Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

I saw Beaulieu play against Chicoutimi and couldn't help thinking he was only a good player in a very good team.

His +/- and come from the domination the team have but they never really been presssure yet and to say

he is not being challenged enought. I though he looked lazy out there, relying on others.

This is probably what pulled him back from other teams down to 17.

He will need to learn to work under pressure at least 2 years in the AHL.

I saw Beaulieu play against Chicoutimi and couldn't help thinking he was only a good player in a very good team.

His +/- and come from the domination the team have but they never really been presssure yet and to say

he is not being challenged enought. I though he looked lazy out there, relying on others.

This is probably what pulled him back from other teams down to 17.

He will need to learn to work under pressure at least 2 years in the AHL.

That's a possibility, but don't forget that he looked pretty good with NHLers in the last pre-season camp. In other words, he certainly needs some time in Hamilton, but he also might be recalled earlier than we think.

There are a ton of great forwards on that St. John's team, no doubt about that.

But everytime I've seen them its been clear who was the guy leading them at the back end.

I still absolutely love that Beaulieu pick. I had him rated 9th last year.

There are a ton of great forwards on that St. John's team, no doubt about that.

But everytime I've seen them its been clear who was the guy leading them at the back end.

I still absolutely love that Beaulieu pick. I had him rated 9th last year.

St.Johns; NFLD has no major junior team, an AHL team yes.

Saint John N.B. does have a solid QMJHL junior team.

Beaulieu has sketchy defense, but he has what cant be taught, offensive talent and great skating. Now we just need to keep fingers crossed that his defense is not MAB weak and more like Subban, which i think is likely the case.

Yes, I know... I always mess those two cities up.

As for his defence. I don't think its that bad. I think fundamentally he does a lot of good things and has good tools.

The issue is he's prone to one mind-numbingly dumb turnover per game, if he can get those out of his system he'll be fine.

Not quite Subban level where he's top pair shutdown D, but he can be the 2nd best D on a team or 3rd best.

Yes, I know... I always mess those two cities up.

As for his defence. I don't think its that bad. I think fundamentally he does a lot of good things and has good tools.

The issue is he's prone to one mind-numbingly dumb turnover per game, if he can get those out of his system he'll be fine.

Not quite Subban level where he's top pair shutdown D, but he can be the 2nd best D on a team or 3rd best.

Sorry, am from Saint John and a pet peeve.

I see him rushing, coughing up puck and still getting back in time,which as Subban found out, cant be done vs pros without costing goals.

But as with Markov who started out as a forward and Habs turned him into d-man, defense can be taught/learned at a later stage and Subban has improved greatly over past 2 years, but the AHL year was needed and will be for Beaulieu as well.

Which is why, if he cant defend at AHL level, move him up front is one option (likely never come to that but). But with several defensive d-man also turning pro this year, should work out fine.

You are right that the giveaways/recovery thing is something that can't work in the pros where he wont have the huge speed advantage he has in junior.

As for defending though, I think he can defend. I find him generally to be pretty good defending against the rush, and shutting people down in his end of the ice. More than good enough to have a future at the position.

Beaulieu had a goal, a +2 rating, 4 PIMS, and was named 1st star as Saint John won Game 1 in double OT. According to the QMJHL statsheet, he also wore the C in yesterday's game which is odd considering he normally isn't listed as being one of the alternates.

Beaulieu had a goal, a +2 rating, 4 PIMS, and was named 1st star as Saint John won Game 1 in double OT.  According to the QMJHL statsheet, he also wore the C in yesterday's game which is odd considering he normally isn't listed as being one of the alternates.

I watched most of the game... flipping back and forth between Sportsnet and the Preds/Yotes. Saw all of the OTs, because the Preds was over. Beaulieu played great, such a good skater. His defensive game is really maturing and as talented as St. John is, he's the guy who gets it all started for them. I compare it to the Markov effect on our 2008 team. We scored the most goals in the NHL that year, and Kovalev had a great year, don't take anything away from him. But the plays almost always started with Markov. Thats what Beaulieu does for St. John everytime I see him. The C is also a very good sign. He wasn't an A normally but when Huberdeau got suspended they gave him the "C". Shows how much he has grown and matured this season, and that the coaches see him as a major leader on the team now. Scoring 45 seconds into your first game with the C helps too.

I watched most of the game... flipping back and forth between Sportsnet and the Preds/Yotes. Saw all of the OTs, because the Preds was over. Beaulieu played great, such a good skater. His defensive game is really maturing and as talented as St. John is, he's the guy who gets it all started for them. I compare it to the Markov effect on our 2008 team. We scored the most goals in the NHL that year, and Kovalev had a great year, don't take anything away from him. But the plays almost always started with Markov. Thats what Beaulieu does for St. John everytime I see him. The C is also a very good sign. He wasn't an A normally but when Huberdeau got suspended they gave him the "C". Shows how much he has grown and matured this season, and that the coaches see him as a major leader on the team now. Scoring 45 seconds into your first game with the C helps too.

He most probably will start the season at Hamilton, but we will see him in Mtl before long.

He most probably will start the season at Hamilton, but we will see him in Mtl before long.

Like Subban he might need a full season in Hamilton. But, I'm not worried about this kid at all... an absolute steal.

The Knights win Game 2 in Niagara (5-3) with an empty netter.  Tie up the series.  The OHL is using their weird flip the rink every game format instead of the standard 2-2-1-1-1.   So the Knights have regained their home ice advantage, by winning in niagara.

Tinordi was huge with a couple penalty kills in the last 15 minutes of the game and the Knights up 1 goal.

Like Subban he might need a full season in Hamilton. But, I'm not worried about this kid at all... an absolute steal.

IMO, defensively, he is less of a liability than Subban at the same age. I also believe that his skating is better, more fluid, more natural. Subban has more energy; he is like a wild mustang, unpredictable, explosive. Two very fine, highly skilled, young guns. I can't wait to see them together on our power play.

IMO, defensively, he is less of a liability than Subban at the same age. I also believe that his skating is better, more fluid, more natural. Subban has more energy; he is like a wild mustang, unpredictable, explosive. Two very fine, highly skilled, young guns. I can't wait to see them together on our power play.

I dont see Beaulieu's defense being any better at all and why he was used sparingly at world juniors.

Whereas Subban was solid at 2 world juniors.

it is the only aspect that has to be worked on in AHL next year for him, he has all the stuff you cant teach and learning to defend against Pros should be teachable, unless you are like MAB who was always great offensively but couldnt stop my grandmother one on one.

Hope for the best but have more reservations about Beaulieu than i do Tinordi, Ellis, Nash, St.Denis or Pateryn. Time will tell.

I dont see Beaulieu's defense being any better at all and why he was used sparingly at world juniors.

it is the only aspect that has to be worked on in AHL next year for him, he has all the stuff you cant teach and learning to defend against Pros should be teachable, unless you are like MAB who was always great offensively but couldnt stop my grandmother one on one.

Hope for the best but have more reservations about Beaulieu than i do Tinordi, Ellis, Nash, St.Denis or Pateryn. Time will tell.

That's the way you see it. Fine, but I beg to think differently, that's all.

Well this years defensive core is reallllly good and think of PK's first year. In 2008 he was the 7th d-man with limited ice time. Same as Beaulieu

Knights win 4-1 and take a 3-1 series lead.

Sea Dogs take 3-0 lead with a 6-4 win.

Looking good and look forward to seeing some of Hab prospects battle it out next week. I thought OHL final would be closer, but not over quite yet.

The WHL series will likely go 7 games.

It was quite interesting to see Henrik Samuellson get suspended for a nice cross check to head, apple didnt fall far from tree.

Pacioretty and his future Hab centerman Paul Stastny each had 3 points today.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker