Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

48 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A nice article on Xhekaj in the local paper:

https://www.therecord.com/sports/rangers/2021/12/27/the-evolution-of-arber-xhekaj.html

It's behind a paywall so I'll attach a text version here

Interesting that it came up as behind a paywall.  When I posted it yesterday in the links, it wasn't paywalled then.

Mattias goes Arnie:

Either his supposed unhappiness with how things went with the Habs was just clickbait (or maybe MB related) or he is smart enough to keep it to himself ... overall he seems very positive about this year and the future.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Interesting that it came up as behind a paywall.  When I posted it yesterday in the links, it wasn't paywalled then.

Torstar (which owns The Record) seems to have tightened their paywall very recently, possibly even today.

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Jacob Olofsson transfers to Bjorkloven in Sweden's second division and signs a contract through the end of next season.  There's more proof that he won't be signing with the Habs by the June 1st deadline.

https://www.bjorkloven.com/artikel/o3buakxua-2e4ad/olofsson-ansluter

do you think it is possible to trade his rights for a 7th round pick in 2023? or some low value asset in return?

Another team may have a better chance to sign him and play him in their system (Kraken, Coyotes, Pittsburgh)

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

do you think it is possible to trade his rights for a 7th round pick in 2023? or some low value asset in return?

Another team may have a better chance to sign him and play him in their system (Kraken, Coyotes, Pittsburgh)

No, I don't think it's possible.  He simply hasn't played well enough to justify an NHL contract from anyone.

TSN's coverage of the CHL begins January 7th (online - small font) and January 14th on TV ... games involving already drafted Habs prospects (pending any NHL or CHL trades) are highlighted below in blue ... possible #1 2022 draft pick Shane Wright appearances are highlighted in red ... if I missed any Habs prospect games let me know in the next few days and I edit the post

Jan 7            Sherbrooke Phoenix @ Charlottetown Islanders

Jan 13          Guelph Storm @ Windsor Spitfires

Jan 14    Sudbury Wolves @ Kingston Frontenacs

Jan 14    Prince George Cougars @ Vancouver Giants

Jan 20          Quebec Remparts @ Saint John Sea Dogs

Jan 21    Regina Pats @ Brandon Wheat Kings

Jan 25          Prince Albert Raiders @ Regina Pats

Jan 28    Acadie-Bahurst Titan @ Drummondville Voltigeurs

Feb 2      CHL Top Prospects Game

Feb 3           Kingston Frontenacs @ Barrie Colts

Feb 4      Kamloops Blazers @ Vancouver Giants

Feb 8           Regina Pats @ Edmonton Oiler Kings

Feb 11    London Knights @ Kitchener Rangers

Feb 13         Hamilton Bulldogs @ Kingston Frontenacs

Feb 18    Sherbrooke Phoenix @ Rimouski Oceanic

Feb 21         Winnipeg ICE @ Edmonton Oil Kings

Feb 25    Oshawa Generals @ Kingston Frontenacs

Feb 27         St John Sea Dogs @ Moncton Wildcats

Mar 4      TBA 

Mar 8           Prince George Cougars @ Kamloops Blazers

Mar 11    Shawinigan Cataractes @ Victoriaville Tigres

Mar 13         London Knights @ Sarnia Sting

Mar 24         Red Deer Rebels @ Calgary Hitmen

Mar 27         Halifax Mooseheads @ Saint John Sea Dogs

Apr 1            Winnipeg ICE  @ Regina Pats

Kitchener's beat reporter speculates that Xhekaj could be moved by the OHL trade deadline:

16. Speaking of the Rangers, Arber Xhekaj is their biggest asset, and one of the best rearguards in the OHL. Being an overage player limits his destinations if he’s traded but methinks the team would have to get at least two second-round picks for the Montreal Canadiens prospect. And I’m not even sure if that’s enough.

17. London could upgrade at OA. Even more interesting is Guelph, where fans have long jeered Xhekaj. The Storm has two overage openings. Xhekaj in London colours? Excuse me while I barf. In Guelph colours? Not as off putting, but still a bad taste in my mouth.

https://www.therecord.com/sports/rangers/2021/12/31/the-ohl-21-limping-in-to-2022.html

As an OA, the deadline for Xhekaj to be traded is January 10th.  I'd add North Bay to the list of possible suitors.

14 hours ago, DON said:

Farrell 1g(7)2a

Thanks for the update, didn't realize the colleges were back playing again. 

Just another thought, if we are going to talk about Logan Mailloux and only discuss his development as a hockey player (which I am very good with and would prefer) then shouldn't this be the right thread for it?  I don't think he needs his own thread any more than Kaiden Guhle or Jordan Harris need their own thread. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... Just another thought, if we are going to talk about Logan Mailloux and only discuss his development as a hockey player (which I am very good with and would prefer) then shouldn't this be the right thread for it?  I don't think he needs his own thread any more than Kaiden Guhle or Jordan Harris need their own thread. 

Fair point ... the separate thread made sense for the specific news of his reinstatement but now this thread would make sense on anything about how he performs.

There are some rumblings that Kaiden Guhle is on the long list of players that could now represent Canada at the Olympics.  That's assuming the Oil Kings would allow him to go considering he'd miss the better part of a month after they just paid a lot to get him.  It'd be neat if he makes it though.

Neat maybe.

I got zero love for, or any interest in "The" olympics.

If Guhle and team make it to Memorial cup and he is the MVP of the tournament that would be much nicer to see happen.

Welcome home Mattias

habsprospects.com:

MAILLOUX debut today.

January 7 games

Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk at HC Sochi 9:00 am

Alexander Gordin -

JHC Spartak Moscow 4 Krylya Sovetov Moscow 3 (Final OT) - Watch online

Dmitri Kostenko - three assists

Flint Firebirds at London Knights 7:00 pm

Logan Mailloux -

University of Minnesota at Michigan State University 6:30 pm

Rhett Pitlick -

Arizona State University at Boston University 7:30 pm - Watch online

Luke Tuch -

Long Island University at Northeastern University 7:30 pm - Watch online

Jordan Harris -
Jayden Struble -

Lake Superior State University at Bemidji State University 8:07 pm

Arvid Henrikson -

Not going to lie. When I saw the headline about Arber X getting traded from Rangers to the Bulldogs... My first thought was how did our AHL team trade for a guy from NYR when I thought he was our prospect...

Then I remembered Kitchener and that the Bulldogs are an OHL team now. I was very very confused for a second.