Montreal vs Toronto, October 6, 2011

dlbalr

Boy am I happy I missed this piece of shit game! Way to go boys. First game of the year against the hated Leafies and they don't even bother to score one lousy goal.

Even though I missed the game, I listed to the radio in the car this morning, and what I heard was depressing. The same thing as last year. We got pushed around by a bigger team, we didn't even protect our goalie when he got pushed around and we couldn't score 5 on 5. What am I saying?? We couldn't score period!

I know that this is just game 1 of 82, but I fv.cking hate losing to the leafies...almost as much as the Bruins.

Agree with JMMR.

I think it is hard to expect more from a guy in his first regular season NHL game (Diaz). I think he has great hockey sense which is invaluable. Was quite impressed a few times early on in the game when he was able to battle and keep bouncing pucks in at the blue line as well.

I was also happy to see Paccoriety back in a Habs uniform and playing. I thought he was one winger that was playing a positive game moving the puck forward. Many, if not everyone else in the top six, continually played a lateral / backwards game (ie. Gomez, Cammalleri).

Thought PK played poor (looked like he was trying to do too much) and Cammalleri (needs to shoot and not be concerned about making the pass on every shift).

Although the result was disappointing last night it is a long road to the playoffs.

Oh my gosh you guys..

seriously its one game.

Our team has played exactly 60 minutes of the season and you're ready to tar and feather them? too funny.

might want to hit your doctor up for a refill on those anti-depressants..

The sky is not falling I promise you.. We will be ok.

This is a discussion board YeahBud, I don't speak for everyone here, but I don't like being a cheerleader fan, no team is perfect, and it's ok to point out faults and potential problems.

Win or lose, 1 game in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean much, it's a marathon not a race. Remember the leafs played mostly regulars all pre season, while this was really our 2nd game together. If this game is the reason we miss the Playoffs then we don't deserve to be their anyways. Last year the leafs started 4-0-1, they planned the parade. Then we all know what happened. After 10 games if we still look this way, then it's a coaching problem. I just want us to win the home opener and build from that, cause Sunday in Winnipeg is gonna be very difficult unless the jets are too nervous, but probably not.

Win or lose, 1 game in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean much, it's a marathon not a race. Remember the leafs played mostly regulars all pre season, while this was really our 2nd game together. If this game is the reason we miss the Playoffs then we don't deserve to be their anyways. Last year the leafs started 4-0-1, they planned the parade. Then we all know what happened. After 10 games if we still look this way, then it's a coaching problem. I just want us to win the home opener and build from that, cause Sunday in Winnipeg is gonna be very difficult unless the jets are too nervous, but probably not.

Well said Soops.

I'm not expecting a win in Winnipeg either.

As great as those two points would be for MTL, I wouldn't be upset at all to see the Jets get their first win at home...

Then lose every game to Montreal after that. :halm:

We all know it's just one game, a marathon, whatever cliche you can come up with. But opening night, against that team, I was hoping for more. Just looked like a team that is going to have trouble scoring, at even strength, AGAIN this season. In my opinion, it also looks like the Leafs might be another team that challenges us for our 8th spot in the conference.

If we can stay relatively healthy we'll be fine. I just hope the Campoli injury isn't a sign of what's to come. As far as us looking flat on opening night of course it's sucks and I hate losing to the leafs, but most good teams tend to take a while to get going, and most bottom feeders start out hot, it's the same year after year after year. Just as I was sure that Cherry was gonna be Moronic, I knew we would lose. I just figured it was gonna be 5-4 or something like that. Actually I wasn't so sure we were gonna lose, I was more sure that the leafs would play a playoff type game, as they were in pre season. It won't last though. I'm not saying there gonna miss the Playoffs, but they are surely inferior to us, not just on paper, but the intangibles. I think we have one of if not the best leadership cores in the league. Not to mention depth.

I don't think anyone is panicking. Like bar said we are discussing the things that we need to work on.

I expect Subban to rebound quickly after a poor performance but the defense as a whole was really weak. Not a panic statement just an observation.

I totally agree the D looked questionable besides Gorges in his own end, and Diaz on the attack. It all just seemed to fall apart after Campoli left the game. Which in a way is not a good sign for our d to depend on 1 guy. Diaz should get better with time, I also expect PK to round into form by home opener. My biggest problem of the night was Pleky on the point which others here have stated. And the misuse of Cole and ak46. Especially Cole needs to build chemistry so he needs consistent linemates. Perhaps new coaching staff needs a few games to build chemistry with each other and the players?

Whenever you lose a d-man mid-game, there are going to be issues. Players are suddenly playing different match-ups, playing with different partners, etc. Its even worse when you're behind.

Whenever you lose a d-man mid-game, there are going to be issues. Players are suddenly playing different match-ups, playing with different partners, etc. Its even worse when you're behind.

It's even worse when you don't have a winger/ defenseman that can step back in there.

Missed the first two periods due to work... so I didn't even get to see the Habs play well :(. No reason to panic just yet. Upset we lost Campoli already. Anyone else think maybe Emelin should have played that game instead?

I'm glad Price had a good game. Now if our D and forwards can get it together... Not happy about Cole being under-used. Is he maybe injured? Otherwise, WTF Martin.

I'm not upset we lost. I'm upset at the way we lost. Being pushed around, missing open nets, a bench minor... seeming lack of interest/hunger, listless play, no finish.... :wall:

Breathe. Breathe.

I'm not panicking, exactly...but I am concerned. What troubled me about that game is this: the primary weakness of the team last night, as I saw it, was exactly the weakness that I've been worried about since Wiz and Hammer left: inadequate offensive push from the back end and grossly insufficient power play QBing. So this game was unsettling, not because the team lost or played poorly, but because it seemed to confirm the validity of this underlying worry. Spacek did not step up; Subban looked like an erratic sophomore; Gorges and Gill were fine but irrelevant to the rush and PP, as they generally are; Campoli was gonzo; Weber struggled; Diaz was a pleasant surprise but hardly the saviour. It's just what I've been afraid of all summer. I'd hoped Campoli could bridge the gap, and his presence might have made a difference, so naturally he's out indefinitely.

That being said, of course it's too early to conclude definitively that this defence corps can't get the job done. It just failed the first opportunity to prove that it can.

I'm not panicking, exactly...but I am concerned. What troubled me about that game is this: the primary weakness of the team last night, as I saw it, was exactly the weakness that I've been worried about since Wiz and Hammer left: inadequate offensive push from the back end and grossly insufficient power play QBing. So this game was unsettling, not because the team lost or played poorly, but because it seemed to confirm the validity of this underlying worry. Spacek did not step up; Subban looked like an erratic sophomore; Gorges and Gill were fine but irrelevant to the rush and PP, as they generally are; Campoli was gonzo; Weber struggled; Diaz was a pleasant surprise but hardly the saviour. It's just what I've been afraid of all summer. I'd hoped Campoli could bridge the gap, and his presence might have made a difference, so naturally he's out indefinitely.

That being said, of course it's too early to conclude definitively that this defence corps can't get the job done. It just failed the first opportunity to prove that it can.

I share your concern as well.

I would not be surprised if we see a trade to cover this issue if Campoli and Markov are scheduled to be out for a while. Perhaps AK + Weber + pics involved.

I know it is too early for that though. We need to see how Diaz grows and the great unknown Emelin responds.

Edit!

I see we just signed Callahan

I share your concern as well.

I would not be surprised if we see a trade to cover this issue if Campoli and Markov are scheduled to be out for a while. Perhaps AK + Weber + pics involved.

I know it is too early for that though. We need to see how Diaz grows and the great unknown Emelin responds.

Edit!

I see we just signed Callahan

Callahan is nothing.

Waaay to early to talk trade. But I agree that AK + would be the obvious return to a team with an extra top-4 defenceman. Anyhow, let's see how it all plays out; I'm sure the Habs will exhaust every option and give the current D configuration every chance to succeed before pulling the plug.

Anyone else think maybe Emelin should have played that game instead?

Not happy about Cole being under-used. Is he maybe injured? Otherwise, WTF Martin.

Regarding Emelin, they made the right call. He played too tentatively in the preseason (he showed no restraint hitting his teammates but is hesitant to hit opponents oddly enough) for my liking. Diaz earned his spot in the lineup over him. Of course, with the never-ending supply of injuries, it was only a matter of time before Emelin got a shot...there seems to be a tradition with the Leafs and defencemen getting hurt in season openers.

As for Cole, seeing no special teams minutes of note seems to be the difference as to why his ice time is lower than his normal averages. The Darche-Desharnais duo didn't do (now that's alliteration...) much last night which wouldn't have helped Cole's case to play more either. I'm sure he'll see more ice time in Winnipeg.

Look. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but Raphael Diaz is NOT an NHL d-man. We have plenty of offensive defenseman in the system, we don't need a "poor man's" Jaro Spacek. The guy is just horrible in his own end, no size, no physicality and paired with Spacek this could be a disaster. (They can't hide behind opposing 4th lines forever!) We need Emelin. Why did we court him for so long to sit him in the pressbox?

All due respect, but one NHL game is far too short a sample size to proclaim someone is or isn't an NHL d-man. He's 25 and not at his peak yet (at least we hope). Diaz isn't a franchise saver by any stretch but let's not write him off as a career minor leaguer after one game. He's pretty good with the puck now and if he can get better in his own end over time, he can be a useful piece.

Why bother? This team is s-t-a-c-k-e-d with offensive dmen. He looks like a second-rate Weber.

Interesting you compare him to Weber as a lot of Swiss fans think he'll be better than Weber with a little bit of work. I'm also not sure the Habs have a ton of healthy offensive D right now. They have Subban...and...Subban. Spacek is more a shutdown guy at this stage of the game, Campoli and Markov are hurt, and Weber, well, I'm at a loss for why he wasn't getting powerplay time last night. I think that's why Diaz is getting a long look, because there's a lack of offensive D available right now, not because of a surplus.

And I don't think any team at any time should say "Why bother" with regards to developing a player. In an age where it's getting harder and harder to find that 'gem,' teams should be trying more than ever to develop these types of players. There's nothing wrong with depth and surplus at a premium position like defence, either they'll come in handy if injuries arise or that depth will allow for a trade to be made later.

Oh gawd...Spacek as a shutdown man. You're right, I hadn't thought of that. They should make a movie of this preseason/early season called "Waiting for Markov."

I never said it was ideal that Spacek is considered now as a shutdown d-man... :)