Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Simoneau 0pts 1st star of game, 1-0 OT win.

Roy 2g1a 1st star of game

Guhle 1g 3shots

Xhekaj 6shots

Mailloux/Mysak 4 shots

Tuch 1a

Harris 1a 6 shots

Struble 1g2a 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/catching-the-torch/2022/3/5/22960852/catching-the-torch-canadiens-prospect-stats-highlights-sean-farrell-injury-joshua-roy-scoring-streak

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The shootout winner from Xhekaj last night:

I was a little surprised to see him go 4th in the shootout and Mysak not shoot at all.

Perhaps throwing a "wild card" at the 67s, someone for whom they would not have a "book" ... but he looked convincingly deserving ... maybe he has the skills but isn't able to express them in real time game action.

Roy 1a

Kidney 3a, in 3rd period. 5a 3rd star in a 11-2 blowout.

Roy 40gm 78pts (1st Q scoring)

Simoneau 34gm 62pts (7th)

Kidney 40gms 60pts (9th)

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

I remember Max Lapierre being really good in shootouts.  It didn't translate to games, he was never a scorer.  Its not necessarily the same skillset even if its related.

He did score a great Savardian goal though. I miss happy Lappy sometimes.

Mailloux 4shots 1 fight

Norlinder 0 pts (0pts in 14 SHL games)

Kidney injured yesterday, out.:(

Vrbetic 30shot 2g win; 23-9-3 3.02 0.900%

He was willing to fight ... but not so successful in this case

Not sure if this is the right place to bring this up or if it's been discussed lately, but does anyone have any info on Jordan Harris? What are the chances of him signing with us and when would he be eligible to sign? 

19 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Not sure if this is the right place to bring this up or if it's been discussed lately, but does anyone have any info on Jordan Harris? What are the chances of him signing with us and when would he be eligible to sign? 

I've moved this into the prospect thread which is a better fit than the 2022 draft one.

There seems to be some confidence that he'll sign now since Hughes took over as GM given that there is a bit of history between the two.  I'm not sure I'd peg it any higher than a coin flip at the moment.

He's eligible to sign at any time but he'll obviously wait until his college year comes to an end (will they make the end-of-season tournament?).  He can sign once that's done and burn the first year right away where it'd almost certainly come with an NHL promise for the stretch run.  Alternatively, he can choose not to sign, and become an unrestricted free agent on August 16th.

Worth noting (and I'm spoiling part of a future article if I have time to do a Trade Odds piece on the prospects) is that if Harris goes to the Habs and says he's signing with Boston (they're the likely destination if he goes to free agency), Montreal can trade him there.  If that's done before the deadline, Boston can sign him and burn the first year right away as he'll be on their reserve list at the deadline which is the cut off point.  For getting the ability to use him down the stretch and ensure he's in the organization, the Habs could recoup a late-round pick or something like that from the Bruins.

Ok, thanks. Any thoughts on what pairing he is projected for? 

12 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Ok, thanks. Any thoughts on what pairing he is projected for? 

I like him as a third-pairing player in a perfect world.  I don't know how high his upside truly is but his floor is quite high as well.  He's good enough defensively and skates at an NHL level already.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I like him as a third-pairing player in a perfect world.  I don't know how high his upside truly is but his floor is quite high as well.  He's good enough defensively and skates at an NHL level already.

Who would you consider a comparable NHLer?

Mete had NHL speed at that age or earlier, but just cant defend or shoot for crap.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Who would you consider a comparable NHLer?

Mete had NHL speed at that age or earlier, but just cant defend or shoot for crap.

Skating wise, they're pretty close.  Harris is a little bigger, a little stronger, and a little better defensively. 

I don't think Harris will have a big impact offensively.  If we're using Montreal references, I'd put him somewhere in the range of Mete and Kulak on that front.  Harris has the offensive skills to affect a game but it doesn't come to fruition very often.  I doubt that changes in the pros.  He can skate and join/lead a rush but he won't score a bunch in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

At his peak, we are looking at a 4/5 type, I think.

He's not someone we want to lose cause he'll be a cost controlled NHLer for a while and thats good value.  But he's not changing this team.  Guhle and Romanov are much more likely to be the top 4 guys on the left. 

• Upvote 1

would Struble at his peak be equivalent to Chiarot now? I do not *read much excitement around him, so I am curious on how he fits on the Habs future

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

would Struble at his peak be equivalent to Chiarot now? I do not *read much excitement around him, so I am curious on how he fits on the Habs future

I'm higher on Struble than most and I think he has top-four upside if everything pans out although that's a bigger if than a lot of prospects.  I don't think Chiarot is a great comparison though in terms of style.  Struble reminds a bit of Romanov in that there is some decent offensive skill without any major flaws but it still doesn't translate to a lot of points and will take himself right out of position to go for a big hit.  Romanov has him beat in terms of discipline, however, by a long shot (that's the biggest question mark for Struble).  Chiarot is a fairly steady player whereas there isn't much that's steady about Struble.

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm higher on Struble than most and I think he has top-four upside if everything pans out although that's a bigger if than a lot of prospects.  I don't think Chiarot is a great comparison though in terms of style.  Struble reminds a bit of Romanov in that there is some decent offensive skill without any major flaws but it still doesn't translate to a lot of points and will take himself right out of position to go for a big hit.  Romanov has him beat in terms of discipline, however, by a long shot (that's the biggest question mark for Struble).  Chiarot is a fairly steady player whereas there isn't much that's steady about Struble.

Thanks, I was going off memory vaguely remembering that he was strong/fit and had impressed at the combine where Chiarot is the most physical D we have. 
Romanov gives lots of checks but he is not a “force” in front of the net where Chiarot is about the only one that clears the front of the net consistently

Anybody know anything about "Mason Black"?  It is certainly a flattering projection for Joshua Roy ... will Roy REALLY be as good as Stamkos, Filip Forsberg or Sebastian Aho (similar Pts/Gm this NHL season to a 92 point season).