Powerplay 2011-12

Predicting the Habs 2011-12 PP Ranking  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the Habs PP will rank come season end?

• Top 5 in the NHL
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • Bottom 10 in the NHL

Two recent articles by Engles and Hindle have me thinking, and an all over the map kinda way, about the PP for this coming season:

http://www.hockeybuz...e-Tops/82/37374

http://www.hockeybuz...e-Key/139/37402

Hindle's article actually shifts the focus to even strength scoring, which is no doubt primary, but I am left wondering what the PP will look like this year, and especially about the contributions of adroit coaching (who will coach the PP - Pearn or Cunneyworth or Ladouceur?) and player skill sets to a successful PP.

Some possible PP units, which may be regular lines as well:

Cole-Pleks-Cam

Subban-Markov (wouldn't Markov rather run it from the left?)

Patches-Gomez-Gio

Weber-Spac

There's a weakness to having your two top PP point shots in the possession of right handed dmen. If Markov needs to run it from the left side, I guess we could go Markov-AK on the first unit and Subban-Weber on the second?

Does anyone have a solid analysis of Pearn's PP strategy? Is anyone aware of a comparative analysis (stats + qualitative) of different teams PPs? General thoughts the key to PP success during the year ahead?

I guess it depends how the lineup shakes out. If Spacek is a lock for a bottom pairing spot, then who is the regular #6? Yemelin seems the most accomplished of the group. I can definitely see him on the 2nd PP. I could definitely see Weber on the 2nd PP, too. Same with Spacek.

I don't see an obvious forward to play the point on the PP... Seems like we have more than capable D to do the job.

I think Gionta is on the top unit because he's a RH shot. After Gio our RH shots drop off to the group of 4 players battling for 4th line spots: White, Trotter, Palushaj, Engqvist. Of course, Weber might be dressed on the 4th line, too.

So I see our top unit as Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta-Markov-Subban.

Second unit: Cole-Gomez-Kostitsyn?-Spacek-Yemelin/Weber. If both Yemelin and Weber are dressed I think they'd be the regular 2nd PP unit on D.

Although I'm sure Cole will get a shot on the PP, I'm not sure he'll stick given his history. Over the past few years, Cole has proven excellent at even-strength, but only so-so on the PP. Now, Montreal's powerplay is historically better than Carolina's and Edmonton's, but his 8 PPP last season tied Desharnais ( who played 39 games less, and really only earned significant PP time towards the end of the season). Desharnais' hockey IQ could see him earning some quality time on the 2nd wave (didn't he line up at C with Pleks on the point last year?).

Also, Markov has stated his preference to remain on the left point on the PP on multiple occasions, and I think PK's one-timer would be wasted with him on the right side. That being said, if Andrei and PK can work things out, they'd be a force to contend with.

I could see:

Gionta - Plekanec - Cammalleri

Markov - Spacek

Pacioretty - Desharnais/Gomez - Kostitsyn/Cole

Subban - Weber

You know what's nice this year? No need to even consider Moen or Darche in there. :)

Hindle's article actually shifts the focus to even strength scoring, which is no doubt primary, but I am left wondering what the PP will look like this year, and especially about the contributions of adroit coaching (who will coach the PP - Pearn or Cunneyworth or Ladouceur?) and player skill sets to a successful PP.

From the looks of things, Ladouceur will run the defence, Cunneyworth the offence, and Pearn the special teams.

I'd consider playing Subban on the 1st and Markov on the second just for the sake of giving Markov some rest after coming back from these injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it depends how the lineup shakes out. If Spacek is a lock for a bottom pairing spot, then who is the regular #6? Yemelin seems the most accomplished of the group. I can definitely see him on the 2nd PP. I could definitely see Weber on the 2nd PP, too. Same with Spacek.

I don't see an obvious forward to play the point on the PP... Seems like we have more than capable D to do the job.

I think Gionta is on the top unit because he's a RH shot. After Gio our RH shots drop off to the group of 4 players battling for 4th line spots: White, Trotter, Palushaj, Engqvist. Of course, Weber might be dressed on the 4th line, too.

So I see our top unit as Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta-Markov-Subban.

Second unit: Cole-Gomez-Kostitsyn?-Spacek-Yemelin/Weber. If both Yemelin and Weber are dressed I think they'd be the regular 2nd PP unit on D.

I think not having Max on the power play is kinda out of the question giving just how well he did last season.

I think not having Max on the power play is kinda out of the question giving just how well he did last season.

Same here. He potted 7 on the PP in basically half a season, that's impressive production. Plus, assuming he stays with Gionta and Gomez for the powerplay, that should get Gionta away from the net. That in itself is a bonus. As it stands right now, I suspect only one of Desharnais, Kostitsyn, or Cole will see regular powerplay time (unless one of the units goes with 4 forwards). If nothing else, the '3rd unit' (the one that usually gets the final 15-20 seconds of some PP's) will have a bit more scoring punch.

JM has shown consistently that he will reward players who go to the net with PP time. That's why we saw Darche used on the PP so much, for instance; despite fan bitching, it is a case of JM being very clear about rewarding players who do what is necessary, as opposed to boobs like Latendresse and Pouliot who were or are congentially incapable of doing what the coach demands. On this basis, I'd expect to see Cole getting lots of PP time regardless of his production. He's a guy who has proven to be a reliable net presence. If MaxPac does the same - and he's a question mark, given that he has come nowhere near to proving that he can play consistently at the NHL level - then our power play will look far different from years past. Suddedly we'll have two big, strong players standing around the crease, confounding opponents that expect a "small, skilled, permiter team." Between this and the double whammy of Markov and Subban at the point, there's potential for a really interesting power player. We'll see.

I could see:

Gionta - Plekanec - Cammalleri

Markov - Spacek

Pacioretty - Desharnais/Gomez - Kostitsyn/Cole

Subban - Weber

I agree on the defense. I think we'll see a lefty-lefty / righty-righty set of units just for the one timer options of Subban and whoever Markov passes to.

If it isn't Spacek beside Markov, I can see Yemelin getting a look.

So I'll go with Cole/Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Cammalleri, with Markov and Yemelin (looking for Markov feeding Cammalleri cross ice, Cole putting away the garbage)

And Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta, with Subban and Weber (Subban and Weber pounding shots on net with Gionta buzzing the net and Pacioretty taking up residence in the slot.

Woywitka did score half his goals on the powerplay... humm...

You gotta love when stats can be skewed. :) I actually looked, he was 5th in PP-TOI/game among Dallas defenceman. Barring injuries, I think he's a last ditch resort at best on the PP...which is interesting considering he was a pretty good scorer in junior. Just goes to show you how junior numbers really can mean nothing.