Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Mysak goal

< deleted >   total brain fart

2 hours ago, DON said:

Is Roy's skating what may hold him back at pro level?

Dosent look the quickest.

That's the biggest area of concern right now.  He doesn't need to be a speedster but with the Habs transitioning to playing a more up-tempo style, he's going to need to find a bit more top-end speed.  On top of that, coasting less will also need to happen.

But it's important to note he was a fifth-round pick.  Players picked in the fifth round often have holes in their game.  He'll be a good test for the revamped development department as if they can improve his skating, Roy could be an interesting NHL prospect in a couple of years.

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's the biggest area of concern right now.  He doesn't need to be a speedster but with the Habs transitioning to playing a more up-tempo style, he's going to need to find a bit more top-end speed.  On top of that, coasting less will also need to happen.

But it's important to note he was a fifth-round pick.  Players picked in the fifth round often have holes in their game.  He'll be a good test for the revamped development department as if they can improve his skating, Roy could be an interesting NHL prospect in a couple of years.

It will be interesting to see what player development can do with him ... skating is something that can be improved to a degree ... coasting is something that can definitely be addressed if the player is willing ... and if he is never going to be fast he will have to play with pace (i.e., make smart decisions and move the puck quickly), which could allow him to fit in with faster players ... from comments I've heard I suspect a/the reason he is playing with Bedard and McTavish is that he fits with their "hockey smarts" ... if true, that can also be something that helps compensates for a lack of flat-out speed. 

We can only hope .....

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

It will be interesting to see what player development can do with him ... skating is something that can be improved to a degree ...

If I recall correctly, Kotkaniemi substantially improved his skating a couple of years back, working in the summer with a former Finnish speed skater-turned-skating coach.

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Mysak shouldve had a pp goal just now against the fins but the ref blow the whistle to fast.

Late goal by Mysak to tie it up at 3-3, he's 1g+1a for the game now.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Late goal by Mysak to tie it up at 3-3, he's 1g+1a for the game now.

He also scored the Czechs' only goal in the shootout, but the Finns take a 4-3 SO win on the  strength of shootout goals by Simontaival and Jarventie.

18 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Roy 1g+4a in the 11-1 spanking of Slovakia, comparing well with Bedard's 2g+2a. :1banana::1banana::1banana:

It was 11-1, so 1 dancing banana is enough.:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Interesting 

He has some solid hockey IQ or so it seems. 

Dosent he kinda remind you of Drouin's play? Not saying thats all bad, as Drouin does look pretty darn good 'at times'. 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/8/13/23302854/joshua-roy-wjc-world-juniors-stats-highlights-montreal-canadiens-prospects-2022-world-juniors

August 13 games

Canada U20 vs Czechia U20 6:00 pm - WJC Preliminary Round - Watch on TSN5, RDS or NHLN-US

Riley Kidney -
Joshua Roy -
Jan Mysak -

Frölunda HC vs Färjestad BK 10:00 am - SHL Pre-season (Halden, Norway)

Frederik Dichow -

https://habsprospects.com/

10 hours ago, DON said:

Dosent he kinda remind you of Drouin's play? Not saying thats all bad, as Drouin does look pretty darn good 'at times'. 

I look forward to watching more of Roy. 

He looked good on the boards and I was impressed with his positioning without the puck. 

He did make some great passes. He kind of seems like a “glue” type player. A player that holds a line together and makes it work - fills the needed holes. 

But I’ve only seen him play twice so far!

The game against the Czechs should be a better indicator of his play -- and then the Finland game.

It's nice to see he's done well so far but those were not particularly challenging opponents.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:54 PM, DON said:

If a 5th rounder yet to play an NHL game is being compared to Drouin - it reflects well for Roy - not so much for Drouin.

41 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If a 5th rounder yet to play an NHL game is being compared to Drouin - it reflects well for Roy - not so much for Drouin.

These are (almost) always stylistic comparisons only ...

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

These are (almost) always stylistic comparisons only ...

I know. Was meant to be sarcastic comment and shot at a player I hated trading for.