Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

too bad,

well, London on again today and Nygren is on TSN vs Canada.

Maybe 2 kids who will never put on Hab jersey for reg season game?

McCarron was awful today.

Totally invisible for the first 56 minutes of the game.

Then with 4 minutes left, London pressing and getting a ton of good chances, and down two goals. McCarron sucker punches a guy for absolutely no reason, takes a two minute penalty and kills any chance of a comeback.

MEATHEAD

McCarron was awful today.

Totally invisible for the first 56 minutes of the game.

Then with 4 minutes left, London pressing and getting a ton of good chances, and down two goals. McCarron sucker punches a guy for absolutely no reason, takes a two minute penalty and kills any chance of a comeback.

MEATHEAD

Not sure awful and when he was on, puck was in Edmonton end most of time.

But, agree on smacking Moroz was just dumb and I don't understand Hunter why he put McCarron on after that penalty?

How many scoring chances did he get (or set up for a teammate) in the entire game? I counted one, the one immediately before he punched Moroz in the head.

He looks like Moen.... an OHL version of Moen..... thats not good, and doesn't bode well for the future as even NHL fourth liners should look like scorers in the OHL post-draft.

Either way if he becomes a 3rd line RW who hits, goes to the net, and can win some fights that will be good.

Just he shouldnt of been taken before Fucale/de la Rose etc.

Crisp already is looking to be a better goon option.

But, still need to wait and see how McCarron looks next year.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't drafted to be a goal scorer.

I'm Thinking MB hopes he turns into a Bickell

Two things....

1) With the differences in pay grade between 1st/2nd liners and grinders..., the advantages of an ELC.... the number of first line wingers available in free agency.... and the number of grinders available in free agency. You should never, NEVER, draft a guy who you think has the ceiling of a third liner in the first round. There are plenty of third line potential guys in the third, fourth, fifth round and later.... and in free agency. Its a bad use of your first round pick in a cap system.

My first and second round picks would always be potential top 6 forwards, or potential top 4 defencemen or potential #1 goalies.

2) Look at the junior stats of third and fourth line NHLers. Most were at a PPG or close to it in the years post draft in junior hockey.

Bickell your example....

71 points in 87 games at 18

93 points in 74 games at 19

McCarron

39 points in 77 games at 18

Anyone watching today's game?

Anyone who is want to tell me how McCarron got drafted ahead of Jason Dickinson from Guelph (6'3" centre).

Anyone??

I had Dickinson at 37 last year.... McCarron at 60

de la Rose would of been fine 1st pick/Fucale/Lehkonen also am good with.

But just so many I would of taken before Big Mike, like Santini/McCoshen/Compher.

Still wonder why Hudson Fasching lasted 118th? And even he looks a smarter choice than McCarron?

But, Timmins deserves benefit of doubt and maybe he will surprise, train hard in offseason and do much better next year?

Anyone watching today's game?

Anyone who is want to tell me how McCarron got drafted ahead of Jason Dickinson from Guelph (6'3" centre).

Anyone??

I had Dickinson at 37 last year.... McCarron at 60

Dickinson isn't very bright. Failed a lot of mental tests for scouts. Played a lot like Rychel in games. Didn't goto the net enough.

Yikes

Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 4h
Never been less impressed with 1st-rounder at MemCup than I was with #Habs McCarron. Huge but no motor, zero skill, blockhead goonery

Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 4h
Forget about the next level, the way he played I'm not sure McCarron's even a third-liner in the CHL. Brutal pick.

Yikes Part 2

http://prospects.dobbersports.com/index.php/component/content/article/24-rambling/5227-rossyyoungbloods-brutally-honest-memorialcup-ramblings

"Michael McCarron (Canadiens) continues to show very limited hockey sense and falling into habits that would irritate any coach. He has perfected the play where he comes down the wing and fires a wrist shot from the top of the circle, hoping to cash in on the 1 in 1, 000, 000 chance that the puck goes in."

Fortunately he still has time left to turn things around since players typically don't peak at age 19. Obviously his ceiling is looking lower than many had hoped when he was picked but I'm confident he'll have a better year in 2014-15 - he should be more than a 3rd liner in junior at the very least. (I wonder if he'll get that chance in London or if he'll be dealt though...)

Fortunately he still has time left to turn things around since players typically don't peak at age 19. Obviously his ceiling is looking lower than many had hoped when he was picked but I'm confident he'll have a better year in 2014-15 - he should be more than a 3rd liner in junior at the very least. (I wonder if he'll get that chance in London or if he'll be dealt though...)

To Barrie?

Again, I know Commandant has shown at this stage he is looking like long long shot to be better than a Shelley, but if he can improve skating and train hard, who knows if he may be a Prust/Moan? And could Timmins been that 'out to lunch' or was this a Bergevin 'culture change' forced pick?

But, on other hand, Crisp seemed to play well in very short stint with Dogs, so maybe he will help fill a grit role and not be another Tim Conboy/Ian Shultz (/Nevins most likely).

I'd be thrilled if he went to Barrie - I think the last time that Montreal had a prospect on the Colts was Tyler Hanchuck...and they never signed him. If London decides to retool since they'll be losing a lot of players, McCarron and his size would be an intriguing pickup for some teams. Could he do for another OHL team what Crisp did upon getting dealt to Sudbury? If they think yes, the Knights could get a good return for him.

To Barrie?

Again, I know Commandant has shown at this stage he is looking like long long shot to be better than a Shelley, but if he can improve skating and train hard, who knows if he may be a Prust/Moan? And could Timmins been that 'out to lunch' or was this a Bergevin 'culture change' forced pick?

But, on other hand, Crisp seemed to play well in very short stint with Dogs, so maybe he will help fill a grit role and not be another Tim Conboy/Ian Shultz (/Nevins most likely).

Would you trade a first round pick for a prust/moen? Thats the biggest problem with this pick.

That was always his ceiling...

Would you trade a first round pick for a prust/moen? Thats the biggest problem with this pick.

That was always his ceiling...

But, that draft is history and if you forget McCarron was 1st pick, you just consider de la Rose was 1st pick, Fucale and then McCarron, is that easier to stomach?

All I mean is that, if he is a bust so be it, till he gets cut by Wheeling I will hope he develops into something useful and he is awful young to write off.

I was not a fan of the pick, despite my passion for size in the top portion of the lineup. McCarron may get there, I don't know. I am not counting against it.. What i do have confidence in is MB, who is in the running for the GM of the year. You can't be discouraged at this stage without taking the full account of where he has taken this team. The McCarron pick will play itself out, but for me it is plenty early to jump overboard.

Well, just got till Sunday to sign Thrower & Vail!

Are neither getting done and will walk?

Or is Bergevin just making em sweat?

Or will Hab playoff outcome play a role in whether they will be resigning Gionta and other Hab FAs?

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker