Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the camp was a great experience for him and makes him hungry to continue to work hard and develop. 

"Joshua Roy is the youngest prospect in the Habs system, and has been putting together an incredible draft-plus-one season with the Sherbrooke Phoenix in the QMJHL. He’s currently second in the league with 45 points through 25 games, and it was that production that made him impossible to ignore."

Next year see how he does.

Joshua Roy is really starting to look like a 5th round steal.  If he had been born 6 weeks later he wouldn't have been old enough for the draft.  You need to find some gems in the later rounds to be successful.  It's a big draft year coming up, they need to get this one right. 

As much as folks crapped on Timmins, every draft is a crapshoot. But, if had two 1st round picks, that would be a nice start.

Is still 6-7 months away, but wonder if the draft be in-person this year?

Khekaj 1g(5)1a; 15pts in 17gms, impressive offense for the hot-headed kid

Simoneau back playing 1a

Trudeau 1g(6)1a; 21pts 30gms

Roy 1a

Dobes 2g on 44shots win; 12-5 2.23 0.923.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/catching-the-torch/2021/12/17/22837894/catching-the-torch-ohl-canadiens-prospects-highlights-update-jan-mysak-arber-xhekaj-daniil-sobolev

Boxing day will see how well Guhle defends against Jan Mysak.

16 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Dichow saves all 50 shots i 2-0 win in Swedish allsvenskan division. 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/lVlMGL/dichow-holl-nollan--raddade-50-skott

It's nice to see him getting some somewhat regular game action after last year was a complete write-off for him.  He's one prospect I have a hard time slotting in the rankings since he simply hasn't played much and what he has played has been against lower-level competition.

44 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's nice to see him getting some somewhat regular game action after last year was a complete write-off for him.  He's one prospect I have a hard time slotting in the rankings since he simply hasn't played much and what he has played has been against lower-level competition.

They also write he is 2nd in the league in save%.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

But not (yet) playing against top Swedish opponents.

Allsvenskan is fine for a 21 year old later round pick.  Its better than the ECHL.

Goalies can be really slow to develop.  Unless you have a spencer knight or carey price... level prospect... your best bet is just to have 4 or 5 prospects in the system cause we dont know which one will develop.  Goalies are voodoo.

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Allsvenskan is fine for a 21 year old later round pick.  Its better than the ECHL.

Goalies can be really slow to develop.  Unless you have a spencer knight or carey price... level prospect... your best bet is just to have 4 or 5 prospects in the system cause we dont know which one will develop.  Goalies are voodoo.

Absolutely. I was just tempering the excitement level a bit ...

1. Kaiden Guhle, 19, LD, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL), GP: 20 │ G: 3 │ A: 15 │ PTS: 18
  2. Jordan Harris, 21, LD, Northeastern University (NCAA), GP: 18 │ G: 2 │ A: 9 │ PTS: 11
  3. Sean Farrell, 20, C/LW, Harvard University (NCAA), GP: 11 │ G: 6 │ A: 8 │ PTS: 14
  4. Jan Mysak, 19, C, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL), GP: 25 │ G: 17 │ A: 14 │ PTS: 31
  5. Logan Mailloux, 18, RD, London Knights (OHL)
    “Logan has put his head down and gone to work in everything that’s been asked of him through this period of penance, rehabilitation and enlightenment,” said Ramage. “And he’s done it with a really good attitude. There’s no woe is me ... “I’ve been impressed with his attitude, and he’s embraced this process as something productive and something that’s going to help him deal with things in life moving forward. He’s worked hard.

This doesn't give me great hope about Habs prospect depth ... not certain I expect Farrell or Mysak to be Top 6 quality forwards ... Mailloux's ranking is clearly based on the pre-draft talent evaluation ... cannot be on historic character or recent performance ... not certain I would expect Rampage to say anything but what is quoted but hopefully he is right ... Habs need Mailloux to have value either to them or in a trade ... otherwise MB's last draft not only tarnished the team's image but also wasted a first-round pick.

I am very curious how Commandant and others more expert then me feel about the list ... anyone missed?

I haven't set the HW rankings yet (it's on my list to do next week and then start writing them since we won't need them for February now) but Guhle seems to be in the right spot if Caufield's ineligible by their definition.  Mailloux seems to be in the right range - they only have last season to go on but it was determined by them that he was a first-round-calibre talent at that time and I don't think sitting a half-season (we'll see if it's more) will drastically affect things.  I probably won't have Farrell/Mysak in the top five (at least I don't think I will) - that seems a little optimistic and I generally don't like to crank rankings up that drastically.  

Norlinder should be in that range as well as Primeau.  I'll probably have Struble on the fringes of the top five as well but I have a higher opinion of him than most seem to.  Poehling probably doesn't qualify on their list but I think he does on ours so he's probably a top-10 option as well.

Norlinder should be in the top 5. 

Primeau should be in the top 5 as well. 

Farrell would be just outside that range, but would be fighting with Riley Kidney and Joshua Roy for the 6th spot right now. 
I'd have Mysack below that group. 

I'd have Struble in the mix for a top 10 too. 

I want to see more of Brook, Kapanen, and the Russian Ds though.

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I haven't set the HW rankings ...

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Norlinder should be in the top 5 ...

Thank you gentlemen ... more in line with what I would have expected

I hope Kapanen has a development curve at least as good as that of Ylonen.

Edited by alfredoh2009
Changed improvement to delopment

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Dichow gets a short-term promotion to the SHL although it's unlikely he'll get to play.

https://www.roglebk.se/artikel/3b6nakxlw-3k501/rogle-lanar-malvakt-fran-kristianstad

Called up to Rogle BK Angelholm to backup Christoffer Rifalk while Calle Clang is at the WJHC (Google is a wonderful thing) ... I would never wish an injury on a player ... but if Rifalk were to get a case of the flu bad enough to get Frederik a start or two it would be OK with me.

Dichow is having a very good season in the Swe-1 ... 2.02 / .932 on a team whose other goalie (Olof Lindbom, 2018 Rangers 2nd round pick) is 2.92 / .914 ... looking forward to seeing how Frederik develops the next couple of seasons.

A nice article on Xhekaj in the local paper:

https://www.therecord.com/sports/rangers/2021/12/27/the-evolution-of-arber-xhekaj.html

It's behind a paywall so I'll attach a text version here.

Years of watching his parents pour every penny into their kids’ passions helped give Xhekaj his appreciation for hard work and explains why, despite scoring an NHL deal, there won’t be big-ticket purchases or fancy cars any time soon.

“I’m not like that,” he said. “I still have my 2006 silver Jetta.”

Teammates are aware of his story. So, too, are the coaches. In fact, McKenzie often uses it when addressing the troops.

“As a rookie, he was scratched and played forward and defence,” said the Rangers coach. “Look where he was and where he got to. It’s a really good example for us and other teams, for parents and for other leagues to point at as proof that it can happen if you work for it.”

Xhekaj just wants to focus on hockey.

The Rangers have underachieved so far this season and are fighting for a playoff position in the OHL’s western conference.

The alternate captain believes in his team and wants to finish his junior career on a high before pursuing his dream of playing in the NHL.

“I have lots to prove,” he said. “My journey’s not over yet. Signing a contract is obviously a big deal but it’s nothing. I haven’t made it yet.”

the-evolution-of-arber-xhekaj.txt

7 minutes ago, DON said:

I just hope the kid smartens up, love background and all that; but, the bush-league crap he comes up way too often, that hurts his team, gotta go.  

He does seem to take coaching well, and Ramage is clearly giving him the right direction. He's still a long shot, but we'll see where it goes.

“Arber would have loved my era,” said Ramage, a retired defenceman who played more than 1,000 NHL games from the late 1970s to mid-1990s. “He would have loved it and excelled. But the game has changed, and we’ve talked about that.

“He doesn’t have to prove his toughness to anyone. We know that he has that. But we also want him to play and to continue to improve his skills.

“It’s fine to be a tough player, but I want him on the ice. It’s far more valuable to the Rangers and the next level when he’s playing because he’s a good player. He’s going to have to address that plain and simple. That’s going to be another one of his challenges.”