Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

37 minutes ago, bbp said:

Okay so if someone turns 20 a week after the start of the season they dont count against the overager limit. Hence why there are always a handful of 21 year olds?

Whether or not someone is an overager is determined by the year of birth.  Those who turn 20 before December 31st are overagers.

So yes... someones 20th birthday being january 1st is 20 and an overager.  They would be 21 for thensecond half of the season.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Whether or not someone is an overager is determined by the year of birth.  Those who turn 20 before December 31st are overagers.

So yes... someones 20th birthday being january 1st is 20 and an overager.  They would be 21 for thensecond half of the season.

That was the question I poorly worded the first time :P

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Allan McShane and Cole Fonstad were among 43 players invited to Canada's WJC summer camp/tournament to take place late next month.

Fonstad eh?

On 6/19/2019 at 9:36 PM, dlbalr said:

Allan McShane and Cole Fonstad were among 43 players invited to Canada's WJC summer camp/tournament to take place late next month.

Jacob Olofsson and Mattias Norlinder will be with Sweden's entry into the same tournament.

HockeyWriters comment on Habs draft haul;

"Montreal’s draft went off the rails — or at least off my radar — in the later rounds. Credit to the Canadiens, they were the only team to take two kids that weren’t even on my radar among 1,492 total prospects. Goalies can be tough to track and to predict in terms of mocks, but Ruscheinski was the real head-scratcher among those final four. A defenceman that size from Calgary, I figured Jackson van de Leest from the WHL’s Hitmen was a possibility but not Ruscheinski from the midget-AAA ranks. That was the biggest shocker of the entire draft for me, but we’ll see what he’s capable of in the future. "

10 hours ago, Trizzak said:

... AHL you say? 

I like how that required a special confirmation to report.  The AHL age minimum is a CHL-specific agreement; anyone not drafted from there is eligible to go to the AHL right away.  It's not that hard to figure out...

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I like how that required a special confirmation to report.  The AHL age minimum is a CHL-specific agreement; anyone not drafted from there is eligible to go to the AHL right away.  It's not that hard to figure out...

What do you think the best option is if he doesn't pull a Kotkaniemi and force MTL to keep him? AHL is extremely intriguing, but I can't help but feel like a year in NCAA may be the best for progression. CHL feels like a no - Caufeild needs to mature against men, not kids at this point.

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

What do you think the best option is if he doesn't pull a Kotkaniemi and force MTL to keep him? AHL is extremely intriguing, but I can't help but feel like a year in NCAA may be the best for progression. CHL feels like a no - Caufeild needs to mature against men, not kids at this point.

Once he decides to go NCAA... he cant come to Habs training camp... so he wont be able to force them to keep him.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Once he decides to go NCAA... he cant come to Habs training camp... so he wont be able to force them to keep him.

Well with his mindframe he might opt to go habs/ahl 

20 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Well with his mindframe he might opt to go habs/ahl 

I still think it best to go the NCAA route for at least one year, look at Poehling now after waiting couple years, being in weight room twice a day and practising more than playing. Let the kid adjust to playing vs older bigger faster competition first.

• Upvote 3

On 6/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, Meller93 said:

I like the idea of him spending the season in college - he's going to be part of a pretty strong line at Wisconsin and some time to put on a bit more muscle wouldn't be a bad thing.  I wouldn't be shocked if he's a one-and-done player and turns pro after his college season ends though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

I still think it best to go the NCAA route for at least one year, look at Poehling now after waiting couple years, being in weight room twice a day and practising more than playing. Let the kid adjust to playing vs older bigger faster competition first.

That sounds like  a good plan to me. Poehling is definitely ready now. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

That's the worst-written Habs column on the Internet, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

It's negative, but it's not like he's making things up

Sure, he isn’t making things up, but it’s overboard how much he undervalues the fact that the habs now have a good prospect pool. In the same breath he talks about Timmins being, I think he said an “abysmal” scout. Timmins one struggle was first round draft picks, but I really have to say it feels like he’s turning a page on first rounders.

• Like 1