Injury news

Commandant

I absolutely agree. I've been a big supporter of waiting for Markov, of wanting him back on our blue line. He's just so good. He's a true number 1 defenceman.

However we need to see him play this season. Whether its 10 games or 15 or 20 or whatever... he needs to play. We need to know before the offseason whether he will be ready for next year. Shutting him down and playing the waiting game again leaves too many question marks.

I'm a little unclear on what you mean by "moving on" from this team though. Are you saying we should plan for next season? That I agree with completely.

However if you are suggesting "move on from this team" as in blow the whole thing up, I don't think we need to do that though, there are some good pieces. I don't want a 2009 style blow up and reset, but I think we definetely need some additions and changes, and should look at the upcoming deadline as a time to start making those surgical adjustments to the lineup.

The answer is yes to the first question. Yes we have significant pieces. As much as I would love to blow it up, I don't seeit happening. The 2009 blowup featured away too many assets leaving for nothing. Yes I would like to see a big culture change here. My point however is no matter what we do it is time to get on it. The Markov news has sealed the deal for me.

We wont have a 2009 style blow up as we do not have 16 impending UFA's ;)

I am not sure what you are trying to imply here. Who does the responsiblity fall on that they all fall in the same year? Why wouldn't one try to resolve some of them, before they went to free agency, when you have no leverage?

I am not sure what you are trying to imply here. Who does the responsiblity fall on that they all fall in the same year? Why wouldn't one try to resolve some of them, before they went to free agency, when you have no leverage?

Just a thought, but I don't think he's placing the responsibility on anyone.

Just stating that its a lot easier to blow up a team when all the contracts are expiring, then it is when people are signed for next season. Which is certainly true.

You are correct in that we got nothing back for losing all those UFAs, but at the same time it freed a lot of cap and roster space to acquire the new players.

I think the difference this year is we are realistically not making the playoffs (unless we start a huge run, right now), and so at the end of February when the deadline comes, we can feel comfortable dumping Moen, Gill, Campoli, Kostitsyn (if not signed) etc... and get some picks and prospects back. Where as in 2009 we were an excellent team the first half of the year, and the slide didn't really start until that Super Bowl weekend in early February where Lang and Latendresse got hurt. At the deadline we were still seen as a good team, in a couple week slump, and we were still pretty confident we'd make the playoffs... so we didn't sell the veterans. The only problem was, the team continued a downward spiral for the next 2 months post deadline.

On Deadline day Gainey hadn't soured on the core of Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins etc... it was still seen as a team that played well in all of 07-08... played well from October 08 - end of January 09 and was just in a short slump due to injuries to Tanguay, Lang, Komisarek, and Latendresse. After he took over behind the bench, he saw that the core was rotten and started dumping.

Give Josh Gorges the C in the meantime.

It's already been stated that no one will be wearing the C in Gionta's absence. Considering everything is turning into a controversy right now, I can't say I disagree as even giving it on an interim basis will start something that will carry over into the offseason.

It's already been stated that no one will be wearing the C in Gionta's absence. Considering everything is turning into a controversy right now, I can't say I disagree as even giving it on an interim basis will start something that will carry over into the offseason.

Odd it was fine for someone to wear the C when Koivu was out, but not Gionta.

He was also in beast mode that year and had the team on his back.

Thats true, no problem with keeping a diva happy.... when they are playing that way.

Its like in football, yeah Terrell Owens and Randy Moss were pains in the ass, but they can score 15 TDs so you treat them like a diva and keep them happy.

Maybe we still go 7 and only dress 11 forwards thereby sitting Darche?

I'm done with the 7 dmen lineup,and I don't know why or how Darsche is even in the lineup on a nightly basis. he's been AHL-calibre,at best this year.brings nothing,and has even turned into a bit of a yapper.There was some cheap, great 4th line options available last summer that should have been brought in(Rupp,Konopka,Winchester,Eager,Torres)

Darche is actually playing better then alot habs right now, (pleks, Ak46, Eller to name a few).

but you are correct about playing Darche in general.

Be careful,you named 3 Euros and the Xenophoe police will be on you. I'll cut Pleks some slack as he seems to be just totally frustrated with the organization,and rightly so.it's a pretty disjointed team,as bad as I've seen since the Houle years.

I don't care, it is what it is.

I am not politically correct, i call them how i see them.

Pleks does have 5 million reasons to care and show up. I would look at trading that guy too. You could get a 1st and a propspect

I don't care, it is what it is.

I am not politically correct, i call them how i see them.

Pleks does have 5 million reasons to care and show up. I would look at trading that guy too. You could get a 1st and a propspect

Pleks has been horrible for sure but if we lose him then I hate to see what we look going forward. Desharnais, Eller, Gomez.......out.

But no player is an untouchable so I would conider trading any player if it imporved out team. With that said I am really hoping those getzlaf to Montreal rumours are true.