Darche - Desharnais - Cole

Palushaj - Engqvist - Weber

Gill - Subban

Campoli - Gorges

Spacek - Diaz

Price

Puck drop is at 7 PM on RDS.

Ye olde IR update:

- Moen is probable for the opener and will travel to Collingwood with the team.

- White will travel to Collingwood but is highly doubtful for the opener. I believe the same goes for Eller.

- Markov, as noted yesterday on the site, is a no-go against Toronto.

- Nattinen was sent down yesterday, but Leblanc, Bishop, Schultz, Fortier, and Nash remain as injured Bulldogs on the roster. Nash is out long-term.

Hmmmm I hope the club can improve to 2-6-0 tonight. It would be nice getting some confidence going into the regular season. that is basically a regular season lineup ....so here's to hoping they come out flying tonight! go habs go!

Hmmmm I hope the club can improve to 2-6-0 tonight. It would be nice getting some confidence going into the regular season. that is basically a regular season lineup ....so here's to hoping they come out flying tonight! go habs go!

If we can't score on Garon with our full attack lines, it will be panic time in Montreal. Fire Martin, Fire Gauthier !

Better game. The vets looked much more comfortable tonight with the lines and systems. Still a few defensive issues to clean up, but much better. Price looked good, which gave the whole team a boost.

I was waiting for Malone to do something dirty. He was jabbing at campoli all night. He saw an opportunity and took the cheap shot. I don't buy the 'leaned down into it" stuff. Malone exploded up and into the head with the elbow. If that is not a suspension, then I will be very annoyed at the lack of standards. Malone had an opportunity to prevent that, he took the opportunity to take the shot. Shanny has been very clear on that being 5 games.

Malone could have held back. That is the whole point of this. If it looks like it may be an ilegal hit, you pull back. Videos don't seem to be working. Shanny will have the league suspended in a few more weeks. lol

Well, since there are no game stats, I'm not going to bother with hashing out a full HW 3 Stars tonight. Here are what would've been my selections:

1) Gomez

2) Gionta

3) Darche

HM) Gorges

I thought Diaz did enough to hold down a spot, he's still a little shaky in his own end but with the puck, he has the poise that most of the Habs' defencemen don't have. Now with Campoli possibly out and Weber likely sitting in favour of a more physical Blunden for the game against Toronto, they're going to need that for sure.

• Upvote 1

so ... all preseason fears wiped away now with that win?

Nope. I wanted to see that level of play a couple games ago. To be clear, I am not concerned that the team sucks, just that the exhibition schedule sucked, leaving few games for the real team to tune up. Most teams we have played lately that hammered us have been much closer to real lineups.

I am still worried about Budaj. He failed to impress or build any confidence with his team mates. His first game in the real season will be interesting. He is going to have to show his teammates he isn't as bad as he has looked.

Shanahan has to stick to his guns. Right now the players are shocked and somewhat befuddled - witness Brodeur's idiotic bitching. But another few weeks of this and they will begin to realize that it's they who will have to change.

So typical of this team to raise its game when the outcome mattered at least a little bit. These guys will be fine, barring problems on the blueline.

Malone could have held back. That is the whole point of this. If it looks like it may be an ilegal hit, you pull back. Videos don't seem to be working. Shanny will have the league suspended in a few more weeks. lol

Gord Miller had a similar thought earlier today, interestingly enough. http://twitter.com/#!/GMillerTSN/status/120206951907991552

I am still worried about Budaj. He failed to impress or build any confidence with his team mates. His first game in the real season will be interesting. He is going to have to show his teammates he isn't as bad as he has looked.

Budaj struggled in two of his appearances but he was absolutely terrific in his first outing against the Sabres. 14/15 in half a game and that was the game where it was pretty much the Sabres vs 1/3 Habs, 1/3 Bulldogs, and 1/3 other prospects. Against Boston, he had no help defensively so I give him a pass there. So 1 good game, 1 bad game, and 1 semi-mitigated game (Boston). That's average for a backup.

Budaj struggled in two of his appearances but he was absolutely terrific in his first outing against the Sabres. 14/15 in half a game and that was the game where it was pretty much the Sabres vs 1/3 Habs, 1/3 Bulldogs, and 1/3 other prospects. Against Boston, he had no help defensively so I give him a pass there. So 1 good game, 1 bad game, and 1 semi-mitigated game (Boston). That's average for a backup.

You are being rather generous, but I hope you are right. Like I said, that first real game he plays will be critical.

Great game by Gomez. He's been our best center in prep-season, before Plex and DD, who has struggled quite a bit so far. Diaz is impressive; I believe that he will become an excellent defenseman and will play a big role on the PP.

Palushaj played well too; he deserves a spot if there is one available at the beginning of the season. Also, I think that Spacek played one of his best game in a long, long time. Very dependable, and a lot quicker than last year. All in all, I feel good about what I have seen in this game.

That's been the norm throughout his career. Great performances followed by stinkers. There was a reason that despite getting the seal of approval from Roy after he retired, that Budaj failed in Colorado as a starter. The only thing consistent about him has been his inconsistency.