Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

If Hutson is the steal of draft and even before the draft he was highly rated, also with last 2 norris winner being sub 6 footers and he still lasts till the 62nd pick? 100% due to being 5'7" i guess.

Dosent he seem like a more exciting pick than even Beck at 33? I would of preferred Firkus instead of Beck also, but Beck does seem like a 'safe' pick.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/bobrov-on-hutson-we-have-big-hopes-for-him/c-335278860?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=CHCcontent&utm_content=EN-0815-LaneHutson-Feature

Hutson has the higher upside if it all.comes together but Beck is more likely to become an NHLer.  Possibly a third line centre with good defense and some offensive game.  Basically what we hoped Poehling would be.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Hutson has the higher upside if it all.comes together but Beck is more likely to become an NHLer.  Possibly a third line centre with good defense and some offensive game.  Basically what we hoped Poehling would be.

Beck is a dime a dozen player, in other words, whose biggest value is as a Evans-type bare bones salary and is competent NHLer in a cap world.

Wouldnt we all rather see them take a Firkus who is like Hutson, potentially be an above average NHLer... or a bust, which vast majority of 2nd rounders end of being anyways. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Beck is a dime a dozen player, in other words, whose biggest value is as a Evans-type bare bones salary and is competent NHLer in a cap world.

Wouldnt we all rather see them take a Firkus who is like Hutson, potentially be an above average NHLer... or a bust, which vast majority of 2nd rounders end of being anyways. 

I think Beck has a higher ceiling than someone like Evans.  With only one OHL season under his belt thanks to that league not playing in 20-21, there is an upside play to that pick.  Is he a late bloomer with a chance to really become a 1C at that level with elite faceoff skills?  He might be.  That could make him someone with 2C potential in the NHL and that's a profile teams would rather have most of the time over a gifted but undersized winger.

• Like 1

Habs mgmt had all evening to mull over that pick, so obviously hope they guessed right.

Lots of hockey tomorrow.

Aug. 17
Finland vs. Germany, 12 p.m. ET
Sweden vs. Latvia, 3:30 p.m. ET
Canada vs. Switzerland, 7 p.m. ET
United States vs. Czechia, 10:30 p.m. ET

Aug. 19
Semifinal 1, 4 p.m. ET
Semifinal 2, 8 p.m. ET

Aug. 20
Third-place game, 4 p.m. ET
Championship game, 8 p.m. ET

15 hours ago, DON said:

Thats not what I said at all.  He could be a 15-20 goal, 40-45 pt guy with good defensive hockey.  Its what we hoped Poehling would be, not what Poehling is.

I mean, recently we've seen two prospects with a similar profile. One became Poehling and one became Phil Danault, so I wouldn't call him a future dime a dozen player.  Its possible (though unlikely, like with all picks in the 25-35 range) that he becomes a very valuable player. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Czechs pulled off the upset, didn't see that coming.  They'll play Canada in the semis while it's Sweden/Finland in the other matchup.

Sounds like the US could have used some offence, if only a player like Lane Hutson was available 🙃

Ya, not sure they had any firepower from the back end, aside from Hughes?

You know Hutson would of added offense, but am all good with Mysak moving on and USA losing.

Happy boy!

32 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/08/17/clarity-on-montreal-canadiens-prospect-jayden-strubles-future/

Struble going back to NCAA for senior year. Right move given the logjam at d we will see in Laval.

I hope he has a great season and that he forces the Habs to trade one of Harris or Norlinder for a good return

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope he has a great season ...

100% agree

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... that he forces the Habs to trade one of Harris or Norlinder for a good return

Given that he will be one year "behind" them professionally, that decision may be a 2024 decision, trade deadline or draft (not that you implied it would have to be next spring/summer) ... and of course the "good return" could also come for trading Struble if he has a good season. 

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

100% agree

Given that he will be one year "behind" them professionally, that decision may be a 2024 decision, trade deadline or draft (not that you implied it would have to be next spring/summer) ... and of course the "good return" could also come for trading Struble if he has a good season. 

If the Habs tank in 2022-2023, a young D like either Norlinder or Harris would be a nice asset to add in a trade, for example: to move up in the draft or on a package for a shot a first over all

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/08/17/clarity-on-montreal-canadiens-prospect-jayden-strubles-future/

Struble going back to NCAA for senior year. Right move given the logjam at d we will see in Laval.

I saw this while doing the links this morning but I don't know why this is suddenly news.  It was reported four months ago that he was staying in college.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

Struble going back to NCAA for senior year. 

Was never in question, i have my doubts about him amounting too much anyways.

49 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope he has a great season and that he forces the Habs to trade one of Harris or Norlinder for a good return

Norlinder also not worth much at all (at the moment) but hope he comes out flying in Laval and has a solid year there, but he seems maybe will be a Wideman type in the end and also not be a Hab down the road.

Harris is simply a better all round defender than both and not really comparables, in my mind.

Edited by DON
2nd thought
  • Like 1

Just now, Dalhabs said:

Heineman score one goal in Leksand's 3-1 preseason-win over reighning SHL champions Färjestad.

Whats your opinion of him? Have you seen him play much?

Just now, DON said:

Whats your opinion of him? Have you seen him play much?

If I didnt work nightshift I would have seen the game since it was only one hour drive from my home. I cant watch much hockey at all unfortunately. The crazy electric and gasoline prices here in Sweden atm makes me unable to afford any sports tv so all I can do is read and watch highlights.

12 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

If I didnt work nightshift I would have seen the game since it was only one hour drive from my home. I cant watch much hockey at all unfortunately. The crazy electric and gasoline prices here in Sweden atm makes me unable to afford any sports tv so all I can do is read and watch highlights.

Shitty.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I saw this while doing the links this morning but I don't know why this is suddenly news.  It was reported four months ago that he was staying in college.

All those ______hockeynow sites are clickbait and I dont know the montreal guy well but Dater, DK in pitt, and jimmy murphy in boston are like an all star list of the worst beat writers from each team.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Struble likely heads to the ahl after his college career is done.  Hes got a ton of physical tools but still needs to work on hockey sense and putting it all together.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Struble likely heads to the ahl after his college career is done.  Hes got a ton of physical tools but still needs to work on hockey sense and putting it all together.

Agreed, but likely after playing a game(s) with the Habs at the end of next season to burn a year of his ELC ... otherwise it would be possible, maybe even logical, for him to wait until next August and be free to sign with whatever team he feels gives him the best path to the NHL.