Rochester vs Hamilton, October 8, 7 PM

dlbalr

The season is finally here as the already injury-riddled Bulldogs host division rival Rochester to kick off the 2011-12 campaign.

-r105032%20:%20ham09_500.jpg

Last year's scoring leaders:

Goals: Michael Ryan (25)

Assists: Paul Szczechura (30)

PIMS: Corey Tropp (113)

+/-: Alex Biega (+18)

-r105019%20:%20ham09_500.jpg

Last years scoring leaders:

Goals: Brian Willsie (30)

Assists: Brian Willsie (38)

PIMS: Zack FitzGerald (229)

+/-: Brian Willsie (+30)

Puck drop is at 7:05 PM EST and can be listened to by clicking this link: http://cham.player.amri.ca/ If you live in the Hamilton area, the game can be seen on Cable 14.

Bulldogs lead 4-1 after 2. Goals by St. Denis (2!), Trotter, and Schultz. Looking at the +/-, here's what some of the lines appear to be:

Trotter-Willsie-Palushaj (not sure who's centering)

Berger-Masse-Schultz

Henry-St. Denis

Mitera-Stejskal

Malka-FitzGerald

5-2 Final

1. HAM St. Denis, (1) (Palushaj, Trotter), 10:16

2. HAM St. Denis, (2) (Trotter, Willsie), 3:40 (PP)

2. HAM Trotter, (1) (Blunden, Palushaj), 4:55 (PP)

2. RCH Parker, (1) (Kassian, Whitmore), 10:59 (PP)

2. HAM Schultz, (1) (Berger), 13:44

3. HAM Trotter, (2) , 5:24 (PS)

3. RCH Stuart, (1) (Tropp, Brennan), 17:52 (PP)

Lawson with 30 saves for the win

Three Stars:

1. HAM - 19 Brock Trotter

2. HAM - 32 Frederic St. Denis

3. HAM - 52 Nathan Lawson

Edited by Commandant

Interesting that Mayer played 21 seconds of this one. Hopefully it was just for an equipment problem or something for Lawson who was named 3rd star as well.

Phillipe Lefebvre, who I had pegged as a healthy scratch in this one, led all Bulldogs with 5 shots. Good to see.

According to Derek Wills on twitter

Lines were

Trotter-Willsie -Palushaj (still unclear who is center of this line),

Conboy-DeSimone-Avtsin

Lefebvre-Dumont-Blunden

Berger-Masse-Schultz

Looks like they are going for the same top 9 approach that the Habs are going for.

I hope Berger can move up as time passes, really liked him in training camp... he seems like he'll be useful, but needs development.

Edited by Commandant

I would go with Trotter

My bet would be Willsie, since Willsie played C for the Habs in preseason games, and Trotter was always a winger in preseason.

Hehas been almost exclusively a LW since he left the University of Denver.

He was at LW for almost all of his 2.5 years in Hamilton, though I don't know what he was doing in the AHL last year.

Maybe we'll get some clarification though.

Edited by Commandant

My bet would be Willsie, since Willsie played C for the Habs in preseason games, and Trotter was always a winger in preseason.

Hehas been almost exclusively a LW since he left the University of Denver.

He was at LW for almost all of his 2.5 years in Hamilton, though I don't know what he was doing in the AHL last year.

Maybe we'll get some clarification though.

I would go with Trotter, because by all accounts Willsie hasn't been able too win a faceoff too save his life

Interesting that Mayer played 21 seconds of this one. Hopefully it was just for an equipment problem or something for Lawson who was named 3rd star as well.

I still don't understand exactly what happened (I missed what led up to it) but in the second period during a stop in the play Lawson was coming back into his net. One of the linesmen skated over to him and said something. Lawson then skated out to where the referee was and they started arguing. The ref sent him to the Bulldogs bench....there was NO penalty called, but Mayer came out and Lawson had to sit there for one shift, and then he was allowed to come back into the game. I have never seen anything like it before. :wacko:

Also, Lawson should NEVER attempt to pass the puck. He is certainly not Martin Brodeur when it comes to that. Every attempt he made to pass the puck was a nail-biting experience. His passes up the ice were either feeble attempts which were almost always intercepted by a Rochester player, or they were a risky pass across the ice in front of the net with no Bulldogs player around to back him up. If those ones had been picked off, Rochester would have had an empty net to shoot on every single time. Brutal. Somebody go and get him a dog leash and chain him to the net please.

I still don't understand exactly what happened (I missed what led up to it) but in the second period during a stop in the play Lawson was coming back into his net. One of the linesmen skated over to him and said something. Lawson then skated out to where the referee was and they started arguing. The ref sent him to the Bulldogs bench....there was NO penalty called, but Mayer came out and Lawson had to sit there for one shift, and then he was allowed to come back into the game. I have never seen anything like it before. :wacko:

Derek just told the story of what happened. Here it is in a nutshell.

- Lawson breaks his stick, whistle goes

- Apparently there's a rule that you must ask the referee for permission to go to the bench

- Lawson failed to ask permission so he was told he had to leave the ice

- Yap, yap, yap, Lawson loses the argument

- Mayer comes in for one shift, Lawson replaces him after the whistle (legal line change)