2011 Bulldogs Offseason Tracker/Discussion

dlbalr

It's probably time to close down the season thread since it's the summer. Here's a look at the offseason so far:

-r105019%20:%20ham09_500.jpg

New players:

F Alain Berger (Oshawa, OHL)

F Michael Blunden (Springfield, AHL)

D Olivier Dame-Malka (Lewiston, QMJHL)

F Philip DeSimone (New Hampshire, H-East)

D Raphael Diaz (Zug, SUI)

G Nathan Lawson (NY Islanders)

F Louis Leblanc (Montreal, QMJHL)

F Phillipe Lefebvre (Montreal, QMJHL) (also has junior eligibility)

D Mark Mitera (Syracuse, AHL)

F Joonas Nattinen (Hameenlinna, FIN)

F Brock Trotter (Riga, KHL)

F Brian Willsie (Hershey, AHL)

D Zack Fitzgerald (Charlotte, ECHL)

(Plus a full season from late season addition Joe Stejskal)

Confirmed/potential departures, not including free agents:

D Sebastien Bisaillon (Graz, Austria)

F Dustin Boyd (Barys Astana, KHL)

D Mathieu Carle (Anaheim)

F Nigel Dawes (Barys Astana, KHL)

D Kyle Klubertanz (Djurgarden, SEL)

G Drew MacIntyre (Buffalo)

F Ryan Russell (Columbus)

G Curtis Sanford (Columbus)

F J.T. Wyman (Tampa Bay)

F Ryan White (likely a full-time Hab)

F Paul Zanette (Rockford, AHL)

Free Agents:

AHL Free Agents:

F Jimmy Bonneau

D Neil Petruic

D David Urquhart

Approximate Depth Chart:

Forwards:

Willsie - Leblanc - Palushaj

Trotter - Engqvist - Fortier

Conboy - Nattinen - Blunden

Berger - Dumont - Avtsin

Schultz/Masse/Bishop/DeSimone/Lefebvre

Defence:

Nash - Diaz

Mitera - St. Denis

Henry - Fitzgerald

Stejskal/Dame-Malka

Goalies:

Lawson

Mayer

Delmas

I'm going on the assumption that D Jeff Woywitka will crack Montreal's roster out of training camp.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Approximate Depth Chart:

Forwards:

Trotter - Leblanc - Palushaj

Russell - Engqvist - Fortier

Conboy - Nattinen - Dumont

Schultz - Masse - Avtsin

Bishop/Lefebvre

Do you really see Avtsin getting 4th line time again?

Do you really see Avtsin getting 4th line time again?

Until he shows he can play a top-6 role, I see him on the 4th line with some PP time. That's not terrible by any stretch to start.

Given the current situation, I still expect Trotter to make the Habs in Pyatt's old roster spot at the very least. Lord knows the Habs could use a RH shot on the main roster, and Trotter's AAAA qualifications (plus waiver status) make him the first in line.

I'm also not convinced Nattinen will be in the AHL next year... I could see the Habs burning a year of his ELC by sending him back to Espoo, like what happened with Engqvist. If Nattinen isn't there, I expect one of Russell or Fortier to play centre. Maybe Dumont, but I have a feeling he's being groomed in the Ryan White mold. With those adjustments, I definitely see an opporutnity for a larger role for Avtsin.

Wyman was obviously a key Bulldog... who takes his tough minutes? Russell? Engqvist? Leblanc? Dumont? Fortier?

BTW, you forgot Alain Berger, dlbalr. I'd expect him to be in the everyday lineup.

AHL vet situation...

Diaz has 238 GP from 2007-11 in the NLA that will count towards the 260 GP total that would make him an AHL vet (years that one could play in the CHL not as an overager don't count). From what I can tell, he will be viewed as a developing player. That's nice. Likewise, Brock Trotter is at 221, so he wouldn't have vet status, either. Mathieu Carle is at 225. Ryan Russell is at 243. Engqvist has 211.

From my understanding of the rule on the PHPA's website, goalies don't apply.

From what I can tell, Alex Henry is the only vet on the Bulldogs' projected lineup so far.

That sounds like a Habs training camp invite.

He is, that's why I said apparently. If he has put pen to paper on something as the Wolves' site implies, it'd be an AHL tryout in all likelihood.

Well, just like that, the Bulldogs get two veteran forwards after me saying they had zero. Actually, Blunden counts as the additional 260-320 GP player you are allowed to dress while Willsie is a pure vet like Henry.

It's probably time to close down the season thread since it's the summer. Here's a look at the offseason so far:

-r105019%20:%20ham09_500.jpg

New players:

F Alain Berger (Oshawa, OHL)

F Michael Blunden (Springfield, AHL)

D Raphael Diaz (Zug, SUI)

G Nathan Lawson (NY Islanders)

F Louis Leblanc (Montreal, QMJHL)

F Phillipe Lefebvre (Montreal, QMJHL)

F Joonas Nattinen (Hameenlinna, FIN)

F Brock Trotter (Riga, KHL)

F Brian Willsie (Hershey, AHL)

(Plus a full season from late season addition Joe Stejskal)

Forwards:

Willsie - Leblanc - Palushaj

Trotter - Engqvist - Fortier

Conboy - Nattinen - Blunden

Berger - Dumont - Avtsin

Schultz/Masse/Bishop/Lefebvre

Defence:

St. Denis - Diaz

Nash - Carle

Henry - Stejskal

McFadden?

Goalies:

Lawson

Mayer

Delmas

After doing a head count, I believe Willsie is the most likely forward from your Bulldog lineup to spend significant time with the Canadiens, followed by Trotter and Palushaj. I have him pencilled in on the Canadiens opening squad. He will be a favourite for me to watch because he is from my area. I really like how many right hand shots we have accumulated. I haven't figured exactly who I think they will send to Wheeling but your bottom pairings/extras have to be on list. I think they sign a couple of defenseman such as McFadden and Dame-Malka to fill out roster as call-ups

I think they sign a couple of defenseman such as McFadden and Dame-Malka to fill out roster as call-ups

I'd be content with McFadden signing for some offensive depth, though anyone not named Neil Petruic would work for me quite honestly. The problem is, I really could see Hamilton bringing him back, he played a fair bit last year much to my chagrin. I would like to see them add one more veteran D on a two-way deal but there really isn't a whole lot of the Jancevski-like veteran minor leaguers. Names like Mathieu Roy, Casey Borer, and Shawn Belle are the only ones that I see as I skim through my UFA list that would be useful upgrades. (I'd also include Andre Benoit but he reportedly is Sweden-bound.)

My Lineup for the upcoming season

Palushaj-Leblanc-Dumont

Willsie-Nattinen-Blundin

Conboy-Enqvist-Avtsin

Berger-Fortier-Schultz

Echl- D.Masse, H.Bishop,P.Lefebvre. Possibly E.Brodeur if the habs sign him

Diaz-Nash

Henry-St-Denis

Stesjkal

We still need to fill a spot with a veteran or two for the blueline.

McFadden and Dame-Malka I'd sign and send to Wheeling

Lawson-Delmas

There was a goalie on tryout with the habs in June E.Mosher a goalie from Quebec Junior league had good stats in the Q. Maybe sign him and send him to Wheeling.

There's no need to sign another goalie, one of Delmas/Mayer is already Wheeling bound...or wherever the Habs' farm team there will be, the new deal isn't signed just yet. Pittsburgh still is the primary tenant of the team and will supply the second goalie.

As for what forwards could go down, I agree on all but Masse. First, they need to carry at least 1 extra forward and as much as I've been a Masse critic before (and I'm still not a big fan), he did step up when all the injuries/recalls hit last year, even becoming somewhat responsible defensively. I'm not sure he's an everyday player depending on what happens but that extra little bit of role versatility to go with his position versatility should give him a clear edge.

Lefebvre can go back to the Q for another year, couldn't he?

I thought he was an overager last year but upon further review, he doesn't appear to be. The big question is, would his junior team want him back? Without fully knowing their OA situation, I'm not sure they would.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how well Leblanc will play this year :)

Looking forward too that.

The only thing that I see that is outstanding (remaining to be done); is the naming of assistant coaches in Hamilton and identifying the people to be invited as try-outs to the rookie camp. START THE SEASON!

The only thing that I see that is outstanding (remaining to be done); is the naming of assistant coaches in Hamilton and identifying the people to be invited as try-outs to the rookie camp. START THE SEASON!

Need another defenseman

Need another defenseman

Mitera-Diaz

Nash-St. Denis

Henry-Stejskal

I assume McFadden will figure in here. Do the Bulldogs really need much more? I assume all they'll get on D are guys invited on tryouts.

Mitera-Diaz

Nash-St. Denis

Henry-Stejskal

I assume McFadden will figure in here. Do the Bulldogs really need much more? I assume all they'll get on D are guys invited on tryouts.

If the Bulldogs are to contend as they have in years past, can they really afford to rely on a pair of rookies (Diaz, Stejskal), a declining veteran in Henry, and a pair of second year defencemen? I think they need at least one more top-4 veteran to help in case of injuries, callups, etc.