Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Caufield's season in perspective.

Elite prospect :) 

I read it there; and based on those numbers, I want to believe it

57 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

We all want to believe it.  LOL

Agreed ... let's all keep our hopes HIGH but our expectations realistic ... last thing the kid needs are fans being disappointed because he fails to displace Toffoli as the Habs top sniper (exaggeration for effect)

Let's not panic if he hasn't signed by midnight ... although the sooner the quarantine better

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Let's not panic if he hasn't signed by midnight ... although the sooner the quarantine better

I agree but I just can't see him wanting to spend another year in college. He has nothing to prove there and I would be more concerned about him not signing than I am about Harris. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree but I just can't see him wanting to spend another year in college. He has nothing to prove there and I would be more concerned about him not signing than I am about Harris. 

Wasn't suggesting he won't sign ... for one thing, he doesn't have the same potential leverage as Harris ... CC would have to play TWO more NCAA seasons to have the unsigned UFA option that Harris will have next spring ... another is that he has spoken about turning pro after the season that just ended for the Badgers.

I fully expect him to sign and burn a season of his ELC ... just not necessarily immediately ... maybe tomorrow ;) 

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Wasn't suggesting he won't sign ... he doesn't have the same potential leverage as Harris ... CC would have to play TWO more NCAA seasons to have the unsigned UFA option that Harris will have next spring ... I fully expect him to sign and burn a season of his ELC ... just not necessarily immediately ... maybe tomorrow ;) 

Is it 2 more?  That's good, thought it was 1 more.  I expect he will sign tomorrow. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Is it 2 more?  That's good, thought it was 1 more.  I expect he will sign tomorrow. 

He just finished his sophomore season ... Junior and Senior still to go.

33 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He just finished his sophomore season ... Junior and Senior still to go.

I researched the rules and understand them better now, I think. If Cole had spent a year in the USHL for example after being drafted then he could leave as a free agent after 3 years of college. However he went straight to Wisconsin after being drafted so he would need to play 4 years in college before becoming a free agent.  You are right, I feel better now. He wants to play in the NHL. He will sign with the Habs soon I expect. 

6 hours ago, DON said:

So, do we think he is headed for taxi squad or Laval 1st?

Is his salary cheap enough to add to Habs roster?

When he signs, he's going to get a max signing bonus which will push his AAV to $925,000.  That makes him a bit more expensive than some of the taxi squad/recall options.  They'd need to get creative to work him onto the roster full-time once he goes through quarantine.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I fully expect him to sign and burn a season of his ELC ... just not necessarily immediately ... maybe tomorrow ;) 

The quarantine period starts when he enters the country.  If he signed by midnight tonight, the quarantine still wouldn't start until tomorrow at the earliest when he was to fly or drive in.  It's like Staal today, the seven-day countdown will start tomorrow once he arrives.

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The quarantine period starts when he enters the country.  If he signed by midnight tonight, the quarantine still wouldn't start until tomorrow at the earliest when he was to fly or drive in.  It's like Staal today, the seven-day countdown will start tomorrow once he arrives.

Obviously, for that reason, it is important to try and sign him ASAP ... but don't know that we can expect CC to switch from Frozen Four mode to "rest of my career" mode too quickly.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:19 AM, Commandant said:

Yes, but hockey careers are only so long before your body loses a step, etc.... if he came out now, he'd start that development sooner and have more than enough money to finish his degree.  Instead of playing hockey for free, he'd be getting paid for using one of those seasons (and developing in a better league, being closer to the NHL).

This makes me worried it isn't about staying in school, its about going UFA. 

I think that if the Canadiens have any reservations about Harris signing that he will be moved as part of a deadline deal or at this year’s draft. 

9 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I think that if the Canadiens have any reservations about Harris signing that he will be moved as part of a deadline deal or at this year’s draft. 

That's what i think as well. I think the Habs have a pretty good indication of whether Harris will sign with them as they should know him quite well by now. They went through the same thing with Poehling and he signed with the Habs. 

2 hours ago, Neech said:

Norlinder with 10 points in 35 games, seems a little low considering all the hype last summer. Does anyone know what's going on with him?

Last year, Norlinder was in Sweden's second-tier pro league.  Now he's in the top division so there was bound to be a dip.  He's logging over 16 minutes per game which is pretty good.  He has another year on his deal over there and he should be better offensively next season once he's a bit more adjusted to the league.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's what i think as well. I think the Habs have a pretty good indication of whether Harris will sign with them as they should know him quite well by now. They went through the same thing with Poehling and he signed with the Habs. 

Poehling signed with a year of eligibility left.  Harris is going the same route as Evans with going the full four years.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Neech said:

Norlinder with 10 points in 35 games, seems a little low considering all the hype last summer. Does anyone know what's going on with him?

He's a 20 year old dman in the top level of Swedish Hockey.  I don't think that's low. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Maybe you are thinking of Evans

Perhaps. I seem to  remember us having the same discussion about Poehling as we did about Harris. I guess we were worried about Poehling going back for his 4th year as Harris decided to do but Poehling did sign after his 3rd year. 

Is it just me or does the goalie seem like someone the Habs should sign whenever he chooses to turn pro

It'd be nice, but don't see why he comes here given the goalie pipeline.  McNiven has looked good. Primeau is the goalie of the future. Price has a contract forever, and if Allen leaves in expansion, I bet the Habs go get an experienced backup.  Why sign to be fighting McNiven in 4/5?

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It'd be nice, but don't see why he comes here given the goalie pipeline.  McNiven has looked good. Primeau is the goalie of the future. Price has a contract forever, and if Allen leaves in expansion, I bet the Habs go get an experienced backup.  Why sign to be fighting McNiven in 4/5?

I totally agree ... wasn't suggesting he would ... the kid's name just caught my eye ... should have said "it would be neat to sign" ... that was my thought process