Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Sergachev went beast mode tonight at the mem cup.  He dominated saint john tonight.  Coast to coast rushes, drawing penalties, 2 assists, great defensive plays twice on one on one with chabot, a monster hip check.  He did everything.  Saint johns two goals were both with him on the bench.  Best game ive seen from him.  Just incredible.

Addison scored too.

Bourque with an assist.

too bad Windsor won

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Sergachev went beast mode tonight at the mem cup.  He dominated saint john tonight.  Coast to coast rushes, drawing penalties, 2 assists, great defensive plays twice on one on one with chabot, a monster hip check.  He did everything.  Saint johns two goals were both with him on the bench.  Best game ive seen from him.  Just incredible.

Addison scored too.

Bourque with an assist.

I watched the game last night as well,  Beast mode in this case is accurate. I can accept the Habs early playoff exit, knowing Sergachev is coming soon, really glad Bergevin didn't trade this guy in a deal for say, Duschene... only to still exit the playoffs early.

Hab fans wanting to include Sergachev in every imagined trade proposal, have obviously never seen him play.

2 hours ago, KoRP said:

I watched the game last night as well,  Beast mode in this case is accurate. I can accept the Habs early playoff exit, knowing Sergachev is coming soon, really glad Bergevin didn't trade this guy in a deal for say, Duschene... only to still exit the playoffs early.

Hab fans wanting to include Sergachev in every imagined trade proposal, have obviously never seen him play.

Who knows what MB will do this summer. Maybe there is risk he makes another scary trade because he has alot of pressure on him. I hope not unless the return is John Tavares with a resigned contract.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why is that too bad?

...I am from SJ and not Windsor and obviously no one wants an Ontario team to win anything do they?

44 minutes ago, DON said:

...I am from SJ and not Windsor and obviously no one wants an Ontario team to win anything do they?

I'd like the team with the most and best Habs prospects to win. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I'd like the team with the most and best Habs prospects to win. 

I of course hope Addison, Bourque and Sergachev are all stand outs, but if Hamilton was in it, I would think you would be OK with them winning instead. 

How did Bourque look, pretty quiet game for him?

39 minutes ago, DON said:

I of course hope Addison, Bourque and Sergachev are all stand outs, but if Hamilton was in it, I would think you would be OK with them winning instead. 

How did Bourque look, pretty quiet game for him?

I honestly don't have a favorite CHL team.  I cheered for Sergachev and Addison when they were in Hamilton this year. I'll cheer for whatever CHL team has the Habs prospects, if i cheer at all.  Most times I just observe. 

That's not to say my way is right, its just what works for me. 

Everyone is free to cheer how he/she wants.  Was just curious why you were against Windsor is all. 

Guest Stogey24
5 hours ago, DON said:

Why not

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:37 AM, Dalhabs said:

Who knows what MB will do this summer. Maybe there is risk he makes another scary trade because he has alot of pressure on him. I hope not unless the return is John Tavares with a resigned contract.

Tavares with a long term, yep, well, maybe. A Dman like Sergachev is hard to find.

23 hours ago, KoRP said:

Tavares with a long term, yep, well, maybe. A Dman like Sergachev is hard to find.

Montreal hasn't had much issue finding them. Subban, McDonaugh, Markov, Desjardins, Chelios...

They haven't had a centre like Tavares since Bobby Smith. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Montreal hasn't had much issue finding them. Subban, McDonaugh, Markov, Desjardins, Chelios...

They haven't had a centre like Tavares since Bobby Smith. 

I liked Bobby smith, but he was not even close to Tavares.  Bobby smith was a very good player.  Tavares is an elite player and superstar.  Tavares is among the top 5 or 6 elite players in the game.  Bobby smith wasn't even close to that.

IMO he was more of a pleks or koivu type centre, but had more size.  If I remember correctly he had one 100 plus point season with the north stars and three 80 plus point seasons with Montreal.  But that was during a time when most elite players had over 120 points (Gretzky close to or over 200).  In today's game his offence would translate into 60+ points.

We've had some very good centres - smith, muller, turgeon. (could have been elite, if not for Mario), damphousse (was actually a converted winger) and koivu.  

I would say say the last truly elite centre Montreal had was Believeau.  We've had a lot of elite goalies and dmen, but the last truly elite forward that could be considered among the best in the game we've had was Lafleur.

Guest Stogey24

Habs draft history of centres in the first round. 

2012- Galchenyuk 

2004- Chipchura 

1998- Chouinard 

1996- Matt Higgins 

1993- Koivu

It's been 24 years since the Habs have drafted an impact centre in the first round. 

Likely will be going on 25 years;

one fellow has a 6'0" centre picked at 24, who may end up being a winger, to the Habs at 25 a 6'1" 1.0ppg game with U18s, but a 2 way centre and at 30 another 6'0" 2 way centre. And if can trade up to 18 and get a bigger (6'3") centre, he also is another projected 2 way centre.

So an impact centre seems highly unlikely this year for Habs and the ol 'best player available' no matter position, is still smartest way to go. In couple years the Habs roster may not need a top six centre anyways.

With extra 2nd round picks and supposedly weak draft, they could possibly move up a few spots with a 2nd tossed in, but still unlikely to find elusive impact centre.:spamafote:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/05/12/2017-nhl-mock-draft-part-2-picks-16-31/

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I liked Bobby smith, but he was not even close to Tavares.  Bobby smith was a very good player.  Tavares is an elite player and superstar.  Tavares is among the top 5 or 6 elite players in the game.  Bobby smith wasn't even close to that.

Smith was a first overall pick and Calder trophy winning player who almost singlehandedly carried the North Stars to a Stanley Cup final. Almost always a PPG player. 18th all-time for forwards in playoff scoring. He was a bit better than the Koivu's and Plekanec's of the world. He was a Top 10 NHL centre in the early-mid 80s. I wasn't saying he was as good as Tavares but he was better than Turgeon, Damphousse, and Koivu at centre. 

Montreal also had to trade for him. If you look since the 70s, Montreal usually has to trade for their top centres. Mahovlich, Smith, Muller, Turgeon, Damphousse, the team does a terrible job drafting them. Andrew Cassels is one of the best centremen to be drafted by the Habs.

26 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Smith was a first overall pick and Calder trophy winning player who almost singlehandedly carried the North Stars to a Stanley Cup final. Almost always a PPG player. 18th all-time for forwards in playoff scoring. He was a bit better than the Koivu's and Plekanec's of the world. He was a Top 10 NHL centre in the early-mid 80s. I wasn't saying he was as good as Tavares but he was better than Turgeon, Damphousse, and Koivu at centre. 

Montreal also had to trade for him. If you look since the 70s, Montreal usually has to trade for their top centres. Mahovlich, Smith, Muller, Turgeon, Damphousse, the team does a terrible job drafting them. Andrew Cassels is one of the best centremen to be drafted by the Habs.

Smith wasn't even close to being a top 10 player in the 80's.  He was a very good year and had one 100 point season (114 point), with the north stars and four other 80+ point seasons.  But this was during a period when the truly elite players were scoring 120 to 140 points and you had a lot of players scoring over a hundred points on a regular basis.

turgeon actually out scored smith by a wide margin while with the isles and carried an isles teams through the playoffs until he was knocked out by a cheap shot by dale hunter (I honk that was the year we last one the cup).  

The fact act he ranks high in playoff scoring is because he played on some great habs teams and one good north stars teams.  Claude Lemieux (who I loved as a jab), also ranks high in playoff scoring, but I wouldn't consider him an elite player.

i grow up watching bobby smith and while he was great he wasn't even among the top 15 centres on the 80's.  Montreal was one of the few teams at the time that didn't have a regular 100 point player after lafleur retired (I believe naslund did it once).  Smith wasn't even the best forward on the habs - that was naslund.

as for the 1st overall pick, well daigle, yakapov were also 1st overall picks.

agree about the poor drafting of centres.  Call it the Scotty bowman/Denis savard curse.  The habs hired grundman as GM instead of bowman and grundman' two big moves were drafting wickeneiser instead of Denis savard (the size over skill fetish) and trading away langway.

Guest Stogey24
3 hours ago, DON said:

Likely will be going on 25 years;

one fellow has a 6'0" centre picked at 24, who may end up being a winger, to the Habs at 25 a 6'1" 1.0ppg game with U18s, but a 2 way centre and at 30 another 6'0" 2 way centre. And if can trade up to 18 and get a bigger (6'3") centre, he also is another projected 2 way centre.

So an impact centre seems highly unlikely this year for Habs and the ol 'best player available' no matter position, is still smartest way to go. In couple years the Habs roster may not need a top six centre anyways.

With extra 2nd round picks and supposedly weak draft, they could possibly move up a few spots with a 2nd tossed in, but still unlikely to find elusive impact centre.:spamafote:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/05/12/2017-nhl-mock-draft-part-2-picks-16-31/

Ya, need to catch some luck drafting in the 20's for sure 

23 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Top 10 centre in the early-mid 80s. Reading is important! It'll save you a lot of words.

I can read fine, you obviously didn't see much hockey in the early to mid 80's.  Who is Smith better than from the following:

-Gretzky

-Stasny

-Trottier

-Dionne

-hawerchuk

-Savard

-messier

-Perreault

-pederson

-Nilsson 

-Francis 

Carpenter, Nichols, maruk and pederson also outscored smith most years.

There are a lot more blowouts than normal in the Memorial Cup.  After a close opener, we've seen 7-1 and 12-5 games while Saint John is up 6-0 on Seattle after 2.  That's good news for Bourque as barring a monumental collapse, he'll be off to the semifinals on Friday night.  Their opponent will be the loser of Erie-Windsor tomorrow.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker