Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

10 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I prefer players who can excel on their own and/or make their linemates better.

Yes, but that is the identical argument just stated in reverse.  i.e. when someone plays up to their linemates skills, its because their linemates are making them better.  The point is that not all players can do that.  If you play the type who can with 3rd or 4th line guys they wont do as much as they could be if they were playing with more skilled guys.  Conclusion, play that type of player with higher skilled guys. 

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I really hope they are right, he would fit very well on the third line for the Habs

Ultimately, I'd like to see Phoeling play 2nd line C, with kk being the 3rd line checking C. 

11 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Ultimately, I'd like to see Phoeling play 2nd line C, with kk being the 3rd line checking C.

Not even Weise in all his wisdom had Poehling that high in the lineup. God bless the ductch Gretzky

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Yes, but that is the identical argument just stated in reverse.  i.e. when someone plays up to their linemates skills, its because their linemates are making them better.  The point is that not all players can do that.  If you play the type who can with 3rd or 4th line guys they wont do as much as they could be if they were playing with more skilled guys.  Conclusion, play that type of player with higher skilled guys. 

I have been one of Poehling's biggest boosters here and I think 2nd line C is a really really big stretch. I do think he can be a good 3rd line C scoring 15 goals a year and maybe 35-40 points which would make him a big asset. 

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I do think he can be a good 3rd line C scoring 15 goals a year and maybe 35-40 points which would make him a big asset. 

He is turning 23 in Jan and i suppose Evans started NHL at 23, but i simply have low expectations for Poehling. Cant see him ever getting 15g...hope i am out to lunch though and he really impresses at rookie/training camp.

6 hours ago, DON said:

He is turning 23 in Jan and i suppose Evans started NHL at 23, but i simply have low expectations for Poehling. Cant see him ever getting 15g...hope i am out to lunch though and he really impresses at rookie/training camp.

He had a terrific 2nd half of the year in Laval. It looks like he has his head screwed on straight.  This is a big year for him. If you have low expectations then you won't be disappointed. Time will tell. 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He had a terrific 2nd half of the year in Laval. It looks like he has his head screwed on straight.  This is a big year for him. If you have low expectations then you won't be disappointed. Time will tell. 

What level is Poehling's skating; is it below or above the average NHLer? Is key thing i think, Hudon looked great in AHL but simply seemed 1/2 step too slow for NHL.

umm, what Centre is the most important C on any team?   1st line Centre is #1 important.

What line C is 2nd most important?  Its the 3rd line checking centre.  Case and point Danault, was he the 3rd most important C on the team?  Umm, nope. 

If Pheoling is the 3rd line C then your basically all saying Suzuki > Pholeing > KK > Evans.  🤣

No clue why my suggestion of Phoeling being the 3rd most important C, i.e. 2nd line C, is suck a big stretch?  i.e. Suzuki > KK > Pholeing >Evans.  Thats somehow a huge stretch? 

Furthermore, the 3rd line checking goes up against the other teams #1 line.  Therefore,  everybody that thinks Phoeling should be 3rd line C believes he is better than and should have more ice time than kk? 

Now think, theres 4 lines on a team., and Pholeing wont be 1st or 3rd line, so riddle me this:  if Phoeling isnt 4th line, what line happens to be left for him to play on?  Wow, its the 2nd line.   Thats super difficult to comprehend right? 

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

umm, what Centre is the most important C on any team?   1st line Centre is #1 important.

What line C is 2nd most important?  Its the 3rd line checking centre.  Case and point Danault, was he the 3rd most important C on the team?  Umm, nope. 

If Pheoling is the 3rd line C then your basically all saying Suzuki > Pholeing > KK > Evans.  🤣

No clue why my suggestion of Phoeling being the 3rd most important C, i.e. 2nd line C, is suck a big stretch?  i.e. Suzuki > KK > Pholeing >Evans.  Thats somehow a huge stretch? 

Furthermore, the 3rd line checking goes up against the other teams #1 line.  Therefore,  everybody that thinks Phoeling should be 3rd line C believes he is better than and should have more ice time than kk? 

Now think, theres 4 lines on a team., and Pholeing wont be 1st or 3rd line, so riddle me this:  if Phoeling isnt 4th line, what line happens to be left for him to play on?  Wow, its the 2nd line.   Thats super difficult to comprehend right? 

It's like what we talked about the other day, a lot of people don't think of lines in the traditional way any more where 3rd liner means shut-down line that gets as much even strength ice time as the 1st line. Especially for a team whose shutdown line was also their top scoring line for much of Danault's tenure here, that way of thinking about lines had kind of gone out the door. It's like how people would jump all over you if you called Danault a 3rd liner.

And for the love of all that is holy... It's not Pholeing. It's not Phoeling. It's not Pheoling. It's Poehling. 

21 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

It's like what we talked about the other day, a lot of people don't think of lines in the traditional way any more where 3rd liner means shut-down line that gets as much even strength ice time as the 1st line ...

Agreed ... this season the Habs may not even have a true "shutdown line" ... not to say that one won't be used that way ... but don't see one having that effect.

3 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

That is a defensive-minded point of view.

If importance is based on generating offence without being a liability :

1st line has a higher point production and xGAR than 2nd line. Both being scoring threats

3rd line provides seconds ring scoring at a reasonable cost/risk of being too slow, buckling under pressure , not being fast enough of being streaky 

4th liners are plugs on a loosing team and depth in a cup contending team. Strong on special team situations 

Scott Wheeler (the athletic);

NHL top 50 prospects, 2021 edition: Byfield, Caufield and Power headline Wheeler’s drafted skaters ranking

Byfield #1

#2 Cole Caufield, RW, 20 (Montreal Canadiens — 15th overall, 2019)

I mean, what more can you say really? Caufield has always been the real deal and now he gets to make somewhere around 10 of the 14 teams that passed on him pay for it by filling the back of their nets for the next decade (or more). Special talents have a way of proving people wrong when fears of size or skating or anything else strays from reality in search of lesser players who “look” more like teams want them to. Caufield gets to teach us another lesson in the size bias piece of that equation, because the skating bias never existed in his game. Once Caufield began to support the play better defensively, cheat a little less and widen his peripheral vision to open up his natural playmaking instincts, he was never going to look back. When all of that began to happen at the tail end of his freshman year and then really stamped itself into his sophomore season, it was checkmate. The skill as a shooter doesn’t need to be explained, but it’s not just about power and accuracy and the versatility of his shot (standstill catch-and-release wrister and one-timer, moving snap shot off either foot, etc.) but how he gets open to use it both with the puck (through a blend of soft hands, an acceleration gear and quick lateral cuts) and without it (in his timing sliding into pockets of space). I’m confident he’s going to score 30-40 goals a year throughout the prime of his NHL career (and likely more on occasion with a good run of luck and the right linemates). He doesn’t shoot it as hard as Arthur Kaliyev, but he’s still a clear cut above him and the rest of the game’s top goal-scoring prospects (Chaz LuciusMason McTavish, Carter Savoie, Alexander HoltzCole Sillinger, etc

2019 #1 QMJHL draft pick/Habs 2021 5th round #150 pick kicks off pre-season today;

Sherbrooke Phoenix at Shawinigan Cataractes 7:00 pm - Pre-season

Joshua Roy -

roy.jpg

Position: RW/C
Height: 6-0
Weight: 190
Shoots: Left
Birthdate: 2003-08-06 Age: 18
 2019-2020 Saint John Sea Dogs QMJHL 

2020-2021 Saint John Sea Dogs QMJHL

2020-2021 Sherbrooke Phoenix QMJHL

2020-2021 Total QMJHL

QMJHL Total:

21 hours ago, DON said:

Hope he isn't superstitious.

Finland U20 at Czech Republic U20 10:00 am - U20 4-Nations Tournament (Hodonin, Czech Republic)

Oliver Kapanen -
Jan Mysak -

Russia U20 vs Sweden U20 1:30 pm - U20 4-Nations Tournament (Hodonin, Czech Republic)

Dmitri Kostenko

Frölunda HC at BK Mladá Boleslav 11:00 am - Champions Hockey League Group Stage

Mattias Norlinder

The kid doesn't lack confidence:

«Kasperi? C’est clair que je vais devenir meilleur que lui!»

Oliver is certain he will be better than Cousin KK (Kasperi Kapanen) ...  not a McDavid-ish bar (that KK is a 19g/82 games the last three seasons) but wouldn't be at all bad for a 64th overall pick (Brad Richards has the most games played for a #64, Kent Nilsson the best scorer) ... he will be competing with Norlinder for the title of best ever 64th over pick by the habs with Norlinder ... only one other #64 pick by habs even played in the NHL (Robert Holland) even played in the NHL ... BTW, Holland and Pat Hughes were traded to Pittsburgh for Denis Herron and 1982 second-round pick (the legendary Jocelyn Gauvreau) on August 30, 1979.

image.jpeg

Heard mumbo-jumbo from so many prospects over the years, i just basically ignore stuff like this. 

But, i suppose being cocky isnt a bad thing.

August 27 games

Finland U20 3 Russia U20 0 (Final) - U20 4-Nations Tournament (Hodonin, Czech Republic)

Oliver Kapanen (#11) - no points

Sweden U20 3 Czech Republic U20 9 (Final) - U20 4-Nations Tournament (Hodonin, Czech Republic)

Jan Mysak (#19) - one goal (1), two assists

August 26 games

Finland U20 0 Czech Republic U20 3 (Final) - U20 4-Nations Tournament (Hodonin, Czech Republic)

Oliver Kapanen (#11) - no points
Jan Mysak (#19) - no points

https://habsprospects.com/index.html