Habs sign Woywitka

huzer

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373832

The Montreal Canadiens signed defenceman Jeff Woywitka to a one-year, two-way contract on Monday. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Last season, Woywitka recorded 11 points in 63 games with the Dallas Stars. He maintained a +5 plus/minus differential, the team's fifth best and served 24 penalty minutes. Woywitka added 72 shots on goal and blocked 97 shots.

Since the 2005-06 season, the 27-year-old has played 251 career regular season games in the NHL with the St. Louis Blues and the Stars. He has registered 49 points and 141 penalty minutes. He suited up for four playoff contests with the Blues in 2008-09.

There's our veteran d-man addition.

There's our veteran d-man addition.

Exactly. Solid acquisition. Now we just need something similar for the 4th line.

From Brian in last month' assessment of the Dmen UFA market. JW was in his top 6 available options at D.

Jeff Woywitka - DAL: Woywitka doesn't have a lot of upside to his game, he just plays a safe game in his own end. He was also one of Dallas' more prominent shot blockers, an element we know is important on the Habs. There's a chance he could go in the category you'll soon see below but I think someone will give him an NHL deal.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2534

Well, he seems to have done OK last season. But the fact that he has bounced up and down between NHL and AHL for his entire career tells you what to expect: a marginal guy who can probably step in competently for stretches, no more. Basically, a Mara/Picard replacement. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I suppose the shot blocking is an ingredient that makes him a good fit, conceptually, for the type of team D we play - that might give him a slight edge over the Maras and Picards of this world.

He's at best a #7 on this team. But smart to have some guys with NHL experience to call upon considering the fragility of Markov, Spacek, and Gorges coming off a big injury, too. I get the feeling that despite his two-way deal, he'll stick around a la Picard last year. Which would mean there's probably only room for one extra forward on the roster as we'd be carrying 8 D.

As Matt posted earlier, I was on Woywitka's bandwagon a few weeks ago; I'm quite happy with this move. His style fits the Habs' system (defence first, get in the way of shots) and at $650,000, he's not going to hurt the cap all that much. If he stays up with Montreal all year, that's fine or if he clears waivers and goes to Hamilton, that's good too...they could use the depth.

For those wondering, his AHL salary is $105,000 which means no re-entry waivers for him.

I thought he was on a two-way deal and would not have to clear waivers?

A two-way deal means squat diddly in terms of regular (going down) waivers. Those are determined by a players' age and experience. As Woywitka is 28 and has several years of experience, he most certainly must clear going down.

A two-way deal means squat diddly in terms of regular (going down) waivers. Those are determined by a players' age and experience. As Woywitka is 28 and has several years of experience, he most certainly must clear going down.

hum, I didn't know that either.

Good too know!

hum, I didn't know that either.

Good too know!

For most players (drafted, sign at age 20), they're exempt until the end of their entry-level deal. Once a player gets to about 26 and has a couple years of experience, they're eligible no matter what more or less. I haven't made one for this year yet but I do post a waiver status page on the site, you'll notice from last year's that Picard (who was on the same type of contract as Woywitka) needed waivers and he is younger than the Habs' newest defenceman.

For most players (drafted, sign at age 20), they're exempt until the end of their entry-level deal. Once a player gets to about 26 and has a couple years of experience, they're eligible no matter what more or less. I haven't made one for this year yet but I do post a waiver status page on the site, you'll notice from last year's that Picard (who was on the same type of contract as Woywitka) needed waivers and he is younger than the Habs' newest defenceman.

I feel like I am being educated in the ways of the hockey world every time I sign on here haha!

I feel like I am being educated in the ways of the hockey world every time I sign on here haha!

We've only scratched the surface, don't worry. If you want to read up on more odd stuff, I'd just the CBA FAQ thread which is topped in this forum. That gets used for any CBA questions as well as little tidbits that come up that could affect the Habs.

As someone noted earlier in the year, for NHL CBA matters, don't Google it, 'dlbalr' it.

This should be good for Hamilton as it means that Diaz, barring a huge push, will be playing a lot of games there.

Hmm...I am confused then. Last year McGratten signed a 2 way deal with the Bruins, and I think he signed for less than some amount which means he wouldn't be claimed by waivers...or was that jsut re-entry waivers and could have been picked up going down?

Hmm...I am confused then. Last year McGratten signed a 2 way deal with the Bruins, and I think he signed for less than some amount which means he wouldn't be claimed by waivers...or was that jsut re-entry waivers and could have been picked up going down?

Yeah, it just would've exempted him from re-entry waivers, it wouldn't protect him going down. Which is what Woywtika's deal does as well.