Injury news

Commandant

Don't worry, he'll be back when the doctor says he is 100%. It's not to say that he won't be injured again. Nobody knows, but once you get the green light, you have got to play.

I like the way Pittsburgh handled CRs0by. He got the green light about a month if not longer before he finally suited up. Given the way Markov has been handled (i.e. training by himself without doctors supervision) I just hope they finally have it right.

Obviously Markov was not ready the last time he returned; his knee blew out right away.

We have to hope, desperately, that he has learned from this mistake.

I understand the anxiety. Boy do I ever. Everything hinges on Markov. A strong and healthy return by him ramifies through the entire lineup and puts us in a position where, if we stay heathy and get hot and/or make 1-2 more tweaks, we can indeed contend. Without him, we're decent, but (in my opinion) will never win.

I know this sounds like a lot to put on one man - Wamsley would say I'm crazy - but I believe that most teams have 1-2 key guys like that, and Markov, along with Price and Pleks, is ours.

Knee surgery just needs time let along repeat surgery in such close proximity. Emelin as a potential player was a huge factor I believe in why Markov was asked back so I am hoping he truly is 100% because we can ill afford to have him out of the line-up for another extended period of time.

If he is not healthy and gets injured again this may go down on an even bigger bust than the Gomez trade.

Some people come back because they think they are ready. Some people come back because they simply want to play. He is the most valuable part of this team next to Price so I don't want him back because he can play. I want him back because his knee is 100% and can't possibly get stronger.

18-24 months is the magic number to have a fully integrated knee after reconstruction! he could be back to strenuous activity 8-14months Post OP

Its been over a full year since Markov got hurt originally. If he isn't ready yet, will he ever?

when he hurt his knee is irrelevant! his surgery was dec 8th, 2011. so he is still not even 12 months Post OP from his 2nd surgery in a span of 6 months (cadaver now patella tendon).. not to shabby andrei! you are a quick healer!

I know this sounds like a lot to put on one man - Wamsley would say I'm crazy - but I believe that most teams have 1-2 key guys like that, and Markov, along with Price and Pleks, is ours.

Agreed. By the way, where is Wamsley??

On another board I frequent there is a poster who came up with a theory called the "better best player theory"

The fastest way to improve your team is to get a better best player.

Ie... whoever is the best player on your defence, and right now its Subban for us... add a player to that who is better... in this case Markov.

The results end up being better than you think they will be, because of the effect Markov has on the rest of the lineup. Markov (eventually once his stamina is there, and game shape is there) will take the toughest matchups... subban will play minutes that are easier against easier opponents, and so on down the lineup... Gill becomes a third pairing instead of 2nd pairing guy, etc...

The whole lineup is transformed by the "better best player".

Take that guy out of the lineup and the reverse happens.

• Upvote 1

The thing that might drive some around here crazy? If Markov delivers like we all hope, he saves Jacques Martin's ass. But in the end, I believe Jacques almost deserves to have a healthy Markov in his starting lineup.

The thing that might drive some around here crazy? If Markov delivers like we all hope, he saves Jacques Martin's ass. But in the end, I believe Jacques almost deserves to have a healthy Markov in his starting lineup.

As much as I hate Jacques Martin's passive aggresive style, you're absolutely right about the Markov thing. It's not like Martin has had Markov around for many games since he was named Head coach!

Obviously Markov was not ready the last time he returned; his knee blew out right away.

We have to hope, desperately, that he has learned from this mistake.

I understand the anxiety. Boy do I ever. Everything hinges on Markov. A strong and healthy return by him ramifies through the entire lineup and puts us in a position where, if we stay heathy and get hot and/or make 1-2 more tweaks, we can indeed contend. Without him, we're decent, but (in my opinion) will never win.

Those are THE three players. If any one of those are out, this team does not contend. I totally agree. Some teams have a best player. Montreal has three that share the duty.

Bets....what is more likely to occur?

1) Markov has an immediate impact on the PP and leads the team to the playoffs.

2) Markov takes too long to truly regain his form and Montreal finishes outside the playoffs.

3) Markov re-aggravates the injury and Montreal acquires X player to fill the void to lead the team to the playoffs

4) markov re-aggravtes the injury and Montreal stays the course with their young D-men and finish outside the playoffs.

Bets....what is more likely to occur?

1)  Markov has an immediate impact on the PP and leads the team to the playoffs.

2) Markov takes too long to truly regain his form and Montreal finishes outside the playoffs.

3) Markov re-aggravates the injury and Montreal acquires X player to fill the void to lead the team to the playoffs

4) markov re-aggravtes the injury and Montreal stays the course with their young D-men and finish outside the playoffs.

Markov starts quickly based on adrenaline and does well on the west coast swing. Then Markov slows down as the adrenaline goes away and he struggles for a week or two (hopefully others lead the team in that time). Then Markov regains his form, leads the PP, and the team gets hot, making the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Markov starts quickly based on adrenaline and does well on the west coast swing. Then Markov slows down as the adrenaline goes away and he struggles for a week or two (hopefully others lead the team in that time). Then Markov regains his form, leads the PP, and the team gets hot, making the playoffs.

If he remains healthy, he will make a big difference. Markov is the kind of player who makes everybody around him better. Our young defensemen will improve quickly under his tutelage. I don't know if he will play tomorrow, but it is a question of days now.

Having a Markov at 80% will help this team greatly, let alone a fully healthy Markov. Ever since he went down the first time, our defense has been patched together to try to fill his void. I think management and the players have done a great job at doing so. But when he was hurt, he was THE best and most important skater that we had. I don't know what the statistics were, but the Habs winning % was much higher when he was in the lineup. Suddenly our powerplay becomes dangerous, and on a team that relies on special teams to win games, that is critical. Having arguably a top 10 defense man inserted into any lineup will bolster the strength of that team. It's almost like we are making a blockbuster trade without giving up anything. I have been dreaming about his return for what seems like an eternity now, and am very excited to watch everything unfold.