Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Just now, DON said:

older i get, the less i can stomach fighting

this is wonderful, he can duke it out, which is all well and good, but will he be a pro-hockey pylon

THAT is the $64,000 question ... I still see a place for what I call "organic fights" ... meaning they develop in the course of play and are not pre-arranged (i.e., "wanna go" after the face-off) ... what makes Tom Wilson a $5.1M+ player is not his fighting ... it is that while being one of the very best fighters in the NHL he is legitimately a top line winger with Ovie and Kuznetsov ... from 18/19 onwards he has been a 25.6 goals per 82 game scorer.

Xhekaj's pugilistic skills will be a definite asset for him but if he can't be a decent NHL defenceman (i.e., deserving of at least 3rd pairing minutes) then the fighting will only get him in the line-up for games here and there ... undrafted in the OHL and the NHL, he seems to be a hard-working, late bloomer who will likely need at least a couple of AHL seasons before we can judge if he has any chance at the NHL ... fingers crossed ... 

Kidney 1g1a

Simoneau 2g 2nd star

Trudeau 3a

Xhekaj 1a

Guhle 2a

Farrell/Tuch/Harris/Struble 0pts

Stapley 3g1a

Biondi 1g

Dobes 2g 36shot win; 1.84 0.932%

QMJHL Forward of the Month

Xavier Simoneau – Charlottetown Islanders – 9GP, 4G, 15A, 19Pts

The Charlottetown Islanders continue to occupy their familiar post at the top of the Maritime Division standings thanks in large part to their dynamic newcomer, Xavier Simoneau. The 20-year-old from Saint-Andre-Avellin, Quebec did nothing but score at a torrid pace since joining the Isles after an off-season deal with the Drummondville Voltigeurs. Closing off the month on a seven-game point streak, Simoneau recorded three or more points in six November matchups, including a four-point effort against the Halifax Mooseheads on the 14th. The shifty center remained focused on defensive responsibilities as well, recording a +6 rating over the course of the month.

Simoneau enters December with 38 points in just 19 games, tied for second in the QMJHL. With 266 career regular season points, the march to 300 is on for the 2021 Montreal Canadiens draftee.

Honorable Mention

Joshua Roy– Sherbrooke Phoenix – 10GP, 7G, 13A, 20Pts

The Phoenix have risen again in Sherbrooke and the first overall selection from the 2019 QMJHL Draft is leading the charge. Roy finishes November leading the league scoring derby with 39 points thanks to a memorable month in which he hit the scoresheet in nine of ten games, including the second and third four-point offerings of his young season.

He seems to have "the hands" 

Roy            1st Q scoring 45pts 25gms

Simoneau 3rd Q scoring 43pts 22gms

Kidney      12th 36pts 25gms

Trudeau    16th in d-scoring 16pts 25gms

Mysak 2a 1st star in 3-2 SO win; 15g 29pts 22gms (in 19-20 Mysak 15g 25pts 22gms)

Just 1 pt behind Shane Wright (30pts)

8 hours ago, DON said:

Mysak 2a 1st star in 3-2 SO win; 15g 29pts 22gms (in 19-20 Mysak 15g 25pts 22gms)

Just 1 pt behind Shane Wright (30pts)

It's a good performance by Mysak, but need to be cautious comparing to Wright, as Mysak is a year older.

47 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's a good performance by Mysak, but need to be cautious comparing to Wright, as Mysak is a year older.

Agreed ... and if one wanted to be negative one could point out that Mysak has not significantly improved his "numbers" as compared to the 22 games last season ... that said, I like Mysak and have hopes for him to be a legit bottom 6 NHLer ... anything better would, in my mind, be a bonus.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It was more kinda a shot at Wright not doing so well.

Mysak is doing "OK" but no offensive improvement from rookie year 2 years ago, so bit disappointment he isnt ripping it up more.

31 minutes ago, DON said:

It was more kinda a shot at Wright not doing so well ...

Yeah ... currently tied for 12th in OHL scoring ... hardly bad but not up to his reputation ... pre-draft jitters?

It will be interesting to see if it impacts his ranking by any of Button et al as their rankings progress.

London Knights 6 Kitchener Rangers 2 (Final)

Arber Xhekaj - wasn't in the lineup, suspended

(Wonder what will Gorton's take on this fellow will be?)

Joshua Roy - no points; just 4th time in 25games held without a point.

Any word on controversial Logan Mailloux, i assume he must be skating/working out somewhere (London?) and will be playing in OHL in the New year?

41 minutes ago, DON said:

London Knights 6 Kitchener Rangers 2 (Final)

Arber Xhekaj - wasn't in the lineup, suspended

(Wonder what will Gorton's take on this fellow will be?)

Joshua Roy - no points; just 4th time in 25games held without a point.

Any word on controversial Logan Mailloux, i assume he must be skating/working out somewhere (London?) and will be playing in OHL in the New year?

wasn't Mailloux suspended indefinitely by the league?

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Slim to nil would be my guess.

I think that's about right. They know going into camp who they like, always a couple spots available but Roy would really have to impress with his defensive discipline.  I am happy he got an invite when you consider Mathew Savoie didn't get one which is surprising. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that's about right. They know going into camp who they like, always a couple spots available but Roy would really have to impress with his defensive discipline.  I am happy he got an invite when you consider Mathew Savoie didn't get one which is surprising. 

And it makes no sense to play Roy as a bottom-six forward. He's either good enough for the top six, or not good enough at all.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And it makes no sense to play Roy as a bottom-six forward. He's either good enough for the top six, or not good enough at all.

I think at this level all players are going to be talented and have to buy in to a system of playing both ends of the ice because you are lining up against guys who are all talented. I don't think you can easily classify these guys as top 6, bottom 6 as you would for NHL teams although you do need guys who can win faceoffs and can trust in the last minute of a close game. I think it's more like top 9, bottom 3. 

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Slim to nil would be my guess.

Oh, thats too bad, i didnt have a clue how deep the team is.

Hope he takes the rejection well and spurs him on to an awesome productive 2nd half of season.

Trudeau 1a (Simoneau not dressed in same game (sick, injured?)?)

Mysak 1g

Guhle 1g GWG