Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DON said:

Which hab prospects/draftee's "likely" be at World juniors?

Canada:

Guhle (if he's allowed, he's a lock...don't think he'll be allowed to play though)

Roy (late cut last time, finished season strong, Canada won't have everyone back they had last time so he might squeak in)

US:

Don't think Hutson or Biondi make it, Smilanic was on the original roster but not invited back

Czechia:

Mysak

Slovakia:

Slafkovsky (see Guhle)

Mesar

Finland:

Kapanen

Nurmi (he was on the original team in December)

Austria:

Rohrer

Mysak, Mesar, Kapanen, and Rohrer are all basically locks at a minimum with some other maybes.

• Like 1

Habs rookie camp

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/2022-07-10/le-canadien/six-dossiers-a-suivre-au-camp-de-developpement.php

"Logan Mailloux

He won't be on the ice as he is still recovering from season-ending shoulder surgery. However, this will be the first time he will participate in an official Canadian event. As of this writing, it is unknown if he will speak to the media, he who has remained silent since July 24, 2021, the day after his selection by the Habs in the first round. His absence from on-ice activities is yet another reminder of how little mileage he has accumulated. Since March 2020, he has only played 31 games, including 19 in the Swedish third division, in a caliber that we guess is not optimal

Guhle

First choice of the Canadian a year before Mailloux, Guhle is eagerly awaited by many fans. That said, he will not put on the skates, he who is listed among the injured in the camp. The nature of his injury is unknown, but he participated in the Memorial Cup last month and no medical issues were mentioned. However, he did not speak to the media after the elimination of the Edmonton Oil Kings. Guhle and Mailloux are the only two players announced as injured. Everything therefore suggests that Justin Barron has recovered from his ankle injury suffered in April. Barron, acquired from the Colorado Avalanche against Artturi Lehkonen, had had time to play five games with the Habs before his misfortune.

Farrell

Casually, this will be his first official visit to Montreal. The Habs' last development camp was in 2019, so players drafted in 2020 (like Farrell) haven't had the experience yet. For players on the American college circuits, it is also the only opportunity to hit the ice with their professional team, since simply participating in training camp would make them lose their eligibility for the NCAA. Farrell, a short forward, had quite the year, amassing 28 points in 24 games at Harvard, in addition to playing for the United States at the Beijing Games.

Arber Xhekaj

We were talking earlier about players who are not yet physically mature. That's not the case with Xhekaj, the heaviest player in this camp at 221 lbs. The tough defenseman helped the Hamilton Bulldogs to the Memorial Cup. Never drafted, he landed a contract with the Canadiens at the end of training camp last fall. His progress has been intriguing ever since. A possible gift which Kent Hughes inherits from Marc Bergevin.

The absents

Twenty-four of the twenty-eight players drafted by the Canadian for three years will be present. The four absentees are Jan Mysak (2nd round  , 2020), Alexander Gordin (6th round  , 2020), Dimitri Kostenko (3rd round, 2021) and  Daniil Sobolev (5th round  , 2021). Mysak has a scheduling conflict due to a Czech national team camp for the Junior World Championship. The other three players have in common to be Russian. The World Juniors is not a problem, since their country is excluded. The Canadian speaks of “logistical problems” to explain their absence.

tenor.gif?itemid=5609465&ehk=ByljXmmjsME

From the Journal de Montreal (online translation with tweaks)

Some positive views on where Logan Mailloux is now.

Logan Mailloux: “His maturity struck me”

Bruno Gervais is impressed by the progress of defender Logan Mailloux

More than a year after being selected in the first round by the Canadiens, Logan Mailloux gave his first official on-ice appearance with the organization on Monday. However, since he is recovering from a shoulder injury, the defender took to the ice at the Brossard sports complex before the rest of the group.

Anyone who has followed the activities of the Habs over the past 12 months is familiar with the storm at the center of which the 19-year-old Ontarian was embroiled by sharing explicit photos of a young woman with whom he had had a sexual relationship.

Brought before the Swedish courts, Mailloux had asked that no team draft him during the 2021 auction. The former management of the CH ignored this request and had drafted him all the same, creating a real scandal. .

Faced with the outcry, the Canadiens had pledged to help Mailloux to ensure that he understood the consequences of his action.

During the season, while in the London Knights entourage of the Ontario Junior League, the defenceman underwent therapy and a plan with an academic and personal development counselor .

The Montreal organization went even further by holding a seminar with all the hopefuls present at its development camp.

Of the road traveled

Through the Respect Group, the young men received training on consent, bullying, abuse, harassment, discrimination and respect.

Sheldon Kennedy, founder of the company and himself a victim of sexual abuse in the junior ranks, as well as Bruno Gervais were the speakers of the group which carries out this type of meetings in all workplaces and schools.

Without this being the precise objective of their presence at the Brossard sports complex, the two former NHL players spoke with Mailloux. Gervais was greatly surprised by the development of the young man.

“It knocked me to the ground how grounded he is. It's still a touchy subject, but he talks about it. And the work that comes from himself and the work that he is ready to do, it's impressive,” said the former New York Islander.

“Just chatting with him, you see the journey he has made. His maturity struck me,” he added.

The hour of redemption

Obviously, there will always be someone to bring up the mistake that Mailloux made when he was playing for a Swedish team.

"There aren't many people on this planet who haven't made a mistake," Gervais said.

Does he deserve redemption? asked a colleague.

"In my eyes, yes," he replied. We are quick to want to throw these people into oblivion. If you want to educate yourself, you have to be able to see the person who made the mistake doing the work and learning so that you can make a positive impact.

“It is not a question of excusing the gesture, on the contrary. But then we can move on,” he continued.

Gervais salutes Mailloux's desire to transform a negative event into a positive situation.

"Maybe he's the one who, at some point, will grab another youngster by the shoulder and bring him back before it's too late."

“I wish him a long career.”

Logan Mailloux meets the press, with Rob Ramage ... overall positive session IMO

• Audio is horrible
    • Mailloux doesn't seem like the most natural "media guy" ... no PK Subban
    • seems sincere in his regret to me
    • Ramage and Mailloux have spoken weekly since he was drafted ... personally I respect that no fanfare made of the process ... they seem to have bonded ... Ramage can relate ... his 2003 car accident that resulted in the death of Keith Magnuson ... ultimately received a four year prison sentence ... entered minimum security prison in July 2010 ... paroled in May 2011 ... parole expired in July 2014

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Logan Mailloux meets the press, with Rob Ramage ... overall positive session IMO

• Audio is horrible
    • Mailloux doesn't seem like the most natural "media guy" ... no PK Subban
    • seems sincere in his regret to me
    • Ramage and Mailloux have spoken weekly since he was drafted ... personally I respect that no fanfare made of the process ... they seem to have bonded ... Ramage can relate ... his 2003 car accident that resulted in the death of Keith Magnuson ... ultimately received a four year prison sentence ... entered minimum security prison in July 2010 ... paroled in May 2011 ... parole expired in July 2014

It did seem like a positive session,  he definitely has grown as a person from the last interview I saw, seems like a much more mature person. Good to see. 

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It did seem like a positive session,  he definitely has grown as a person from the last interview I saw, seems like a much more mature person. Good to see. 

We shall see, talk is cheap. He acted like a complete idiot after his 1st fight of the year, then he got knocked the f out in his next bout (Karma?), which made many smile, i am sure.

Similar to Gallagher..." i had bad year simply due to short off season...." Well, he is having a nice long off-season. Then we shall see if he has lost 1/2 step (which no athlete likes to admit) or had a valid excuse for crap season.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I don't really care about his play last season. 

Why not?

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

What I want to see is what he is capable of in the future, in the NHL.

Well, we will see how he does in a full OHL season (basically his rookie junior year upcoming, with all of 16 OHL games under his belt) first, likley be 2024-25 before he is full time NHLer (if ever does). Till then he simply a prospect and an asset that may be traded at any time now.

Hutson :hyper:

Baron :surrender:

On 7/12/2022 at 6:21 PM, DON said:

Why not?

Because he only played 16 OHL games, it's a small enough sample so as to be meaningless. He still has potential, I want to see what he can do in the future.

17 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Because he only played 16 OHL games, it's a small enough sample so as to be meaningless. 

Why did he only play 16 games though, cant be swept under carpet or meaningless, obviously.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Why did he only play 16 games though, cant be swept under carpet or meaningless, obviously.

I agree, it is not meaningless. It was his first 16 games in the OHL and he looked really good.  Obviously you want to see a bigger sample size but he showed a lot in those 16 games. 

Hopefully getting knocked out and injuring shoulder in fight, was bit of wake up call.

Hopefully he can manage 1.0pts/gm in the OHL this coming season, that would be impressive.

2 hours ago, DON said:

https://theathletic.com/3378782/2022/06/27/arber-xhekaj-montreal-canadiens/

How ‘monster’ Arber Xhekaj beat the odds to earn a contract with the Canadiens

Xhekaj_BT001-scaled.jpg

He is a great story ... I don't have any illusions about his challenging the Habs top defence prospects ... but won't bet against him carving out a spot down the line (likely 6/7, maybe topping out as a #5).

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He is a great story ... I don't have any illusions about his challenging the Habs top defence prospects ... but won't bet against him carving out a spot down the line (likely 6/7, maybe topping out as a #5).

Yup, fingers crossed he can earn trust of coaches and a top 4 role in Laval.

Also hope he has some anger therapy (or the like) this summer, the temper tantrums get curbed and learns to play whistle to whistle.

Add Mesar to the list of Montreal players not expected to play at the WJC next month.  He's not on their training camp roster and apparently their preference is to have him and Slafkovsky in Montreal in August to start their preseason preparations and get acclimated to life in North America.