best thing Montreal can do with this kid is trade him to a team (jets, sens, isles, to name a few) who right away can give him a chance to make his mark in the NHL. He could fetch us a 4th or 5th round pick.

If that's the best Palushaj can fetch (as a fairly recent 2nd round pick with upside), the Habs are best off keeping him. He is one of their better offensive prospects, a mid round pick isn't worth letting him move on. He still can improve in Hamilton as now he'll be a go-to guy, that's usually the last step before becoming a full time NHL'er.

If that's the best Palushaj can fetch (as a fairly recent 2nd round pick with upside), the Habs are best off keeping him. He is one of their better offensive prospects, a mid round pick isn't worth letting him move on. He still can improve in Hamilton as now he'll be a go-to guy, that's usually the last step before becoming a full time NHL'er.

Glad I'm not the only one who said to himslef "What the hell did Palushaj do to get this kind of hate already?" after reading his post.

Glad I'm not the only one who said to himslef "What the hell did Palushaj do to get this kind of hate already?" after reading his post.

I can appreciate the logic behind it, especially with Leblanc's struggles in the faceoff dot; he may very well be converted to a RW at the pro level. Add that with Kristo being a RW and there could very well be a logjam; it makes some sense to try and alleviate that. The thing is, that jam won't be there for a little while yet, Leblanc (hopefully) will spend the full year in Hamilton while Kristo is collegiate bound and won't go from college to the NHL in 2012-13.

Palushaj has one more waiver exempt year, the prudent move is to let him use that eligibility and continue to develop in the minors (unless he earns a full time NHL spot on merit of course). Is he someone who could move in a trade for a more proven piece as a youngster with upside? Absolutely. But at this point, not for a mid round pick. That's the type of deal you make when he has to clear waivers and he isn't doing enough to warrant a spot on the roster, like they did with Chipchura and D'Agostini. The Habs aren't at that point with him yet.

Well, his name is hard to spell. rolleyes.gif

I'm hoping Goat will sign Steve MacIntyre but I won't be holding my breath on it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rs/bio/?id=3392

Personally, I don't think MacIntyre's even the best tough guy left on the market. I think Eric Boulton's the guy to target if you're looking for a pure enforcer.

I think Martin got rid of MacIntyre while he was in Florida. Not going to happen. I believe we are all done except for a couple/three try outs to send to Wheeling.

Hamilton may already have 16 forwards under contract, I can't see them adding any more. Defence is another story, they'll need to shore up the depth there, I think they have 1 more AHL D signing in them for sure.

I'm hoping Goat will sign Steve MacIntyre but I won't be holding my breath on it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rs/bio/?id=3392

I had been predicting no one would sign him (at least to an NHL deal) but the Pens have signed him after all. I'll be curious to see if it's a one or two way deal. Eric Godard can be crossed off the tough guy list as well, he signed in Dallas.

I thought we got this tough-guy nonsense out of our systems already?

What nonsense? This is still men's game and we have a midget team.... Who's to protect our players? I dunno, is this francophone thing this, fights doesn't belong to the hockey! What a bulls********t!!!! Fed up with this #####talking! We need muscle, and we need enforcer!!! Period!

What nonsense? This is still men's game and we have a midget team.... Who's to protect our players? I dunno, is this francophone thing this, fights doesn't belong to the hockey! What a bulls********t!!!! Fed up with this #####talking! We need muscle, and we need enforcer!!! Period!

Enforcers are obsolete. With the speed and parity of today's game, you can't carry a guy who plays five minutes per night. And besides, the league has legislated away the true purpose of enforcers (which is to protect skill players) through its idiotic instigator rule. Because of the lunacy of the leage, what you need nowadays is Raffe Torres types - human cannonballs who wreak havoc through questionable hits. Boston has several of these and profited immensely from its many deliberately-inflicted injuries upon the opposition. It's disgusting, but that's the model the NHL has chosen, and if we're looking to intimidate, that's the way it's now done.

I fully support the idea of the Habs going out and acquiring a Matt Cooke or two. It's the only response available in a league that does not believe in supplementary discipline for deliberate attempts to injure.

I fully support the idea of the Habs going out and acquiring a Matt Cooke or two. It's the only response available in a league that does not believe in supplementary discipline for deliberate attempts to injure.

Well, obviously not a Matt Cooke... next suspension for him and he's out of the league. I'm assuming you mean a Matt Cooke of three years ago when he had a 'clean' record.

And again, we've got Alexei Yemelin.

Well, obviously not a Matt Cooke... next suspension for him and he's out of the league. I'm assuming you mean a Matt Cooke of three years ago when he had a 'clean' record.

And again, we've got Alexei Yemelin.

Yeah, what you need is one of those human cannonballs who has not turned the league bosses against him. So Cooke would be out.

Yemelin is totally unproven. But if he can take a regular shift and lives up to his billing as a dangerous hitter, then he would make a good addition in this respect.

Yeah, what you need is one of those human cannonballs who has not turned the league bosses against him. So Cooke would be out.

Yemelin is totally unproven. But if he can take a regular shift and lives up to his billing as a dangerous hitter, then he would make a good addition in this respect.

Yemelin has played 187 KHL games, 176 RSL games, and 27 World Championship games. He'll need to learn how to play to the North American standards (both of officiating and systems), but he's hardly unproven. He's played at quite a high level (the KHL and Worlds are much higher than the AHL, for example) for a long time and shone at that level. And his nasty/dirty side is well documented.

Enforcers are obsolete. With the speed and parity of today's game, you can't carry a guy who plays five minutes per night. And besides, the league has legislated away the true purpose of enforcers (which is to protect skill players) through its idiotic instigator rule. Because of the lunacy of the leage, what you need nowadays is Raffe Torres types - human cannonballs who wreak havoc through questionable hits. Boston has several of these and profited immensely from its many deliberately-inflicted injuries upon the opposition. It's disgusting, but that's the model the NHL has chosen, and if we're looking to intimidate, that's the way it's now done.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'll take a tough guy who can actually play, but those are tough to find.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'll take a tough guy who can actually play, but those are tough to find.

Speaking of 'tough to find' players that fans of every team desire...

http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/7/12/2271064/power-forwards-on-the-rise-or-a-statistical-blip

This is a good rundown of how rare it is to find a guy that can score 25 goals and hit a lot. Essentially Ovechkin is the only player in the NHL who can do this year in, year out. Doan used to be there, but he's starting to show signs of aging. Staying healthy is a big issue for these types of players, and Iginla probably stays healthy and productive by hitting less than the other players. Another big issue: getting enough shots, as most of the time guys who hit a lot need high shooting percentages to hit 25+ goals.

BTW, Andrei Kostitsyn made this power forward list once in the past 5 years. Milan Lucic just made it for the first time this past year.