Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

It's still not official. Everyone's referencing the London paper which clearly states that it's not a done deal yet. They're the favourite but they've yet to land him.

He signed his ELC today meaning he is no longer NCAA or USHL eligible.

He could go to the AHL though, but London seems likely.

He signed his ELC today meaning he is no longer NCAA or USHL eligible.

He could go to the AHL though, but London seems likely.

what is benefit of signing him so early? No way he is playing pro this year is he?

what is benefit of signing him so early? No way he is playing pro this year is he?

It was suggested a while ago that for McCarron to break his WM commitment, he'd need to be signed. Additionally, there are cap benefits when the contract slides (if he played two full years in London, his cap hit would decrease by around $61,000 - I'm presuming he gets a max bonus as most 1st rounders do). Also from the Habs' perspective, I'm pretty sure they'd be encouraging him to use part of that bonus to get quality meals instead of the near fast-food stuff CHL'ers often get with their low per diem when they're on the road (a small thing, yes, but that still is important).

• 3 weeks later...

There is a mini pre-WJC tournament starting this Sunday that has two US teams, Canada, Finland, and Sweden participating. (The States will merge their teams partway through the tourney.) The Habs will be well represented here as no fewer than seven players are playing for their countries. They are:

Canada: Fucale, Hudon

Finland: Lehkonen

Sweden: Collberg, De la Rose

USA - Blue: Vail

USA - White: McCarron

Schedule:

Sun., Aug. 4

USA White vs. Sweden 1:00 p.m.

USA Blue vs. Finland 4:00 p.m.

Mon., Aug. 5

USA Blue vs. Sweden 1:00 p.m.

USA White vs. Finland 4:00 p.m.

Wed., Aug. 7

Canada vs. Finland 1:00 p.m.

USA vs. Sweden 4:15 p.m.

Thurs., Aug. 8

USA vs. Finland 1:00 p.m.

Canada vs. Sweden 4:15 p.m.

Sat., Aug. 10

USA vs. Canada 1:00 p.m.

Finland vs. Sweden 4:15 p.m.

Sadly the games aren't televised but it's at least some hockey to follow for a bit.

Tournament homepage for those who want to follow: http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/page/show/797432-jr-evaluation-camp

Stats from today:

Vail: 0's across the board

Lehkonen: 3 goals (2 on the PP), 1 assist - scored the tying goal with 10 seconds left in regulation

McCarron: 0's across the board

de la Rose: 1 assist, 4 PIMS

Collberg: 1 assist

Line notes:

Vail played with 2013 3rd rounder John Hayden and undrafted winger Matt Lane on the 3rd line.

Lehkonen was on Finland's top line with 2012 1st rounder Teuvo Teravainen and 17 year old Kasperi Kapanen (Sami Kapanen's son).

McCarron was with 2012 4th rounder Thomas DiPauli and 2013 4th rounder Andrew Copp on the 3rd line.

Collberg was on Sweden's top line with 2013 5th rounder Gustav Possler and 2013 1st rounder Alexander Wennberg.

de la Rose was on their 2nd line with (I think) Filip Sandberg and 2012 3rd rounder Oskar Sundqvist.

Highlights:

this makes crisp look like a steal

How so, exactly? He's not at this tournament (or are you referring to something earlier in the thread?)

Partway through the 1st in Game 1 today, it's Collberg 2, USA Blue 0. Both goals were near the front of the net and were on the powerplay. (Brady Vail is taking a regular turn shorthanded.)

There's another U20 tourney going on (I think in Slovakia). Here's the highlights of a 3 point night from Martin Reway (4th rounder) - he's #10 for the Slovaks in blue:

The good news? Collberg added another assist. The bad news? He left the game with a leg injury - some are saying it was cut open by a US skate, seems to be up around the knee. Some are claiming it's a twisted knee but no updates were provided by the coaching staff. 0 points for de la Rose, Vail had an assist.

@coreypronman has been covering the game. He has really liked McCarron in the first 40.

NYI's Cammarata makes it 3-0 USA on a nice wrap. McCarron with the set up.

Good McCarron has shown up. 10 minutes in and he's been involved in a good 3-4 scoring chances.

In first period liked: McCarron (MTL), Cammarata/Pokka (NYI), Maatta (PIT), Santini (NJD), Q Shore (OTT), Grzelcyk (BOS).

MTL's McCarron knocks in a rebound. Makes it 5-0 USA.

In 2nd period liked: Teravainen (CHI), Cammarata (NYI), McCoshen (FLA), Sieloff (CGY), M Brodzinski (SJ), Q Shore (OTT), Maatta (PIT).

The 'kinda, sorta' update on Collberg:

Earlier in the period, Sebastian Collberg sustained what Gronborg said was a twisted right knee. Collberg, a Montreal Canadiens prospect who scored both of Sweden's first-period goals, was attempting to move through the defensive zone when he was hurt. Collberg needed help leaving the ice and was unable to put any weight on his right leg. Gronborg said he didn't know how serious the injury was.

"He got a little twist, someone fell over his knee, it twisted when he was in the middle of a turn," Gronborg said. "We'll wait and see. Right now it doesn't feel too good, but with those type of injuries we won't know until we take a look the day after."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=19416

USA White beats the Finns 5-2, McCarron with a goal and an assist plus a penalty. Lehkonen, despite officially being held pointless, apparently set up Finland's first goal but as it stands, it's showing as unassisted.

Two reports on McCarron from someone watching the game. Consider it an amateur report but it's still interesting:

McCarron has been awesome. On his first shift he backchecked really hard, covering a lot of ground very quickly. He's been a regular on the PP and has done pretty much everything but score. He drove hard to the net from corner and got robbed. After the faceoff he went right to the net with the puck and then dangled around two defenders but unfortunately lost the handle at the last second. On his next shift he had a nice rush, showing off his skating ability and quick hands. Later that same shift he stole the puck in the neutral zone to set up a 2-on-1. He used his hands to obtain space and then fired a pass to Cammarata who went for the wraparound and scored. I noticed that McCarron really likes to use his slapshot, I think he took three of them.

Lehkonen has been invisible, along with linemate Teravainen. Kapanen has been fairly good though. They've been shut down by the Cammarata-Shore-McCarron line. Lehkonen was fairly active in his own zone.
5-2 win for USA White over Finland. McCarron picked up a goal and an assist, while Lehkonen picked up an assist. USA pretty much dominated Finland the entire game.

Personally, I thought McCarron was the best player of the game. In the first period, he was terrific offensively. Easily the most impressive player for the first twenty. He drove the net and showed some really quick hands. McCarron eventually picked up an assist after forcing a turnover. He was matched up against the Lehkonen-Teravainen-Kapanen line in the first period and did a terrific job against them. He loves to shoot the puck. He's got a big slap shot with lots of power behind, accuracy needs work though. He struggled early on in the second as he took a really lazy penalty. He didn't see much ice time against the Lehkonen line. As the period wore on, he started getting back in the game and scored a goal after forcing a turnover and burying a loose puck. In the third, he didn't see as much ice time, but he did lay a huge hit on Tikkinen, according to the commentators. McCarron saw quite a bit of PK time throughout the game, which he was quite effective on. I was impressed with his backchecking as he covers a lot of ice quickly and sneaks up on the puck carrier. Great game for him.

Fortunately it doesn't sound like Collberg's injury is too serious. Their coach suggested there's an outside chance he could play tomorrow. Unfortunately though, Brady Vail was cut from the US team (the struggles on the PK yesterday surely played a role there).

Canada plays tomorrow although Hudon will not suit up for their first action.

Lehkonen had a goal in Finland's 5-3 loss to Canada. de la Rose had an assist and a penalty in Sweden's 4-0 win over the US; McCarron had 0's across the board. Collberg (DTD) didn't play. Fucale gets the nod for Canada tomorrow, no word yet on whether or not Hudon will play.

Sean Burke, Canada's goalie consultant for this tournament, with some thoughts on Fucale:

"He played on a team [Halifax Mooseheads of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League] that was a good, strong hockey club," Burke said. "But from the games I saw him play, he's a guy that was very good at handling games where he might not get bombarded, yet came up with key saves at the right time. He was able to win a lot of hockey games at a high level for a young guy. We've got a very mentally strong guy in him. I think he's a guy that talent-wise is very athletic. I'm really looking to see today in this game just an overall picture of what his whole game is about. I think I got a good idea, but I'm really excited to see it."

Fucale starts for Canada today vs Sweden while Hudon also draws into the lineup. No word yet on whether or not Collberg will play. McCarron is expected to suit up for the US after a so-so outing yesterday.

The US won 4-3 in a shootout - Lehkonen was stopped in the SO, McCarron didn't shoot.

Canada is up 7-3 on Sweden late in the 3rd. de la Rose has a goal, Hudon has 0's across the board. Fucale has 28 saves (although the scoreboard has froze for a while now, I imagine he has a few more).

It's the final day of the tournament today and it will have the lowest amount of Hab content yet. Collberg (knee) is out while McCarron, Hudon, and Fucale are all scratches. de la Rose and Lehkonen (who will look to secure the scoring title) will play though.

BTW, someone was asking about the benefits of signing McCarron right away. The other is simple: He can stick at training camp as long as possible. This is the benefits of playing in the CHL over the NCAA is attending training camp in general, but if McCarron were to shine they could keep him around the team until after the deadline to send him back.

It's unlikely, but there would be no rush to get the paperwork done like there was a bit of with Gallagher a couple years back and Latendresse before then. Bergevin obviously likes having the paperwork done now for the guys he knows are real prospects, such as Bozon, Hudon, Collberg, etc.

BTW, someone was asking about the benefits of signing McCarron right away. The other is simple: He can stick at training camp as long as possible. This is the benefits of playing in the CHL over the NCAA is attending training camp in general, but if McCarron were to shine they could keep him around the team until after the deadline to send him back.

It's unlikely, but there would be no rush to get the paperwork done like there was a bit of with Gallagher a couple years back and Latendresse before then. Bergevin obviously likes having the paperwork done now for the guys he knows are real prospects, such as Bozon, Hudon, Collberg, etc.

So, by not offering Thrower a deal, when Hudon, Bozon etc all get signed, that Bergevin either isn't quite sold on him or maybe just be prospect motivation after a sketchy year.

So, by not offering Thrower a deal, when Hudon, Bozon etc all get signed, that Bergevin either isn't quite sold on him or maybe just be prospect motivation after a sketchy year.

That may only be short-term. When Thrower was dealt to Vancouver (WHL), there was an interview with him that said the plan for him was to turn pro this year - I think they're just taking a wait-and-see approach with him in case he really struggles at camp.

Also, I had a few minutes tonight so I did a quick StatTracker for the now wrapped up Lake Placid tournament: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3163

That may only be short-term. When Thrower was dealt to Vancouver (WHL), there was an interview with him that said the plan for him was to turn pro this year - I think they're just taking a wait-and-see approach with him in case he really struggles at camp.

Also, I had a few minutes tonight so I did a quick StatTracker for the now wrapped up Lake Placid tournament: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3163

Considering the slight logjam of youth defensemen in Hamilton, I wouldn't be shocked to see him play another year in junior, and then make the jump to the AHL with Mac Bennett next year when both Tinordi and Beaulieu have (probably) moved up to the NHL permanently.

Thrower has to make the Bulldogs in order to get a contract. His contract can't 'slide' since he turns 20 this year, so Bergevin will wait to see if Thrower can make the Bulldogs and start his pro career. If he can't, he'll either go to the ECHL without an ELC or back to Vancouver.

That's what my take is on that situation. Certianly, he'd have a contract right now if he didn't have a sketchy year, though. Bergevin is keeping his options open with him, just like he is with Nystrom. He wants to see if they're ready for the AHL. If they are, they'll get an ELC.

Thrower has to make the Bulldogs in order to get a contract. His contract can't 'slide' since he turns 20 this year, so Bergevin will wait to see if Thrower can make the Bulldogs and start his pro career. If he can't, he'll either go to the ECHL without an ELC or back to Vancouver.

If he gets the option of playing in Wheeling on a PTO/AHL deal, would he be better served doing that or going back to junior? I like the idea of getting players adjusted to the pros as soon as reasonably possible but after the year he just had, I think there's still quite a bit of room for improvement there which might make that route the better one.

Unrelated to this but I have to say it - Mac Bennett drops to #24?? I know my vote boosted him last year but you guys have him far too low. :)

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker