Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Hugh Jessiman was a guy who seemed to come out of nowhere in Dartmouth which let him get drafted high (12th overall, 2003). His second season wasn't better than his first and then got injured to miss his third season. He then tried going pro after and while point per game in the ECHL, was a half point player in the AHL.

Mike McCarron is a bit different. He worked his way up by being an underager on U16 and U18 teams and playing respectably. Scouts knew who he was. Like Jessiman he took an injury in year three but it wasn't season ending. Jessiman also tried to jump from ECAC to AHL whereas McCarron is developing in the OHL. His first half was poor but since moving to center his work ethic is starting to produce results.

No two players are the same but I'm sure a lot of Habs fans think Jessiman when they saw the McCarron drafting. McCarron will be in London next year, even if he does some huge developing in the playoffs. That's where we will see him maybe even at center in their top six. It's that season where we see if he can handle added responsibility as an overager. Knights fans are already slotting him on the second line at center without certainty of who gets first line minutes. He could be on the top line with the right start. If he stays healthy, we'll have a much better idea of what Mike McCarron will be.

After that, he likely won't be NHL bound. He'll be AHL bound. I'm betting Bergevin shows tight patience with him. After a year in the AHL it'll be a question of whether he needs another or if he can contribute in the bottom six in 2016-2017.

And even if he doesn't become much of an offensive player in the NHL? Hopefully we still see some of this:

frsLYw.gif

I was against picking him then and still feel the same, but I hope i am wrong.

But, he did stand out last year at U18s.

Which again will showcase draft kids very shortly and several more USA guys I think would be nice prospects; Jack Glover, Alex Tuch (McCarron II), Sonny Milano or Jack Dougherty. I think Glover may fall in that 20-30th range where Timmins will need to pick from and a big physical defensive d-man would be a nice addition to the system.

he's at 4 points in 6 playoff games.

Is that really much better than his regular season.... slightly over 0.5 PPG? or is it just a small sample size and 4 games against a weak opponent in Windsor who had major defensive issues. London was scoring 6-10 goals a night and he'd get one point.

I'm still not convinced on him.

Most (even third/fourth line) NHLers are at a PPG in junior in the season after they are drafted.... Almost all top 6 guys are at 1.2 PPG in that season. McCarron isn't getting half of that.

He's huge, he has a bigger size advantage now, against teens, than he'll ever have in his pro career, and is doing nothing.

His numbers are worse than Tyler Biggs... ask leaf fans how Tyler Biggs (a USNTDP player with the exact same profile as McCarron) is working out in the AHL.

Alex Tuch is good.... He is what McCarron should be. I wouldn't be against taking Tuch who has the hands to actually score.

Alex Tuch is good.... He is what McCarron should be. I wouldn't be against taking Tuch who has the hands to actually score.

Sounds like an Ethan Werek clone ;)

Also Tyler Biggs is turning 21 this month so using him as a golden example of a bust is a bit premature. Also he was playing in the CCHA in his first year after drafting. He played in the OHL in his second year after being drafted. McCarron is playing in the OHL in his first year after being drafted. Different areas of development.

Also Tyler Biggs is turning 21 this month so using him as a golden example of a bust is a bit premature. Also he was playing in the CCHA in his first year after drafting. He played in the OHL in his second year after being drafted. McCarron is playing in the OHL in his first year after being drafted. Different areas of development.

He is a leaf 1st rounder, so he sucks (or will go with that) and will be flipping burgers in couple years we can all hope.

A Burke truculance flop!

Tyler Biggs has already been told by Steve Spott, Marlies head coach, to develop his physical and defensive game because if he ever wants to make the NHL its as a fourth liner.

Still go back through the thread..... With the exception of 3 players.... every player drafted since 1997, who played in the CHL post-draft and goes on to scored 60 points or 30 goals in the NHL is at 1.2 PPG in their post draft year. The three exceptions.... Jeff Carter (1.15 PPG), Milan Lucic (0.9 PPG), James Neal (0.9 PPG).

If you look at third and fourth liners.... if we throw out the John Scotts, and the Colton Orrs... almost everyone who plays in the CHL is at 1.0 PPG in their post draft year. Even Max Lapierre, Ryan White, Gabriel Dumont, Ben Maxwell, Kyle Chipchura, Brandon Prust, Travis Moen, Daniel Paille, etc....

all these guys are go-to scorers for the junior teams at the age of 18.

Michael McCarron is barely over 0.5 (and is now at 0.5 in the playoffs).

I hope he can defy the odds.... but the fact is that the odds are long. There is almost no forwards who become productive and useful NHL players and who showed that low a level of scoring in the CHL at 18. I haven't found one yet, and I've looked back almost 15 years of drafts.

If you have the skills to go pro, you should be dominating junior.

Add to this the fact that McCarron's biggest asset is his size. And the fact he is 6'5 and 240 lbs already, he is literally a man amongst boys in junior. His size advantage will never be as big as it is right now. He's playing third line and facing 16 and 17 year olds who are small and need to put on weight, and with his size he's not dominating them?? How is he going to do in the AHL and NHL against defencemen who have a lot more size, and while they still may not be as big as him, they will be a lot closer than these juniors.

It's only fair to compare him to players who never played in the CHL until post-draft. Otherwise it's an unfair comparison. Compare him to Louis Leblanc if you'd like but even then I believe Louis played in college an extra year before going to the Q.

There are tons of those, and no forward who made an NHL impact scored as low as McCarron. Again None.

The USNTDP is a very good program. They play ~90 games a year against top competition (International Tourneys, Exhibition games vs College Teams, and USHL regular season games). The level of competition and length of schedule isn't a huge difference between the NTDP and CHL. He played two years for the NTDP.

Hudon with 6th and 1a, now 12points

Reway 1a for 15pts

Gregoire 1a for 10pts

and Nevins shutout yesterday, 8pts.

Nevins assigned to Hamilton.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/10/jack-nevins-assigned-hamilton-bulldogs/

ol #32 was no sniper in junior.

McCarron will pass his ppg for sure

Travis Moen played for the Kelowna Rockets in the Western Hockey League (WHL) for five years, from 1998 to 2003. Moen played in 181 games for the Rockets, scoring a total of 27 goals, 31 assists and 58 points with 399 penalty minutes

Even though he's signed already for next year, this is a big tryout for him. He's a player that could very well be ECHL-bound but a decent stint in the final few games might help his chances.

He Tarnasty and Crisp as energy line. :flaming:

- Tonight's FNH matchup on Sportsnet is Halifax (Fucale) vs Gatineau (Reway). Puck drop is at 7 on SNET 1.

- Last night, McCarron had a helper in a 6-3 loss to Guelph, he has 5 points in 8 playoff games with a +5 rating. At the very least, he isn't tailing off.

- Mark MacMillan's team lost a last-second heartbreaker in the semis of the Frozen Four, ending his season.

- Apparently Jacob de la Rose was in Montreal for the game last night. If true, perhaps we'll be hearing about a contract before long with a PTO to get in a couple of games with Hamilton.

Reway loses to Fucale which ends that series. Reway was pointless tonight but was 1-3-4 in 5 games which isn't too shabby. Fucale posted a GAA of 2.00 and a .925 SV% in the series. I wonder if the Habs will send Reway to get a couple of games in Hamilton before he (likely) heads off to training camp for Slovakia's entry into the World Championships.

McCarron's Knights were also ousted. He had a roughing penalty and a +1 rating in the loss.

Reway loses to Fucale which ends that series. Reway was pointless tonight but was 1-3-4 in 5 games which isn't too shabby. Fucale posted a GAA of 2.00 and a .925 SV% in the series. I wonder if the Habs will send Reway to get a couple of games in Hamilton before he (likely) heads off to training camp for Slovakia's entry into the World Championships.

McCarron's Knights were also ousted. He had a roughing penalty and a +1 rating in the loss.

Reway tweeted, all pumped that he officially will be at Slovakian camp for Worlds'. He is a shifty player, but still seems coastin/floating a lot without puck (in the few shifts I saw).

Where will de la Rose likely play in the fall? Windsor or Hamilton?

With his size, he likely could handle AHL couldn't he? Although a year in CHL is likely smarter route?

Halifax loses 5-2 (there was an empty netter), not a great night for Fucale. He's allowed to have the odd off game though. Baie-Comeau and Blainville-Boisbriand (can we just call them BC and BB?) are scoreless towards the end of the 2nd.

Halifax loses 5-2 (there was an empty netter), not a great night for Fucale. He's allowed to have the odd off game though. Baie-Comeau and Blainville-Boisbriand (can we just call them BC and BB?) are scoreless towards the end of the 2nd.

1-0 BC near end of 3rd. Hudon/Gregoire shut out so far

Holy Crap, Fucale is crapping the bed, he gave up 3 goals on 4 shots and pulled after 3minutes. He is simply terrible this series.

Hudon & Gregoire shut down in game, but Gregoire manages to be 2nd star of game (with zero points in game).

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker