Jump to content

Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker


Commandant
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wheelers top 50 prospects; https://theathletic.com/3415068/2022/07/25/nhl-prospects-rankings/

 

46. Lane Hutson, LHD, 18 (Montreal Canadiens — No. 62, 2022)

 

...He sees the ice as well as anyone on this list, regularly identifying plays a step ahead of the opposition. He reads opposing forwards better than any defenceman on this list, anticipating their movements and then exposing them. ..

...He’s got shakes and shimmies to spare, routinely making opposing defenders miss one-on-one in all three zones. He’s one of the most clever players in the draft sport....

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Biondi, Tuch, and Hutson have all been cut from Team USA's roster for the World Juniors.  Ty Smilanic, who was on the original team, wasn't at camp and won't play in the tournament.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Biondi, Tuch, and Hutson have all been cut from Team USA's roster for the World Juniors.  Ty Smilanic, who was on the original team, wasn't at camp and won't play in the tournament.

 

The remaining defencemen on Team USA are all 2020 (5) or 2021 (4) draftees.
 

I think the five 2020 draftees are ineligible for the 2023 WJHC, so Hutson has a decent chance of playing in Halifax/Moncton come Dec/Jan ... USA clearly not using August as 2023 prep.

 

There are (IMO) two interesting names amongst the remaining 15 forwards:

  • Hunter McKown, an undrafted  RHF (right-hand forward) who is entering his junior year at Colorado College

    and
     
  • Charlie Stramel, a 6' 3", 216 lb centre who seems to be an early Top 10 ranked prospect for next summer's draft
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Riley Kidney and Joshua Roy are officially on Team Canada for the WJCs.

I am keen to see how Roy (2021-22 QMJHL leading scorer, 4th in both goals and assists) and Kidney (1st in assists, 7th in scoring) do in the 2022 &2023 WJHCs and this coming QMJHL season, assuming neither make the Habs out of training camp (not impossible - nothing is - but hugely unlikely).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DON said:

The above (and below) is an encouraging article
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/top-25-under-25/2022/8/3/23283365/montreal-canadiens-2022-top-25-under-25-player-rankings-prospects-community-vote-ballot-submission

 

An exercise in ranking the youngsters... if bored.

Defencemen (16)

Player DOB Age Pos
Arvid Henrikson 1998-02-23 24.4 RD
Mattias Norlinder 2000-04-12 22.3 LD
Jordan Harris 2000-07-07 22.1 LD
Gianni Fairbrother 2000-09-30 21.8 LD
Arber Xhekaj 2001-01-30 21.5 LD
Jayden Struble 2001-09-08 20.9 LD
Justin Barron 2001-11-15 20.7 RD
Petteri Nurmi 2002-01-12 20.6 LD
Kaiden Guhle 2002-01-18 20.5 LD
Miguël Tourigny 2002-02-09 20.5 RD
Dmitri Kostenko 2002-09-25 19.9 RD
William Trudeau 2002-10-11 19.8 LD
Daniil Sobolev 2003-03-03 19.4 RD
Logan Mailloux 2003-04-15 19.3 RD
Adam Engström 2003-11-17 18.7 LD
Lane Hutson 2004-02-14 18.5 LD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DON said:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/top-25-under-25/2022/8/3/23283365/montreal-canadiens-2022-top-25-under-25-player-rankings-prospects-community-vote-ballot-submission

 

An exercise in ranking the youngsters... if bored.

Defencemen (16)

Player DOB Age Pos
Arvid Henrikson 1998-02-23 24.4 RD
Mattias Norlinder 2000-04-12 22.3 LD
Jordan Harris 2000-07-07 22.1 LD
Gianni Fairbrother 2000-09-30 21.8 LD
Arber Xhekaj 2001-01-30 21.5 LD
Jayden Struble 2001-09-08 20.9 LD
Justin Barron 2001-11-15 20.7 RD
Petteri Nurmi 2002-01-12 20.6 LD
Kaiden Guhle 2002-01-18 20.5 LD
Miguël Tourigny 2002-02-09 20.5 RD
Dmitri Kostenko 2002-09-25 19.9 RD
William Trudeau 2002-10-11 19.8 LD
Daniil Sobolev 2003-03-03 19.4 RD
Logan Mailloux 2003-04-15 19.3 RD
Adam Engström 2003-11-17 18.7 LD
Lane Hutson 2004-02-14 18.5 LD

 

I am bored, I'll bite:

  Player DOB Age Pos
1 Kaiden Guhle 2002-01-18 20.5 LD
2 Justin Barron 2001-11-15 20.7 RD
3 Logan Mailloux 2003-04-15 19.3 RD
4 Jordan Harris 2000-07-07 22.1 LD
5 Mattias Norlinder 2000-04-12 22.3 LD
6 Lane Hutson 2004-02-14 18.5 LD
7 Jayden Struble 2001-09-08 20.9 LD
8 Gianni Fairbrother 2000-09-30 21.8 LD
9 Arber Xhekaj 2001-01-30 21.5 LD
10 Adam Engström 2003-11-17 18.7 LD
11 Dmitri Kostenko 2002-09-25 19.9 RD
12 Petteri Nurmi 2002-01-12 20.6 LD
13 Miguël Tourigny 2002-02-09 20.5 RD
14 William Trudeau 2002-10-11 19.8 LD
15 Daniil Sobolev 2003-03-03 19.4 RD
16 Arvid Henrikson 1998-02-23 24.4 RD

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alfredo, looking at your ranking, would you say the top four (Guhle through Harris) are likely to become NHL regulars, and the others less than likely? Or how would you rate their chances?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Alfredo, looking at your ranking, would you say the top four (Guhle through Harris) are likely to become NHL regulars, and the others less than likely? Or how would you rate their chances?

I would say;

#1 is a given.

#4 also should be solid all round d-man, would say 2nd pairing maybe.

Other 2 not so sure. Same chance being anything more than 3rd pairing (#5,6,7) guys, 50-50.

 

just my uneducated wildass guesses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, DON said:

I would say;

#1 is a given.

#4 also should be solid all round d-man, would say 2nd pairing maybe.

Other 2 not so sure. Same chance being anything more than 3rd pairing (#5,6,7) guys, 50-50.

 

just my uneducated wildass guesses.


In the short time that we watched Harris, I agree that he looks like a solid second pairing guy. 
 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns out good enough for top pairing either. 
 

Small sample size but he looked really good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Alfredo, looking at your ranking, would you say the top four (Guhle through Harris) are likely to become NHL regulars, and the others less than likely? Or how would you rate their chances?

 

I do not know if they will become NHLers for sure. I am no expert, but based on what I have read and the little that I've seen them play: yes.

I ranked them based on where they were picked and any reports on their progress. If I remember correctly: Trudeau is slow, Henrikson is a bust, Sobolev is not impressing, Tourigny is a long shot, Nurmi is a late, late pick, Kostenko is a late pick by the old regime that was a gamble at the time, Norlinder vs Hutson? Strubble is an intriguing prospect

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

 

How much have you seen Struble play?  Admittedly I have only only seen a few highlights so I don't have a strong opinion one way or another. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Struble is RAW.

 

He's got all the skills but the kid needs development time. He's super athletic, but the toolbox doesn't fit the tools right now.  He's still young though and I hope the Habs can refine that once he gets to the AHL,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

https://habsprospects.com/

August 6 games

Czechia U20 6 Austria U20 3 (Final) - WJC Pre-tournament

Jan Mysak - one goal

August 5 games

United States U20 2 Finland U20 5 (Final) - WJC Pre-tournament

Oliver Kapanen - no points
Petteri Nurmi - no points

August 4 games

Finland U20 2 Sweden U20 1 (Final OT) - WJC Pre-tournament

Oliver Kapanen - no points
Petteri Nurmi - no points

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Joshua Roy was on the top line at practice for Canada today.  That surprises me.  Kidney is on the fifth line.  That one doesn't surprise me.

 

 

 

It will be interesting to see how the lines settle out over the next couple of days ... I hope Roy, and Kidney, end up getting decent ice time ... but with a short camp there is a mix&match phase looking to see who has chemistry ... just trying not to get too excited.

🤞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heineman is Habs or SHL, no Laval.

 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/8/8/23297195/report-leksand-preparing-for-life-with-emil-heineman-montreal-canadiens-habs-laval-rocket-cba

 

 

All games are at Eastern time

August 9 games

Czechia U20 vs Slovakia U20 2:00 pm - WJC Preliminary Round - Watch on TSN1/4, RDS or NHLN-US

Jan Mysak -

Latvia U20 vs Finland U20 6:00 pm - WJC Preliminary Round - Watch on TSN1, RDS or NHLN-US

Oliver Kapanen -
Petteri Nurmi -

 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/world-juniors/2022/8/9/23298029/2022-world-junior-hockey-championship-group-b-preview-rosters-sweden-united-states-germany-wjc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...