Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

1 hour ago, Blazer said:

Suzuki and Mete shouldn't be considered prospects.  Possibly KK as well.  Just my opinion.

:nuts: Quick, ship that bum Brook for a 4th liner. He is probably a draft pick bust being so low on the totem pole :nuts:

image.png

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Cajones = big boxes

Cojones = https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cojón

So you don't think he has any big boxes?

I knew the difference ... it was a typo.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

just having fun with it on a slow day 

👌

Slow DAY ?

4 hours ago, Blazer said:

Suzuki and Mete shouldn't be considered prospects.  Possibly KK as well.  Just my opinion.

Based on 22 or younger and/or NHL experience limit, i think is based on.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Gordin 2a, seems too good for MHL. How soon will he get bumped up?

Gordin has played one game with St. Petersburg SKA ... but they are leading their division, 5th in overall points and 3rd in goals scored ... not certain if there is much urgency for them to get him in the line-up.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Gordin has played one game with St. Petersburg SKA ... but they are leading their division, 5th in overall points and 3rd in goals scored ... not certain if there is much urgency for them to get him in the line-up.

VHL 2nd highest league they say, he has played 6gms also. 2pts

http://www.vhlru.ru/en/players/30300/

Vejdemo 1a, on fire 3pts last 2 gms!

Poached from Pronman's top 155 under 23, The Athletic

(6 Habs; For what is worth; Guhle didnt make cut, but at least 8 kids picked after him this year made list.)

27. Nick Suzuki, C, Montreal

Aug. 10, 1999 | 5-foot-11 | 183 pounds

Tier: High-end NHL player

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 40
Hockey Sense: 65

Suzuki is a very creative playmaker with a ton of skill. He has a deceptive element with the puck to pull through and around defenders with ease, and despite not having great foot speed he is able to get around checkers because of how good his hands are. He’s an elite passer, showing great vision, pace and improvising ability with the puck. He can run an NHL power play off the flank because of his great vision. He can shoot the puck too, but it’s his playmaking that defines him. Suzuki’s size and skating have always been in question, and they might limit him from reaching the highest tiers of production, but as he showed last season, he can make a lot happen with what he has. He’s not physical but he does work hard.

33. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, Montreal

July 6, 2000 | 6-foot-2 | 194 pounds

Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 55
Hockey Sense: 60

After a tougher go in his second NHL season, Kotkaniemi had a solid showing in the postseason. I still see a lot to like. He’s a 6-foot-2 center with high-end skill and vision. He always has his head up looking to make a play. He’s a very creative passer who can hit the seams and improvise. He can make plays through defenders and has good one-on-one ability. He competes well enough, but the major transition for Kotkaniemi has been the speed of the NHL. His speed is average, and he can’t pull away from checks that well. He was still just a teenager, and I think with time and development he will become a great NHL player, and a potential first-line forward.

48. Alexander Romanov, D, Montreal

Jan. 6, 2000 | 5-foot-11 | 185 pounds

Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 45

Romanov’s boxcars don’t do justice to his talent. He is an excellent skater, with good speed and great edgework. He’s able to get up into attacks well, is great at eluding forechecks and closing on checks. He lands a lot of big hits even as a 5-foot-11 defender because of how quickly he closes his gaps. His skating and physicality project him to be a quality defender in the NHL. He’s not a flashy offensive player, who likely isn’t a top power-play type in the NHL, but Romanov is a very smart puck-mover. He makes a ton of great exits, with his head up all the time looking to create chances. His outlets and skating allow him to be impactful in transition.

49. Cole Caufield, RW, Montreal

Jan. 2, 2001 | 5-foot-7 | 163 pounds

Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 20
Shot: 70

Caufield’s talent level is obvious when he has the puck on his stick. He has extremely quick-twitch hands, showing the ability to manipulate the puck at a high level in terms of his one-on-one play, and he can create space for his shot. He’s an elite shooter, with the ability to pick corners from almost anywhere on the ice with his wrist shot. He didn’t show as much of a long-distance threat as I thought he would last season, but his mid-range shot is elite. Caufield is also an excellent passer who can make plays almost as well as he can finish them. The physical tools don’t jump off the page. He’s 5-foot-7, and while a very shifty skater, he’s not the elite speedster you’d like at that size. He competes well enough, but scouts have questions about his size and skating, and if his style will translate. I think it will but there may be some adjustments for him as he heads to higher levels.

143. Victor Mete, D, Montreal

June 7, 1998 | 5-foot-9 | 183 pounds

Tier: Very good NHL player

Skating: 65
Physical Game: 30

Mete has played three full NHL seasons where he’s been a modest-scoring defenseman playing third-pair minutes. His skating is clearly the best aspect of his game. His edgework, and especially his speed, are elite and allow him to push the pace when leading attacks up the ice. There isn’t a lot about his game that dazzles outside his skating. He’s a smart passer who makes good outlets and has some blue line creativity, but I don’t think his puck game wows and as a 5-foot-9 defender it’s hard to see him as a “tough matchups” type. I think there’s enough to his skill set that he could progress into a league-average defenseman but it would be nice to see his game take a big step soon.

154. Ryan Poehling, C, Montreal

Jan. 3, 1999 | 6-foot-2 | 185 pounds

Physical Game: 55

Poehling had a tough rookie pro season. He played a significant role in the AHL but struggled to score, and he didn’t make much of an impact in 27 NHL games. His strengths are his hockey sense and competitiveness. He makes a lot happen with his passing, both his ability to make plays on the move and from a standstill. He’s not that quick, but looks quicker than he is due to his effort. He can PK and play tougher minutes. I see flashes of speed and skill of higher grades than I’ve given him, but not consistently. His season does not reflect the grade I’m giving him of a projected good NHL player. I still give him a good projection because of the track record and what I’ve seen from him over the years but if he doesn’t have a better second pro season it will be tougher to stand by him as a potential second-line forward.

1 hour ago, DON said:

143. Victor Mete, D, Montreal

June 7, 1998 | 5-foot-9 | 183 pounds

Skating: 65
Physical Game: 30

Mete has played three full NHL seasons where he’s been a modest-scoring defenseman playing third-pair minutes. His skating is clearly the best aspect of his game. His edgework, and especially his speed, are elite and allow him to push the pace when leading attacks up the ice. There isn’t a lot about his game that dazzles outside his skating. He’s a smart passer who makes good outlets and has some blue line creativity, but I don’t think his puck game wows and as a 5-foot-9 defender it’s hard to see him as a “tough matchups” type. I think there’s enough to his skill set that he could progress into a league-average defenseman but it would be nice to see his game take a big step soon.

The two bolded elements certainly seem to contradict each other.  If the ceiling is a league-average defender, that's not a 'very good' NHL player.  That's an average player.

Yes Mete was surprising to see and noticed that.

But, he is still a young d-man, love his skating and maybe if given more PP time his offensive #s should look better. And he likely will end up as a 2nd pairing guy down the road (on Seattle perhaps).

0+0 for Kotkaniemi tonight in a 6-1 Assat loss to Lukko. Kotkaniemi was +0 with three SOG in 20:21 TOI.

0+0 for Ylonen tonight in a 7-2 win Pelicans win over HPK. Ylonen was +0 with five SOG in only 9:24 TOI. (Almost 20 minutes of PP/PK time and I don't believe he is playing on the special teams.)

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Hudon 2g 1a in "Swiss Ice Hockey Cup" play.

Vejdemo not in lineup, injured.

At 26, after 6 professional seasons, I am not certain that Hudon belongs in this thread ... but happy for him ... likely where he best fits

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

At 26, after 6 professional seasons, I am not certain that Hudon belongs in this thread ... but happy for him ... likely where he best fits

i know. and assume he is gone for good, but WTH.

1+1 for Leskinen tonight in a 3-2 KalPa win over TPS, both points on PP. +1 with five SOG and 20:33 TOI.

0+0 for Kotkaniemi tonight in a 3-2 Assat win over Sport; no score in SO. -1 with six SOG in 21:28 TOI.