Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

The Habs posted their rookie camp list today with frankly a couple more invitees than I was expecting - we knew of 4 of them beforehand but there's 8 in total. Here's the list of the possible newcomers:

G - Robin Gusse (Chicoutimi, QMJHL)

D - Olivier Dame-Malka (Lewiston, QMJHL), Tony DeHart (Oshawa, OHL), Josh McFadden (Sudbury, OHL), Jordon Southorn (Trenton, ECHL)

F - Etienne Brodeur (Lewiston, QMJHL), Philip DiSimone (New Hampshire, HE), Ben Winnett (Michigan, CCHA)

Not surprisingly, there's more defencemen invited than any other position given the lack of depth in Hamilton. At this point, I'd have to think McFadden is someone they're hoping plays well and earns at least an AHL deal.

From the Hab prospects, there's only one collegiate player, that being Dustin Walsh. As most players are in school and would have to pay their own to this camp, I give Walsh a bit of credit here. Joe Stejskal did that every year too, I'm sure that in part played a role in him actually signing down the road.

Here's the full roster: http://canadiens.nhl...ge.htm?id=73143 Camp begins on the 12th.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McFadden and Malka are the 2 i am most curious about and whether either one can play defense at all, or are just 2 more MAB types?

Walsh will have at least 1 more year (most likely 2 more) at Darthmouth eh?

Hab can use goalie depth for sure, so would be a bonus if Gusse shows something at camp.

McFadden is another high risk high reward D man..........He will get caught up ice/and or out of teh play tring to put points on the board..

At least that was his game, don't think he's changed it recently....72 pts last year BUT also a team worst -31

In most years you could eliminate half of these try-out prospects because they would be going back to junior or college. I don't think Hamilton needs as many bodies as in previous years, so a guy like Brodeur who can go back to junior may be a choice. I think they are looking for a forward and at least one defenseman. I don't see them needing a goalie at all.

I think they could use another goalie in the organization, it just doesn't have to a professional-aged one. Gusse has another year of junior eligibility left; if they think he can help down the road (I don't see that happening) then he, like Brodeur, could be a sign-and-wait player.

Team Red evened the series today with a 4-0 blanking of the Whites. Two of the tryouts hooked up for the opening goal (Brodeur from DeSimone). Dumont, Beaulieu, and Walsh had the other goals. Nattinen was a no-go in this one as well.

With the official release of the training camp roster comes an updated listing of every players' height and weight. I have updated these in our player profiles; the most notable changes are Pacioretty gaining 12 pounds (we knew that already) and that Yemelin is now listed at 6'2 and about 20 pounds heavier. He was listed at 6'0 previously and 187 lbs. (Ignore the last update date in the profiles, I'm not changing them until I put the upgraded stats in...provided I can get them to align properly, I haven't tried just yet.) Of course, these may change again after the physicals for a few players.

Not surprisingly, some of the Bulldogs had more notable changes. The highlights:

Avtsin up to 6'3

Bishop from 185 lbs to 202

Delmas from 169 lbs to 190 (I'm guessing the site we got bio stuff from hadn't updated his in a while, that's quite a jump otherwise.)

Dumont gains an inch and 19 lbs

Nattinen from 6'0 to 6'2

Schultz up 22 pounds (which is interesting as I read how he lost weight this offseason)

Stejskal up an inch and 25 pounds

So pumped. Also, I read the language barrier article on the Canadiens site, regarding Avtsin and his integration in North American culture, and it's extremely reassuring. I'm excited to see what he does this year, and a friend of mine got a place downtown Hamilton, so I think I'll be heading down there for a few games once the Hamilton season starts. SO PUMPED.

So pumped. Also, I read the language barrier article on the Canadiens site, regarding Avtsin and his integration in North American culture, and it's extremely reassuring. I'm excited to see what he does this year, and a friend of mine got a place downtown Hamilton, so I think I'll be heading down there for a few games once the Hamilton season starts. SO PUMPED.

Yeah I read that myself, I like that Brendan Nash was mentioned as being the big help, because I think he could very well make the team soon and being a good presence in the locker room is always a bonus

With the official release of the training camp roster comes an updated listing of every players' height and weight. I have updated these in our player profiles; the most notable changes are Pacioretty gaining 12 pounds (we knew that already) and that Yemelin is now listed at 6'2 and about 20 pounds heavier. He was listed at 6'0 previously and 187 lbs. (Ignore the last update date in the profiles, I'm not changing them until I put the upgraded stats in...provided I can get them to align properly, I haven't tried just yet.) Of course, these may change again after the physicals for a few players.

Not surprisingly, some of the Bulldogs had more notable changes. The highlights:

Avtsin up to 6'3

Bishop from 185 lbs to 202

Delmas from 169 lbs to 190 (I'm guessing the site we got bio stuff from hadn't updated his in a while, that's quite a jump otherwise.)

Dumont gains an inch and 19 lbs

Nattinen from 6'0 to 6'2

Schultz up 22 pounds (which is interesting as I read how he lost weight this offseason)

Stejskal up an inch and 25 pounds

What they grow? I had Nattinen at 6'2" when he was drafted in 09. I think that is a clerical error at 6'. I would like to get the true size of Kornev. He has to be alot bigger than when we drafted him.

What they grow? I had Nattinen at 6'2" when he was drafted in 09. I think that is a clerical error at 6'. I would like to get the true size of Kornev. He has to be alot bigger than when we drafted him.

I had seen Nattinen at 6'2 at that time as well but listed at 6'0 basically everywhere else.

Lines for today's scrimmage:

Team A:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Willsie

Brodeur - Masse - Cole

Berger - Avtsin - Blunden (wonder if this may be tweaked as there are 3 C's on the 4th line and none here)

Archambault - Walsh

Gill - Weber

Yemelin - Mitera

Tinordi - Ellis

McFadden

Team B's lines:

Pacioretty - Trotter - Schultz

Lefebvre - Winnett - Palushaj

Conboy - DeSimone - Gionta

Gomez was also on this team but didn't play today. Winnett was loaned in his place, more on him later.

Spacek - Stejskal

FitzGerald - Diaz

Dame-Malka - Gorges

Dietz/Nash also on this team also but I'm not sure if they played or not.

Game Notes:

- Conboy was hurt early on in this one on a hit from Cole and missed a few shifts but did come back.

- Price and Budaj played the first half of the game and didn't allow a goal. Gusse and Mayer replaced them...each allowed 3.

- Team A scorers: Masse, Avtsin, Cammalleri...Shootout: Archambault (Y), Avtsin (N), Cammalleri (Y)

- Team B scorers: Winnett (2), Schultz...Shootout: Lefebvre (N), DeSimone (Y), Trotter (N)

- Cammalleri's goal came with under a minute to go, clutch already. :)

- Yemelin with numerous big hits in the game.

Team B's lines:

Pacioretty - Trotter - Schultz

Lefebvre - Winnett - Palushaj

Conboy - DeSimone - Gionta

Gomez was also on this team but didn't play today. Winnett was loaned in his place, more on him later.

Spacek - Stejskal

FitzGerald - Diaz

Dame-Malka - Gorges

Dietz/Nash also on this team also but I'm not sure if they played or not.

Game Notes:

- Conboy was hurt early on in this one on a hit from Cole and missed a few shifts but did come back.

- Price and Budaj played the first half of the game and didn't allow a goal. Gusse and Mayer replaced them...each allowed 3.

- Team A scorers: Masse, Avtsin, Cammalleri...Shootout: Archambault (Y), Avtsin (N), Cammalleri (Y)

- Team B scorers: Winnett (2), Schultz...Shootout: Lefebvre (N), DeSimone (Y), Trotter (N)

- Cammalleri's goal came with under a minute to go, clutch already. :)

- Yemelin with numerous big hits in the game.

Does anyone have links to images of any o the hit?

Ouf! quite impressive. I think it won't be long before his name will be known around the league.

Any reports on how he was skating?

By what I have seen so far, his skating is not a problem at all. In fact, I think that he is very mobile on his skates. Above average skater IMO.

Team C wins 5-4 today. On the injury front, Gomez (lower body) and Conboy (sick) both didn't skate, Bournival was injured in the game and didn't return. Subban also is hoping to play tomorrow, he sat out today's game as did White for Team C.

Quick goal summary from what I could find (if there are no assists noted, it doesn't mean there weren't any, I just couldn't find them):

A: Plekanec (Avtsin), Berger, Cole (Yemelin), Avtsin (Masse)

C: Darche (2), Henry, Gallagher (Desharnais), Engqvist (Gallagher, Kostitsyn)

Price and Lawson both allowed 2 each in the first half, Gusse allowed 3 while Delmas allowed 2.

Man, here is to hoping he drops Marchand that way here in Halifax next week. It would be so sweet to see that guy laid out infront of his home town!!!

Between PK and Yemelin we are going too have some fantastic hit reals :P