Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

3 hours ago, DON said:

0pts -3 in final for Davidson, oh well.

How will his game transfer to Laval in the fall?

His line was alright in that game, Seattle just couldn't get anything going against a Quebec team that played quite well.

I expect he'll have a limited role in Laval to start next season, centring one of the bottom two lines.  He's the type of player they'll go easy on at first and as he gets his feet wet, he'll start getting a bigger role.

• Like 1

Habs need some Swedes.

The 2022 third-round pick turned 19 in November, though it’s worth pointing out he initially earned a job on Rogle’s top defensive pairing as an 18-year-old, a rather impressive feat given how rarely teenage defencemen are given roster spots in Sweden.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/06/07/canadiens-prospect-review-adam-engstrom-shines-in-sweden-habs-prospects-rogle-montreal-canadiens-analysis-prospect-highlights-laval/

Laval could have quite an interesting lineup to watch this coming season.

https://thehockeywriters.com/montreal-canadiens-prospect-review-jared-davidson-2023/

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/06/11/canadiens-prospect-review-joshua-roys-impressive-evolution-habs-prospects-highlights-canada-montreal-canadiens-players/

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/06/10/montreal-canadiens-prospect-review-riley-kidneys-encouraging-season-habs-rpsoepc/

If they draft the Austrian kid, would he be Laval bound?

I would think his shorter timeframe to NA pro hockey vs a Michkovs', has to play a factor in draft, no?

5. Montreal Canadiens: David Reinbacher, RD, Kloten (NL)
Montreal holds the first true wild-card pick here because I could realistically see them going for Dalibor Dvorsky, David Reinbacher, Ryan Leonard, or Michkov with this pick. In the end, I have them adding the top defender of the class in Reinbacher, a mature, two-way defender who is very highly thought of by a great number of NHL teams. He could likely play in the NHL as soon as next season, though another year of pro hockey in Europe or the AHL would do him good.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2023-nhl-two-round-mock-draft/

3 hours ago, DON said:

If they draft the Austrian kid, would he be Laval bound?

I would think his shorter timeframe to NA pro hockey vs a Michkovs', has to play a factor in draft, no?

I think he has another year left in his schooling in Switzerland and would probably play in the NLA again next season before going to North America.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW - if these are posting properly thanks to anything done by HabsWorld, many thanks ... if it is something Twitter did, WTF did idiot Elon do in the first place?

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

BTW - if these are posting properly thanks to anything done by HabsWorld, many thanks ... if it is something Twitter did, WTF did idiot Elon do in the first place?

I have to say, I'm not thrilled with this news.  Rohrer wasn't exactly lighting it up in junior and now he's going to a program where he'll play a lot less.

As for the embed issue, we ran some updates on our end a few days ago but I think this was more of a Twitter issue than ours specifically.  No way to know for sure though.

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I have to say, I'm not thrilled with this news.  Rohrer wasn't exactly lighting it up in junior and now he's going to a program where he'll play a lot less.

As for the embed issue, we ran some updates on our end a few days ago but I think this was more of a Twitter issue than ours specifically.  No way to know for sure though.

Whatever the case, I prefer to give you credit and blame Elon
😃

Some relevant info on Rohrer, this changes his sign-by date.  It's the same clause that allows Vrbetic to stay as a Montreal prospect for now.  From the CBA [8.6(b)(ii)]:

If a Player who is drafted as an 18-year-old ceases to play in the Juniors in the second League Year after he has been drafted and the Club has tendered to such Player a Bona Fide Offer pursuant to 8.6(a)(ii), his drafting Club shall have the exclusive right of negotiation for his services until the fourth June 1 following his initial selection in the Entry Draft.

He was drafted at 18 and next year will be the second league year since being picked.  Accordingly, this adds two years to the signing timeline so there's the silver lining in this.  Instead of being part of the cluster of players that needed to sign by next June, they can drag this out a little longer.  The downside is that he's going to get half the ice time he would have had he stayed in the OHL.

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Some relevant info on Rohrer, this changes his sign-by date.  It's the same clause that allows Vrbetic to stay as a Montreal prospect for now.  From the CBA [8.6(b)(ii)]:

He was drafted at 18 and next year will be the second league year since being picked.  Accordingly, this adds two years to the signing timeline so there's the silver lining in this.  Instead of being part of the cluster of players that needed to sign by next June, they can drag this out a little longer.  The downside is that he's going to get half the ice time he would have had he stayed in the OHL.

I suspect he didn't see an NHL future and decided to start getting paid ... but that is just a guess.

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I suspect he didn't see an NHL future and decided to start getting paid ... but that is just a guess.

That'd be a premature assumption, I think he's still very much a legitimate NHL prospect. 

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

So … June 2026 deadline? 

On 6/25/2023 at 12:34 PM, dlbalr said:

That'd be a premature assumption, I think he's still very much a legitimate NHL prospect. 

Why did he do this, has he or Habs said anything?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Why did he do this, has he or Habs said anything?

Just my speculation but...

He's gonna get paid real money, instead of what he gets in the OHL. 

He's a lot closer to home while doing it. 

42 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Just my speculation but...

He's gonna get paid real money, instead of what he gets in the OHL. 

He's a lot closer to home while doing it. 

OK.

Not sure if is worse off hockey-wise is he? Swiss league is 'pretty good' i think?

https://awinninghabit.com/2023/06/25/montreal-canadiens-prospect-vinzenz-rohrer-leaves-ohl-switzerland/

Swiss league allows the most foreigners of any of the European leagues (especially older former AHLers and former NHL journeymen).  This makes it in competition with Sweden for the second best league in Europe after the KHL.

Its just a league we don't hear a lot about cause its very hard for a kid to get ice time. You see more prospects come out of Finland/Sweden but the NLA is every bit as good if not better.. So that's my biggest fear for Rohrer hockey-wise, is that he ends up as a little used fourth liner or 13th forward. 

• Like 1

For a 4th round small d-man with not strong defense, maybe longer timeline is best anyways?

Pronman:

"He’s a highly mobile defenseman with good skill and puck-moving ability. Konyushkov is a small defenseman though. He’s listed at 5-foot-11 but looks a lot smaller on the ice and whether he can defend in the NHL is a question."

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, DON said:

Their "headline" is misleading as the point of the article is that Habs fans have overlooked him ... will be interesting to see how he does at camp.

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Their "headline" is misleading as the point of the article is that Habs fans have overlooked him ... will be interesting to see how he does at camp.

I liked this pick when he was drafted and although he has not "burned the league" where he has been playing, he has shown good potential at the world juniors.

I am hopeful he becomes similar to a healthy Evans, minus the concussions

53 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I liked this pick when he was drafted and although he has not "burned the league" where he has been playing, he has shown good potential at the world juniors.

I am hopeful he becomes similar to a healthy Evans, minus the concussions

I'm hoping for a bit more offence than Evans (8.8g/82gms) ... but otherwise agree.