2011 Bulldogs Offseason Tracker/Discussion

dlbalr

If the Bulldogs are to contend as they have in years past, can they really afford to rely on a pair of rookies (Diaz, Stejskal), a declining veteran in Henry, and a pair of second year defencemen? I think they need at least one more top-4 veteran to help in case of injuries, callups, etc.

I really wouldn't consider Diaz a rookie... he's been playing pro hockey since he was 18!

Bumping Stejskal to 7th would probably be good, though. I'd be comfortable with that top 4, though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wouldn't consider Diaz a rookie... he's been playing pro hockey since he was 18!

Bumping Stejskal to 7th would probably be good, though. I'd be comfortable with that top 4, though.

I agree on Diaz although on the other hand, I don't expect him to be in Hamilton all that long...so he'll likely be replaced by a rookie, thus inherently making him a rookie. (Is that a good enough way to beat around the bush on that one? :) )

I agree on Diaz although on the other hand, I don't expect him to be in Hamilton all that long...so he'll likely be replaced by a rookie, thus inherently making him a rookie. (Is that a good enough way to beat around the bush on that one? :) )

I think Carle became expendable when Diaz was signed, and we gained another year of control sort of speak. I think if Diaz goes to the big club we become thinner with that offensive element to the defensive game. Looking at the roster, it may be McFadden if signed the only one capable of filling that void. So yes, the defense is suspect in its depth.

Ron Wilson has been named assistant to Clement Jodoin. You may recognize the name from his earlier stint with the Bulldogs back in the Don Lever era...you know, the last time a coaching staff lasted longer than a year down there. Glad to see him back.

Ron Wilson has been named assistant to Clement Jodoin. You may recognize the name from his earlier stint with the Bulldogs back in the Don Lever era...you know, the last time a coaching staff lasted longer than a year down there. Glad to see him back.

This is GREAT news!!! Ron was / is a good Coach and a really decent guy. I'm very happy to see him back with the Dogs :Bulldogs:

• 2 weeks later...

There hasn't been a whole lot of Hamilton news lately but even with the signing of Woywitka, I still think the Bulldogs need another defenceman, though this one could just be a depth guy on a minor league deal. I'd say I'd be happy with anyone just for the depth...but then I remember that anyone could wind up being Petruic. So...anyone but him will suffice. :)

There hasn't been a whole lot of Hamilton news lately but even with the signing of Woywitka, I still think the Bulldogs need another defenceman, though this one could just be a depth guy on a minor league deal. I'd say I'd be happy with anyone just for the depth...but then I remember that anyone could wind up being Petruic. So...anyone but him will suffice. :)

Dlbalr: What do you know about a Phil Desimone possibly signing an amateur try out? How many contracts have we left?

Dlbalr: What do you know about a Phil Desimone possibly signing an amateur try out? How many contracts have we left?

I count 47 contracts. As for an ATO for DeSimone, haven't seen anything official yet though I'm aware of the rumours. The only 3 guaranteed invitees to rookie camp thus far are Gusse, Brodeur, and McFadden. The Bulldogs have good depth at C which could work against DeSimone. If another tryout comes, I have to think it'll be on D.

Can Hamilton not sign players beyond the fifty contract rule?

They can; any AHL two-way deal (so AHL/ECHL) doesn't count against the limit. The Bulldogs had as many as 6 of those last year (Delmas, Petruic, Bonneau, Urquhart, Zanette, and Bisaillon).

• 2 weeks later...

Is that the top four defensemen that dlbalr was talking about them signing?

Likely not top-4 but he at least fills a roster spot. To me, this is a positive in that he's not Neil Petruic who I really feared would get a last minute contract. As a depth guy, this works though I'd have preferred someone a little more talented. Interestingly enough, he actually has an NHL game under his belt back in 2007-08 with Vancouver.

I'm thinking that the Habs have already penciled in one or two of Enqvist/Blunden/Trotter in the NHL just based on the number of bodies available to the Bulldogs. I have 5 full forward lines + Levebvre and not counting any of the potential tryouts signing.

Would this explain the lack of a free agent veteran signing for the Habs' bottom lines?

I'm thinking that the Habs have already penciled in one or two of Enqvist/Blunden/Trotter in the NHL just based on the number of bodies available to the Bulldogs. I have 5 full forward lines + Levebvre and not counting any of the potential tryouts signing.

Would this explain the lack of a free agent veteran signing for the Habs' bottom lines?

It's certainly a possibility but I don't think it's the case. Assuming Lefebvre goes back to the QMJHL (if the Armada will actually take him back willingly), that's 15 forwards. You at least want a pair of callup options out of Wheeling so there's your regular 13. Now if they go and bring in one or two of the forward tryouts (guys like Winnett and DeSimone who are AHL age), then I think there'd be a lot of legitimacy to the theory.

It's certainly a possibility but I don't think it's the case. Assuming Lefebvre goes back to the QMJHL (if the Armada will actually take him back willingly), that's 15 forwards. You at least want a pair of callup options out of Wheeling so there's your regular 13. Now if they go and bring in one or two of the forward tryouts (guys like Winnett and DeSimone who are AHL age), then I think there'd be a lot of legitimacy to the theory.

Here's my approximate depth chart:

FORWARDS

Brian Willsie / Louis Leblanc / Aaron Palushaj

Brock Trotter / Andreas Engqvist / Alexander Avtsin

Hunter Bishop / Joonas Nattinen / Mike Blunden

Andrew Conboy / Olivier Fortier / Ian Schultz

Dany Masse / Gabriel Dumont / Alain Berger

Philippe Lefebvre

DEFENSEMEN

Mark Mitera / Jeff Woywitka

Frederic St. Denis / Raphael Diaz

Alex Henry / Brendon Nash

Zack Fitzgerald / Joe Stejskal

GOALTENDERS

Nathan Lawson

Peter Delmas

Robert Mayer

Outside of Mayer, Masse and Levebvre, I don't see anyone ECHL bound... and I'm not sure Masse is likely.

Outside of Mayer, Masse and Levebvre, I don't see anyone ECHL bound... and I'm not sure Masse is likely.

Bishop's almost a lock to go down, he barely cracked the 4th line due to injuries last season. Masse's versatility should give him a chance to stay as the 13th forward. Berger could go down if he has a so-so camp, so too could Schultz I think which will come as a surprise to some. Stejskal on defence could go down as he needs to be playing every night to develop.

I still expect Woywitka to make the Habs.

Joonas Nattinen could still be sent back to Finland, although 4th line in the. I don't think he's a lock for 3rd line C with the Bulldogs at all. Gabriel Dumont is most definitely ahead of him. You can probably pencil in one of Trotter, Engqvist or Palushaj into the Habs lineup. Longershots would be Willsie or Blunden.

Etienne Brodeur will be an interesting tryout as well... was he just a benefactor of the criminally underrated Kabanov?

Dlbair: I've been following the prospect rankings on the main site. Good job. To-date nothing I could disagree with, pretty much bang on. The beauty of it all, is that it is all about perception and two weeks from now you could do it all over and have a completely different result.

Dlbair: I've been following the prospect rankings on the main site. Good job. To-date nothing I could disagree with, pretty much bang on.

Completely agree!

Dlbair: I've been following the prospect rankings on the main site. Good job. To-date nothing I could disagree with, pretty much bang on. The beauty of it all, is that it is all about perception and two weeks from now you could do it all over and have a completely different result.

Thanks. Interestingly enough, these differ somewhat from the list I sent to Habs EOTP back in July, the order has changed for quite a few players.