Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Is very easy to say he is so good is a chance will make team and most like to project kids based on play vs other teenagers, but even top picks like say a Max Domi, or Sam Reinhart simply find transition a lot to overcome.

They tend to be underpowered (even a Tinordi got pushed around by medium sized NHLers) or not have confidence to succeed with reduced minutes and not being the go to guy, as they were in junior.

But, when you hear Timmins commenting that Scherbak looked good in his first Hab camp and quickly seemed to gel with Galchenyuk, is darn tantalizing to keep fingers crossed, hope a roster spot will be available next fall and he gets in the Calder trophy running.

I thought Sekac would (should) start in AHL and appears he is doing fine, but I would guess KHL experience must be a factor.

I think odds still darn low Scherbak can make it out of camp and fully expect him to start in Hamilton.

Timmins also said Scherbak grew a lot this past year, which he said "makes him seem bit like Bambi on ice"; but seems to be adjusting fine and who knows if he does that again next summer, adds strength/ speed he could be hard to handle for sure.

I think odds still darn low Scherbak can make it out of camp and fully expect him to start in Hamilton.

I'm thinking the same way. Out of Montreal's healthy top-9, there are no pending UFA's. There could be one spot up for grabs if they don't want one of Bournival/Prust/Weise in that role but Scherbak would have to contend with any UFA signing or trade acquisition for that spot as well as Andrighetto and Hudon. It's not impossible by any stretch but right now, the odds would be low for him to make the team out of camp.

Good prospect news: McCarron has exceeded his goal scoring total from last year in 45 fewer games.

Bad prospect news: Daniel Audette will be suspended for two games for hair pulling.

TV alert - MacMillan and Didier can be seen on TSN2 tonight at 9:30. (Yes, TSN is now showing the odd college hockey game.)

• Upvote 1

No sense rushing Scherbak.

He'd also have to be so explosive offensively he leapfrogs Andrighetto, Hudon, DLR and McCarron. Otherwise, all available spots are for those four to fight over.

After the 2015/2016 season you got Plekanec, Parenteau, Prust and Weise as UFAs. That's a more likely time for spots to become open for the young guys. Though I could totally see the Habs trying McCarron out as a fourth line center next year.

However plays out, Nikita is a huge hit with TSNmedia, Habland and is key star for Everett to be where they are in the standings. He is so personable,confident and skilled, can he be a similar player to a Galchenyuk or Sekac?

Only time will tell of course and I do have better feeling about him than Bozon, or Audette and maybe even Lehkonen and much better than Big Mikey.

(But just how good will Hudon be is bigger question I have right now.)

Big Mike gets 1g 2a and keeps doing very well.

16g 32pts in 22 games.

Bozon with 2a on PP and 1st star of game

Lernout 1a on PP and dropped the gloves, first fight since mid-Oct and opponent took instigator in this one, so he has been on his best behaviour for long time.

Scherbak sick (seems to be common across hockey these days?)

Big Mike gets 1g 2a and keeps doing very well.

16g 32pts in 22 games.

Bozon with 2a on PP and 1st star of game

Lernout 1a on PP and dropped the gloves, first fight since mid-Oct and opponent took instigator in this one, so he has been on his best behaviour for long time.

Scherbak sick (seems to be common across hockey these days?)

McCarron is really coming along. BTW I have read a few times in different articles lately that he is 6'6. At his age he is 225, but with a few years of training and maturing ahead of him, it would not be a surprise if he becomes a 240 lbs mountain of hard muscles. The Habs never had such a "project" among their prospects.
  • Upvote 1

Actually Latendress showed up like 240lbs didn't he and Gainey wasn't real impressed with conditioning.

McCarron has lost weight this year due to be being in better shape and bigs kids in junior sometimes drop weight to get a touch quicker as a pro, but who knows what his size will be in 3-4 years?

Totally dependant on training program/diet he does in off-seasons.

(Bertuzzi used to play great at much heavier weight than he was later in career)

But yes, Mikey is one big SOB no matter how you cut it.

Actually Latendress showed up like 240lbs didn't he and Gainey wasn't real impressed with conditioning.

McCarron has lost weight this year due to be being in better shape and bigs kids in junior sometimes drop weight to get a touch quicker as a pro, but who knows what his size will be in 3-4 years?

Totally dependant on training program/diet he does in off-seasons.

(Bertuzzi used to play great at much heavier weight than he was later in career)

But yes, Mikey is one big SOB no matter how you cut it.

Like you say, nobody knows how he will develop. But it sure is fun to see him improving so much this season. And you are absolutely right, he is "one big SOB no matter how you cut it". LOL

And the big fellow gets his 17th goal (in 23 games) today, without rat-boy's kid (Domi) at his side, nice.

If you watch a lot of McCarron's goals they are made by his linemates carrying the puck long enough for Mike to rev up his engines and break loose. He has some phenomenal top speed.

As for his weight, a lot of guys will bulk up to get heavier but it's not refined. Mike will probably get his weight back up but it'll be by gaining 8-10lbs per off season of muscle. Tinordi has been doing the same. I think in his first call up he was around 218 and now he's 225. He'll be 232 next year and 240 the next. I think Tinordi was a prospect at 225 and cut down. Chara never started at 255. He eventually built up to that.

Tinordi is slim and not naturally big/thick ( as truculent) as his father was.

McCarron seems to be naturally bigger and likely easier to pack on weight than say Tinordi.

But both are 2 big dudes and just hope both have the foot speed/quickness to cut it in NHL, which tends to be biggest issue with X-large humans.

If you watch a lot of McCarron's goals they are made by his linemates carrying the puck long enough for Mike to rev up his engines and break loose. He has some phenomenal top speed.

As for his weight, a lot of guys will bulk up to get heavier but it's not refined. Mike will probably get his weight back up but it'll be by gaining 8-10lbs per off season of muscle. Tinordi has been doing the same. I think in his first call up he was around 218 and now he's 225. He'll be 232 next year and 240 the next. I think Tinordi was a prospect at 225 and cut down. Chara never started at 255. He eventually built up to that.

Imteresting comment. I also believe that both players will benefit enormously (!) after a few years of off-season training. What's good in their case is that both are already very decent skaters. Decision making and the ability to do it quickly is what they have to learn. It will take time, probably a bit more for Tinordi because playing defense is more demanding than offense, but they should come along just fine with good tutoring and patience.

• Upvote 1

Agree 99%, not sure "should come along just fine", as far as being a regular effective NHLer, only time will tell.

But got better feeling that Tinordi will do fine at least.

Would be a bonus if Hudon, Scherbak, Andrighetto, Tinordi, McCarron all make it, but odds are will be lucky if one or two of them amount to much.

Agree 99%, not sure "should come along just fine", as far as being a regular effective NHLer, only time will tell.

But got better feeling that Tinordi will do fine at least.

Would be a bonus if Hudon, Scherbak, Andrighetto, Tinordi, McCarron all make it, but odds are will be lucky if one or two of them amount to much.

IMO, from what I have seen so far, Scherbak is as close to a no-brainer as it comes. On the other hand, we all know that there is no such thing as a no-brainer in the making of a NHL player. ;-)

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker