Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Nice to hear Reway complimenting and congratulating his old coach and using "us" when describing Slovak success.

Empty netters and all he seemed a pretty good captain for them.

I keep thinking of Nattinen or Engqvist when I see de la Rose play. But he must be a bit better all round I guess (hope).

Nice to hear Reway complimenting and congratulating his old coach and using "us" when describing Slovak success.

Empty netters and all he seemed a pretty good captain for them.

I keep thinking of Nattinen or Engqvist when I see de la Rose play. But he must be a bit better all round I guess (hope).

He is more talented IMO. But 3rd or 4th line duty is probably his future in the NHL.

Yes and I thought exact same thing about Nattinen/Engqvist.

Oh well, he got 3 games in 3 days this weekend for Hamilton and hasn't looked out of place in AHL, which is super for a teenager.

Gregoire (2g) & Scherbak (1g) were 2nd stars of their games, Gregoire is 'C' of Baie-Comeau this year.

Koberstein traded today in USHL- Sioux Falls to Bloomington Thunder

People have been grumbling that Koberstein is already a bust. Firstly, i think it's quite premature to state that for a 5th round pick a few months after the draft. Secondly, the trade news stated that in addition to his 1 goal, he's a +11 which puts him in the top 25 in the league. I don't understand how people are worrying about this kid when looking at his stat line - especially if he's to be in the Josiah Didier mold and be a defense-first player.

People have been grumbling that Koberstein is already a bust. Firstly, i think it's quite premature to state that for a 5th round pick a few months after the draft. Secondly, the trade news stated that in addition to his 1 goal, he's a +11 which puts him in the top 25 in the league. I don't understand how people are worrying about this kid when looking at his stat line - especially if he's to be in the Josiah Didier mold and be a defense-first player.

Yes, it's way too premature. I was hoping he'd bring a little bit more offensively to the table though but that hasn't materialized yet. He's a long-term project so right now, my biggest hope is that he gets regular, consistent ice time. That's what those project-type players need no matter what and by all accounts, that has been the case so far.

Really, who is claiming he is bust? He was long shot to make pros to begin with.

But agree with what you say.

I was at the Oshawa vs. Kingston game last night and McCarron got a fair bit of ice-time. No points, but he threw a few big hits and fought (pretty much a draw, but the Frontenac got the take-down). He was lining up at center for the majority of the game and did quite well on the draw. I wasn't sure if that was a new development, as I thought he was a winger. I wasn't blown away by his potential... but there is some potential there. He reminded me of a bigger Dale Weise, with a higher ceiling.

I was at the Oshawa vs. Kingston game last night and McCarron got a fair bit of ice-time. No points, but he threw a few big hits and fought (pretty much a draw, but the Frontenac got the take-down). He was lining up at center for the majority of the game and did quite well on the draw. I wasn't sure if that was a new development, as I thought he was a winger. I wasn't blown away by his potential... but there is some potential there. He reminded me of a bigger Dale Weise, with a higher ceiling.

Thanks for the report. McCarron has been mostly a C for the better part of the last year.

Thanks for the report. McCarron has been mostly a C for the better part of the last year.

Explains why he looked comfortable there! :)

A small tidbit about Koberstein:

Former Camrose Kodiaks defenceman Nik Koberstein, who is playing at Sioux Falls, S.D., in the USHL, was drafted by the Habs early in the fifth round in June and was supposed to be going to the University of Alaska-Fairbanks next year. But he might change his mind and go to an Eastern-based college so Montreal can keep better tabs on the Barrhead-born youngster, who could be a sleeper.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/12/26/short-shifts-sergei-bobrovsky-in-line-to-get-a-healthy-new-deal-with-columbus-blue-jackets/

Well, as a fan would be nice to see him closer to Quebec than Alaska, but maybe change of heart is just him being unexpectedly drafted by Habs and quite dosent see himself as a 'long term' prospect as Timmins said he is?

MacMillan gets his 9th yesterday, his most productive year at least (PPG). Will he be a Bulldog next year?

(Engqvist has 30pts in 40games this year in KHL, hmm)

Well, as a fan would be nice to see him closer to Quebec than Alaska, but maybe change of heart is just him being unexpectedly drafted by Habs and quite dosent see himself as a 'long term' prospect as Timmins said he is?

It may also be the Habs pushing him to play for a better school to face a better level of competition. Or, it may be that the writer got a bad scoop.

MacMillan gets his 9th yesterday, his most productive year at least (PPG). Will he be a Bulldog next year?

(Engqvist has 30pts in 40games this year in KHL, hmm)

There's a good chance that MacMillan could suit up this year on an ATO after his season ends.

As for Engqvist, I'm still operating with the understanding that the Habs have already released him (that note I posted a few months ago).

It may also be the Habs pushing him to play for a better school to face a better level of competition. Or, it may be that the writer got a bad scoop.

There's a good chance that MacMillan could suit up this year on an ATO after his season ends.

As for Engqvist, I'm still operating with the understanding that the Habs have already released him (that note I posted a few months ago).

Sorry sir, you provide too much info to recall it all and was simply going by HabsProspects website saying he needs to be signed by June 30th (so assumed still have his rights tis all)

So you think is highly improbable Engqvist could be 4th line centre for Habs next fall? Or so remote a chance not even a consideration? Maybe he is happy in KHL and he would even opt for SHL before coming back?

He did quite well in KHL last year also and he couldn't have any less offense than Malhotra.

So you think is highly improbable Engqvist could be 4th line centre for Habs next fall? Or so remote a chance not even a consideration? Maybe he is happy in KHL and he would even opt for SHL before coming back?

He did quite well in KHL last year also and he couldn't have any less offense than Malhotra.

If they have indeed released him already, I'd say there's no chance. If it was just an NHL.com mistake, then there would be an outside chance but not likely. If he keeps doing well, he'll get a nice extension there or back home.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker