Gomez to the Preds?

jmaac1

Curious move made today by the predators to ship out both lombardi and franson to toronto. The predators in this trade shaved off about 3 million in cap space, and now hold the title for team with the most cap space.

And add the fact that Brian Wilde from ctv reported that the preds must be in the coversation now for Gomez, considering that they have almost 29 million in space available to spend on. It prompts me to believe that they could be the front runner to land gomez. While needing to spend around 14 million just to get to the minimum cap limit and with so few free agents left , their best solution would be to trade for someone like gomez to give them that big boost to get to the minimum. Also considering that they lost free agent center marcel goc to the panthers and traded lombardi away and with only 10 forwards signed, gomez would fit perfectly for them.

Now looking from the habs perspective, in getting rid of gomez it means getting rid of that atrocious contract thus saving them a lot of money and possibly look for a better replacement. But if that happens, it does not guarantee montreal finding a replacement this year (and there really isn't), and I am still not sure if eller is ready to handle the second line duties possibly setting back montreal. Plus its not like gomez is useless, he is a stanley cup champion, a respected figure around the league, and is a playoff performer, who can also give you 40 to 50 points a year. So at the end of the day I would like to but I wouldn't like to. Any thoughts?

Why not trade Gomez to them? The looks of the Toronto trade makes me feel it cant be too hard to fool Poile that Gomez is as good as his paycheck says he is. Bet we could get a 1st rounder out of him. Why did Nashville make Toronto better like that? Poile must be heading to Toronto for a job soon.

I dont see us moving Gomez but if we do i think Vincent Lecavalier is coming to montreal and then tampa signs Steven Stamkos...

Nashville may have the most cap space, but they also have the fewest number of players signed at 15.

Shea Weber is a RFA going to arbitration. He's a 6-7 million dollar defenseman.

Other RFAs are Sergei Kostitysn, Nick Spaling, Matt Halischuk and Cal O'Reilly, and all are probably due raises.

Also, Pekka Rinne and Ryan Suter will be UFAs next season and commanding large raises, which will raise their total against the cap for next season.

Plus, Nashville has Legwand and Fisher as their top two centremen... unless the plan is to have Fisher play on the 3rd line (which very well may be the case), but would they pay 4.2 million on a 3rd liner?

So I doubt Nashville has interest in Gomez.

Why not trade Gomez to them? The looks of the Toronto trade makes me feel it cant be too hard to fool Poile that Gomez is as good as his paycheck says he is. Bet we could get a 1st rounder out of him. Why did Nashville make Toronto better like that? Poile must be heading to Toronto for a job soon.

They made the move not for cap reasons but for money reasons. Because of Lombardi's injury history, his contract is uninsurable. Whether he plays or not, he gets paid by the Preds. With the uncertainty surrounding his health, they didn't want to pay $3 million per year to a player where legitimate concerns exist over whether he plays again or not. The Leafs, who have plenty of money, could afford to take on such an obligation, as long as they had incentive to. Franson was that incentive for them. The Leafs win the deal hockey wise, the Preds win money wise.

As Trizz also notes, they have a key RFA to re-sign long-term (Weber), plus they're the team with the QO snafus that is heading to arbitration on July 8th (the other 4 RFA's he noted). If an arbitrator deems them as UFA's, they'll have to do like Chicago and overpay to keep them. Gomez isn't going to Nashville, Brian Wilde simply speculated as such. Who they have left to sign will get them close to the floor and if not, they'll find a $1-2 million guy to get them there.

I don't think Nashville is trying to help Toronto nor that they will help Montreal.

Lombardi is a pretty good player. He'll have had 1 year to rest. With Connolly and Lombardi, the Leafs are greatly improved. Not counting the Sabres additions and the Bruins being the reigning champions, we've got one tough division.

Nashville may have the most cap space, but they also have the fewest number of players signed at 15.

Shea Weber is a RFA going to arbitration. He's a 6-7 million dollar defenseman.

Other RFAs are Sergei Kostitysn, Nick Spaling, Matt Halischuk and Cal O'Reilly, and all are probably due raises.

Also, Pekka Rinne and Ryan Suter will be UFAs next season and commanding large raises, which will raise their total against the cap for next season.

Plus, Nashville has Legwand and Fisher as their top two centremen... unless the plan is to have Fisher play on the 3rd line (which very well may be the case), but would they pay 4.2 million on a 3rd liner?

So I doubt Nashville has interest in Gomez.

I agree with you on the shea weber for 6-7 million and kostitsyn probably 2.5 to 3 million, but with the rest of the restricted not so much, cal o'reilly made 562 000 last year and had a total of 18 points, Nick spaling made 890 000 last year and had 14 points, matt halishuk made 875 000 last year and had 12 points, Niclas bergfors had "36" points last year and just signed for 575 000!!! with the preds, so how much do you really think those other guys will get in RFA's? Think about it

And as for rinne and suter who cares that they are UFA's next year, we are talking about this "year" when it comes to money. I know your probably thinking they have to keep some money for these guys for next year but even if they add all the guys including Gomez they would have like 14 million left plenty (so don't worry about that). And presumably the preds sign weber and kostitsyn that's about 8.5 million in cap space and they sign the other three for the same or possibly less they made last year thats about another 2.3 million, meaning they still have another 3.5 million to get to the limit, therefore them going after gomez is very possible considering the fact that they would have 21 players signed now and have room for exactly one more player to sign for around 3.5 to 4 million thus considering that even though they can get someone on the market (perhaps former pred Arnott for like 3.5 million), what would be the harm in getting gomez who is better than arnott and although his cap hit (7 million) would be more than double than arnott's, (but not to forget that gomez is the better player) it does goes down after this year to 5.5 million and then 4.5 million which is very duable in the trade market. (And just for the record arnott is just an example they could sign anyone else). So maybe this will give you a little reconsideration. But again its only an opinion.

Edited by jmaac1

I don't think Nashville is trying to help Toronto nor that they will help Montreal.

Lombardi is a pretty good player. He'll have had 1 year to rest. With Connolly and Lombardi, the Leafs are greatly improved. Not counting the Sabres additions and the Bruins being the reigning champions, we've got one tough division.

I highly doubt the leafs have greatly improved with connolly and lombardi two of the biggest injury prone centers in the league. Considering Connolly missed 181 games in his last 5 seasons, and is a -36 for his career , and lombardi who missed 179 games in his last 4 seasons with a 29.5 point average per year for his career (8 seasons).

So this makes me wonder how much of an improvement the leafs really made this year? Or for that matter bet how many games both lombardi and connolly will miss this year.

Edited by jmaac1

I agree with you on the shea weber for 6-7 million and kostitsyn probably 2.5 to 3 million, but with the rest of the restricted not so much, cal o'reilly made 562 000 last year and had a total of 18 points, Nick spaling made 890 000 last year and had 14 points, matt halishuk made 875 000 last year and had 12 points, Niclas bergfors had "36" points last year and just signed for 575 000!!! with the preds, so how much do you really think those other guys will get in RFA's? Think about it

That's the thing.... with Nashville botching the paperwork, those RFAs may be deemed UFAs, and thus may be overpaid to stay, much like Chicago a few years back. Brian mentioned this a few posts prior to yours.

They made the move not for cap reasons but for money reasons. Because of Lombardi's injury history, his contract is uninsurable. Whether he plays or not, he gets paid by the Preds. With the uncertainty surrounding his health, they didn't want to pay $3 million per year to a player where legitimate concerns exist over whether he plays again or not. The Leafs, who have plenty of money, could afford to take on such an obligation, as long as they had incentive to. Franson was that incentive for them. The Leafs win the deal hockey wise, the Preds win money wise.

As Trizz also notes, they have a key RFA to re-sign long-term (Weber), plus they're the team with the QO snafus that is heading to arbitration on July 8th (the other 4 RFA's he noted). If an arbitrator deems them as UFA's, they'll have to do like Chicago and overpay to keep them. Gomez isn't going to Nashville, Brian Wilde simply speculated as such. Who they have left to sign will get them close to the floor and if not, they'll find a $1-2 million guy to get them there.

Welcome to the new NHL. The league where the teams with money can buy assets off the teams with no money. Sounds a little like pre-2005.

Gauthier, Burke etc should be going over every teams roster and look who is leaking money, then offer an "incentive" for them to take this money off their hands. Burke has been trying to find these advantages all over the place.

Phaneuf = about money. Lupul = about money. Parent = about money. In all of those deals he took back money and players who were injury prone/expensive/risky.

That is his way of trying to jump start the Leafs winning ahead of schedule, it also requires plenty of risks on his roster. If Lupul, Lombardi and Connolly all get hurt like they have through their careers the Leafs are left with no offensive depth again, if they all stay healthy? Then it is a legit playoff team.

For a team like Montreal, already possessing depth and a contender poaching a Parent could make a huge difference at little cost.

And as for rinne and suter who cares that they are UFA's next year, we are talking about this "year" when it comes to money. I know your probably thinking they have to keep some money for these guys for next year but even if they add all the guys including Gomez they would have like 14 million left plenty (so don't worry about that). And presumably the preds sign weber and kostitsyn that's about 8.5 million in cap space and they sign the other three for the same or possibly less they made last year thats about another 2.3 million, meaning they still have another 3.5 million to get to the limit, therefore them going after gomez is very possible considering the fact that they would have 21 players signed now and have room for exactly one more player to sign for around 3.5 to 4 million thus considering that even though they can get someone on the market (perhaps former pred Arnott for like 3.5 million), what would be the harm in getting gomez who is better than arnott and although his cap hit (7 million) would be more than double than arnott's, (but not to forget that gomez is the better player) it does goes down after this year to 5.5 million and then 4.5 million which is very duable in the trade market. (And just for the record arnott is just an example they could sign anyone else). So maybe this will give you a little reconsideration. But again its only an opinion.

It's not about cap space for Nashville, it's about the cap floor. They're not spending 64 million, they'll be lucky to spend 50. Sure, they can afford Gomez or any other highly paid player on the cap, but not on the budget. With what they have left to sign, they'll be within a million or two of the floor and will find a plugger to make up the difference; they won't be taking on extra long-term deals to reach the floor.

It's not about cap space for Nashville, it's about the cap floor. They're not spending 64 million, they'll be lucky to spend 50. Sure, they can afford Gomez or any other highly paid player on the cap, but not on the budget. With what they have left to sign, they'll be within a million or two of the floor and will find a plugger to make up the difference; they won't be taking on extra long-term deals to reach the floor.

I think the cap ceiling for Nashville is actually the mid-point.... doesn't staying below that mark ensure they receive revenue sharing money?

I think the cap ceiling for Nashville is actually the mid-point.... doesn't staying below that mark ensure they receive revenue sharing money?

Correct. On an unrelated note, with the popularity of the term 'revenue sharing', you would think that said term would be visible somewhere in the CBA. I wanted to look it up before I answered to be sure, I learned that revenue sharing is called 'Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System' - they must have had a syllable quota to come up with that name.

I agree with you on the shea weber for 6-7 million and kostitsyn probably 2.5 to 3 million, but with the rest of the restricted not so much, cal o'reilly made 562 000 last year and had a total of 18 points, Nick spaling made 890 000 last year and had 14 points, matt halishuk made 875 000 last year and had 12 points,

As Brian noted, it's more about the floor for Nashville than the ceiling. Just signing Weber and Kostitsyn to the lower of your numbers listed puts Nashville within 4 million of the cap floor, so that alone stops the need for Gomez's cap hit. And Gomez still has 3 years left on his contract, so Rinne and Suter's UFA contracts for next season can't be ignored.

I just don't see Gomez going to Nashville. Spacek however...

As Brian noted, it's more about the floor for Nashville than the ceiling. Just signing Weber and Kostitsyn to the lower of your numbers listed puts Nashville within 4 million of the cap floor, so that alone stops the need for Gomez's cap hit. And Gomez still has 3 years left on his contract, so Rinne and Suter's UFA contracts for next season can't be ignored.

I just don't see Gomez going to Nashville. Spacek however...

With the remaining free agents Spacek's departure would go a long way :)

I dont see us moving Gomez but if we do i think Vincent Lecavalier is coming to montreal and then tampa signs Steven Stamkos...

Lecavalier to Montreal never seems to go away. For me, that is just too scary.

I was looking at capgeek and had forgotten that he's signed forever.

Maybe Gomez playing with Erik Cole on occasion might be what he needs. Gomez is a great puck mover and his vision on the ice is second to none.

If Cole can create a ruckus in the opposition's crease Gomez may have more room to move freely.

I once thought Lecavalier in Montreal would be great. But that was about 3 years ago. It scares me now.

Some people call Gomez's contract an albatross..... Vincent's is all the more.

Lecavalier to Montreal never seems to go away. For me, that is just too scary.

I was looking at capgeek and had forgotten that he's signed forever.

Maybe Gomez playing with Erik Cole on occasion might be what he needs. Gomez is a great puck mover and his vision on the ice is second to none.

If Cole can create a ruckus in the opposition's crease Gomez may have more room to move freely.

I once thought Lecavalier in Montreal would be great. But that was about 3 years ago. It scares me now.

Some people call Gomez's contract an albatross..... Vincent's is all the more.

Same here. Ahhhhh I remember the days when I was hoping that Vinny would get his UFA status.... That seems so long ago ^_^

Welcome aboard YvesOnHabs. Nice blog by the way.

Same here. Ahhhhh I remember the days when I was hoping that Vinny would get his UFA status.... That seems so long ago ^_^

It won't be long now before we see talk of Crosby becoming a UFA and having the Lecavalier-like dreaming begin all over again...