Kostitsyn Unhappy With Martin

BTH

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?12763

"Andrei, who signed a one-year contract with the Canadiens in June, told Belarussian sports website Goals.by this week that he isn't on very good terms with the veteran bench boss."

I guess it means there's a good chance Kostitsyn will be traded soon, seeing as this makes it sound like there's not much of a chance he re-signs at the end of the year.

I guess it means there's a good chance Kostitsyn will be traded soon, seeing as this makes it sound like there's not much of a chance he re-signs at the end of the year.

I'd love to see the full context of the conversation but some of those quotes don't sound promising. Kostitsyn's inconsistencies weren't all due to line juggling, he did play a role in his own struggles (and successes).

I would hope it is more a sign Martin will be gone, cause i still feel Habs are doing OK "despite" having Martin as a coach.

Good for Andrai to speak his mind, but not much a surprise that Martin is not a players coach

I would hope it is more a sign Martin will be gone, cause i still feel Habs are doing OK "despite" having Martin as a coach.

Good for Andrai to speak his mind, but not much a surprise that Martin is not a players coach

I can't see management deciding to fire Martin when there is no real competent replacement in the system because one of their secondary scorers complained about ice time in a local paper. Not every player has to like the coach and for all the flack Martin takes, you don't hear a lot of complaints about him from current or former players. Sure, he's not a players coach but he doesn't seem to be that unpopular either. Wonder how Kostitsyn will feel if he winds up starting the season in the bottom 6 as most of us have speculated? If that happens, expect this story to snowball again in October.

Martin takes on the bad cop persona in dealing with the players, so this isn't necessarily surprising. They key thing to know is that Martin isn't a dictator-type boss... he delegates a lot of responsibility to his assistants. Muller's job was to bring the players back in after Martin chewed them out. Now I suppose it's Cunneyworth's job to do that.

I don't see this as particularly incendiary or surprising.

:rolleyes:

It wouldn't be Montreal without some sort of drama.

Interesting to note that Kostitsyn came through the system when the vets deposed Carbo using the same kind of tactics, and that he saw his brother and Latendresse improve their careers through them; as well as the fact that Kovalev made nearly identical claims about Clouston as he departed for the KHL. This raises the question of what Kosty's influences have been and whether he has been conditioned to accept personal responsibility for his own performances, or to blame others for them (the Kovalev strategy).

It seems to me the post-Carbo message has been crystal clear: shut up and buy in, or piss off. Considering that Martin defended him vigorously in the playoffs two years ago, this seems a bit boorish to say the least.

Maxpac also complained last year before being called up.

I can't see management deciding to fire Martin when there is no real competent replacement in the system because one of their secondary scorers complained about ice time in a local paper. Not every player has to like the coach and for all the flack Martin takes, you don't hear a lot of complaints about him from current or former players. Sure, he's not a players coach but he doesn't seem to be that unpopular either. Wonder how Kostitsyn will feel if he winds up starting the season in the bottom 6 as most of us have speculated? If that happens, expect this story to snowball again in October.

He wasn't complaining - what he said was (of course) taken out of context by Montreal media.

How do we know this wasn't taken out of context, too?

And yes, what MaxPac said was essentially complaining since he feels he shouldn't play on the 3rd line in any league, which is where Martin had him playing in 2009-10. While he was content in Hamilton, it was a swipe to how he was used the previous season.

Not sure how you cant equate Pacioretty and Kostitsyn's comments, they had same message and again it cant be too surprising that Martin is not a 'players' coach, which can be fine for a coaching style, but i just feel he adds very litle to the Habs success, except he can do interviews in both languages.

How do we know this wasn't taken out of context, too?

And yes, what MaxPac said was essentially complaining since he feels he shouldn't play on the 3rd line in any league, which is where Martin had him playing in 2009-10. While he was content in Hamilton, it was a swipe to how he was used the previous season.

JM will finish out his contract with the habs. The results as a few of pointed out speak for themselves. Ak46 probably won't.

The habs will then hire Guy Boucher. I don't think it's a coincidence that their contracts end the same year.

If Emelin or Weber can step up, some of the underachievers pick it up, i don't see why they can't fight for the division title. 6th was a good step up with Cammi, Gomez and some others not doing much offensively.

The habs will then hire Guy Boucher. I don't think it's a coincidence that their contracts end the same year.

I wish... but i do not believe it will happen.

The problem is, will you get a top six player in return? I do not advocate trading him unless you can. Give it a few months and see how the team functions. If they look weak as team, trade him before the deadline. If they look like contenders, do the Souray and keep him and go for it. If he walks it's no big deal. Plenty of UFAs walk every year.

The problem is, will you get a top six player in return? I do not advocate trading him unless you can. Give it a few months and see how the team functions. If they look weak as team, trade him before the deadline. If they look like contenders, do the Souray and keep him and go for it. If he walks it's no big deal. Plenty of UFAs walk every year.

Good advice - except for the endless whining that will follow on the heels of Kostitsyn walking (without, of course, taking into account his potential value during a playoff run, or the calibre of whoever we use to replace him...) :rolleyes:

Good advice - except for the endless whining that will follow on the heels of Kostitsyn walking (without, of course, taking into account his potentia

l value during a playoff run, or the calibre of whoever we use to replace

him...) :rolleyes:

Last year the team was plagued with depth issues on the top six. I love the idea of a 2A, 2B, and 2C line and a fourth line. Anyone who thinks that Eller, Dejarnais, and Paccioretty are going to fill that void may be disapointed. The 2C line for me is Pax, DD, and Eller, with Kosty on the Plek line.

If there is that much tension, then they will have to trade him, but if its fear of him walking, and the team is winning, then stand pat and enjoy the depth this season.

Last year the team was plagued with depth issues on the top six. I love the idea of a 2A, 2B, and 2C line and a fourth line. Anyone who thinks that Eller, Dejarnais, and Paccioretty are going to fill that void may be disapointed. The 2C line for me is Pax, DD, and Eller, with Kosty on the Plek line.

If there is that much tension, then they will have to trade him, but if its fear of him walking, and the team is winning, then stand pat and enjoy the depth this season.

I totally agree - especially with your cautious attitude about the young players - and like others, I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. What this interview tells us is not that we have to dump Kostitsyn's ass, but rather that he isn't over the moon with enthusiasm about his present coach, and may well be another one of these players who blames others for his own problems (albeit more discreet than the Latendresses and Kovalevs of the world). All of this suggests that he will move along once he's a UFA. But a lack of overwhelming enthusiasm for the coach doesn't automatically translate into a locker room cancer or an urgent need to trade the guy. He's a Hab for now and little has changed for him from the last two years, so we can reasonably expect a normal performance from him: hot streaks where people get excited that he's finally putting it all together, followed by months and months of more-or-less uselessly diddling around, culminating in around 20 goals, some nice hits and decent even strength play.