Disciplinary decisions by Brendan Shanahan

brobin

I love the new suspension videos. Shanny is hitting hard, but explaining exactly why he made his decision, with video evidence. Not only that, he is staring right into the camera as he explains it, not hiding behind a press release.

I have to believe if he was there last year, he would be suspending Chara and showing the arm driving the head from behind with no puck in sight...

I know it is early, but I have to think him doing these videos will lead to more consistency. Its hard to say one thing, then have someone show you your video for the other guy and your completely different decision. Not only that, he sends these to all the teams, hopefully leading to players understanding the rules. Last year, it was hard for a player to know what was right and wrong when every decision was random (or based on who it was, not what was done).

Two thumbs up so far!

• Upvote 2

It's interesting seeing the suspensions handed out thus far which consist of preseason and regular season games. A guy like Shelley (5 and 5) will wind up sitting for the better part of a month for his hit last night while Letourneau-Leblond, who needs the preseason to make his case for a roster spot, will miss most of Calgary's remaining exhibition games. A little bit of creativity is being shown here which is...odd given what we're used to.

Two thumbs up. And thank God, because the NHL *had* to get this right - both from a marketing standpoint and, more importantly, for the sake of simple human decency. If they keep this up, in a few years nobody will be able to believe that the Chara hit was dismissed as a 'hockey play.' You go, Shanahan!

if the hit wasn't by shelly and was Briere, i doubt it would have been 5 and 5. The other suspension was also to a no name. Until I see a name player like Chara suspended, I'm not sold that there will be much of a difference. BTW, Shanny was asked about the Chara hit last year and he didn't think it was a dirty hit.

I love the transparency shown thus far, but the true tests will be a) when a star player is the guilty party, and/or b) when there is no suspension and whether an equally satisfying explanation is provided.

Shanahan may be more likeable than Campbell but I doubt that this season will be anything more than business as usual at NHL HQ.

Shanny has the same employer with the same agenda - producing sports entertainment for the US with high level athletes.

The few decisions he's made seem interesting but I find it hard to imagine that a new sheriff will make a significant difference.

I agree that the real test will be when disciplinary action involves a couple top tier players.

Habs29 is sharp to observe that these guys are no-names and that the acid test is still to come. As for Brian's comment, the question is whether Shanahan is his own man or Bettman's lackey. I have a hard time believing that Brendan Shanahan - champion, hard-nosed SOB, independently wealthy - is anybody's lapdog, but time will tell. I don't see how anyone can deny that this is a good start at least.

Don't dismiss the change in process with clear video explanations. While he may not get every decision right, the transparency will make it difficult for him to be as inconsistent as Campbell. He also doesn't have to excuse him self from one team, then using that as an excuse for the different interpretation of the rules.

Finally, the decision will no longer require the sports reporters to work angles to figure out why a decision was made when the text for two different decisions read the same, with different outcomes. We might not like all his answers, but at least Shanny is willing to look us in the eye and explain himself.

I look forward to the first star he has to deal with (these were gimmies), as well as the first "non-star" that gets hurt by someone higher up the food chain.

Can I ask - did Shanahan make reference to 'intent' when he handed down these verdicts? Because that's always struck me as the most inane aspect of NHL discipline, this presumption to understand the inner psyche of players that ultimately resulted in well-liked players like Chara getting off scott free where an unpopular guy like Cooke would have been crucified.

Can I ask - did Shanahan make reference to 'intent' when he handed down these verdicts? Because that's always struck me as the most inane aspect of NHL discipline, this presumption to understand the inner psyche of players that ultimately resulted in well-liked players like Chara getting off scott free where an unpopular guy like Cooke would have been crucified.

Video of Shanahan explaining his decision at the bottom of this page : http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/2011/09/23/quel-brillant-homme/

Don't dismiss the change in process with clear video explanations. While he may not get every decision right, the transparency will make it difficult for him to be as inconsistent as Campbell. He also doesn't have to excuse him self from one team, then using that as an excuse for the different interpretation of the rules.

Finally, the decision will no longer require the sports reporters to work angles to figure out why a decision was made when the text for two different decisions read the same, with different outcomes. We might not like all his answers, but at least Shanny is willing to look us in the eye and explain himself.

I look forward to the first star he has to deal with (these were gimmies), as well as the first "non-star" that gets hurt by someone higher up the food chain.

Exactly consistency is the key here, he's human and he's gonna make some mistakes.

I would have loved to see him set up some automatic sentences for certain things like charging, blindsides, elbows, and of course headshots, those are just examples, that would improve consistency. Also repeat offenders would get an extra game added per offence on top of the automatic. This would help the officials, and the teams would feel justice, and not feel the need to get revenge. Just my opinion, but either way a good start for Shanny.

Video of Shanahan explaining his decision at the bottom of this page : http://blogues.cyber...brillant-homme/

Aha! Thanks. So:

1. Illegal play (as per 'new boarding rule,' which is excellent)

2. Player was injured on the play

3. Offender has suspension history

I don't like the weight Shanahan gave to #3, because it still gives an escape-hatch to a player like Chara who, while normally law-abiding, develops a clear vendetta against a specific opponent and acts it out. On balance, however, Shanahan did NOT make reference to 'intent' but rather focuses on the action itself (yay!) and gives a clarity to the process that has never before existed. An outstanding first move by Shanny.

Aha! Thanks. So:

1. Illegal play (as per 'new boarding rule,' which is excellent)

2. Player was injured on the play

3. Offender has suspension history

I don't like the weight Shanahan gave to #3, because it still gives an escape-hatch to a player like Chara who, while normally law-abiding, develops a clear vendetta against a specific opponent and acts it out. On balance, however, Shanahan did NOT make reference to 'intent' but rather focuses on the action itself (yay!) and gives a clarity to the process that has never before existed. An outstanding first move by Shanny.

I wonder if "intent" will creep its way back in though, when Shanny has to explain why a player didn't get suspended.

Shanny is doing a great job so far. I hope he is able to hand out similar president setting suspensions when there is more on the line..

It seems like he really cares about player safety and whats good for Hockey in general. time will tell. I hope the NHL gives him carte blanche to reform the process and clean the game up.

I also like that he isn't getting hung up on this 'intent' issue.

to me, intent is a non-issue

if you didn't 'intend' to hit him so hard from behind, then why did you do it?

More like you didn't intend on hurting him so badly and getting caught..

For some guys its hard, in the heat of the moment, to put egos aside and have a little respect for the other guy's livelihood.

Maybe through stiffer suspensions this will start to sink into the thick skulls of guys like Shelly, Cooke and the like...

No question. Look, in the old days, players just didn't do this sort of thing to each other nearly as often; you couldn't do it, in a helmet-less age, without killing guys or crippling them for life, and those norms lingered for many years even after helmets became standard. So it is perfectly possible for players to control themselves. The challenge is to put back into the game a basic 'respect' that has been taken out of it. The only sure-fire way to do it is to make penalties so serious that players will be forced to unlearn these bad habits.

No question. Look, in the old days, players just didn't do this sort of thing to each other nearly as often; you couldn't do it, in a helmet-less age, without killing guys or crippling them for life, and those norms lingered for many years even after helmets became standard. So it is perfectly possible for players to control themselves. The challenge is to put back into the game a basic 'respect' that has been taken out of it. The only sure-fire way to do it is to make penalties so serious that players will be forced to unlearn these bad habits.

Exactly. Helmets make players feel invincible and that they can do anything to an opponent. It's even worse in football, where players feel so invincible that they use their helmets to turn themselves into human projectile missiles.

Shanny will have to decide what to do with the Wiz. He received a 2 minute minor at the end of last night's game for an illegal check to the head. Wiz does have a history, but he's more of a star player, so it'll be interesting to see the verdict.

if i am reading it correctly wiz headshot happened at 20;00 of the third period. or just before the whistle blew to end the game. no need for contact of any sort at that point.

Yeah, thats bad, players need too bring class back into the game.