Injury news

Commandant

Would not be terrible if Price had a non-career threatening injury that forced him to miss the next month or so, and helped us tank.

Just saying.

maybe we should sit him for precautionary reasons anyways ;)

How do you know what Molson wants?

How do you know if Molson even thinks the playoffs are realistic?

Ok Molson DOESN'T want playoff revenue. Does that make you feel better. And PG is doing great and is the man,in tandem with Gainey to lead us to the cup,be perennial contenders.That's the 5 year plan.

He probably wants it.... where you get into his head, is by saying we won't be sellers because he still thinks its possible to make the playoffs.

This is a pretty simple concept to understand. In fact its RIGHT THERE in my post, and you still don't address it.

Yet somehow you can state with certainty that we won't be sellers, because Molson is still trying to get the playoff revenue.

If Molson is smart, he will look at the long game. Throwing away assets now in a desperate bid for a playoff push will cost him far more money in the long run, as the Habs degenerate into the Ballard Leafs. To me, saying that he is going to push Gauthier into being a buyer at the deadline is tantamount to calling him a stupid businessman. Which he may well be. The point is that it would be stupid.

If I'm him, I allow Gauthier to oversee the sell-off, telling him that I want us to be better next year and in the future rather than to risk longer-term success in a futile quest for immediate gratification. Indeed, I encourage him to 'think about next year,' implying that HE will be responsible for the situation going forward (which gives him an incentive not to behave stupidly). I only veto manifestly stupid or radical ideas like trading Subban. Other than that I leave the Goat alone.

Then, when the season's done and we have gathered what assets we can, I chop his head off and commence a proper, comprehensive search for a new GM.

If Molson is smart, he will look at the long game. Throwing away assets now in a desperate bid for a playoff push will cost him far more money in the long run, as the Habs degenerate into the Ballard Leafs. To me, saying that he is going to push Gauthier into being a buyer at the deadline is tantamount to calling him a stupid businessman. Which he may well be. The point is that it would be stupid.

If I'm him, I allow Gauthier to oversee the sell-off, telling him that I want us to be better next year and in the future rather than to risk longer-term success in a futile quest for immediate gratification. Indeed, I encourage him to 'think about next year,' implying that HE will be responsible for the situation going forward (which gives him an incentive not to behave stupidly). I only veto manifestly stupid or radical ideas like trading Subban. Other than that I leave the Goat alone.

Then, when the season's done and we have gathered what assets we can, I chop his head off and commence a proper, comprehensive search for a new GM.

Time will tell,we'll see what happens in the next month. I,for one,am sick of the yearly struggle for a low seed,with no hope of winning the cup.Trading picks for rentals,and losing UFA's for nothing.That's an awful way to run a team

So back on the injury note has anyone seen the ghost of Andrei Markov recently?

I'm willing to bet he won't be back by the all-start game as originally promised by the goat :D I'll be i Montreal around March 7- anyone want to bet me their hockey tickets that he will be back? :D

I do hope that they give him all the time he needs. Ideally, I'd like to see him play at least 5-10 games so we can get a sense of whether he will be back and how effective he is. However, I don't want him to try and rush back and risk further aggravating the knee. Worst case scenerio, if he can't come back and he still isn't skating by the end of summer, we'll know if we may have LTIR cap room.

I'm willing to bet he won't be back by the all-start game as originally promised by the goat :D

I do hope that they give him all the time he needs. Ideally, I'd like to see him play at least 5-10 games so we can get a sense of whether he will be back and how effective he is. However, I don't want him to try and rush back and risk further aggravating the knee. Worst case scenerio, if he can't come back and he still isn't skating by the end of summer, we'll know if we may have LTIR cap room.

Yeah he was signed before 35 so he could retire as well and not count against the cap.

If he does not play this year, going forward if I was GM I would operate as though he were not part of the team.

I'm willing to bet he won't be back by the all-start game as originally promised by the goat :D I'll be i Montreal around March 7- anyone want to bet me their hockey tickets that he will be back? :D

Same here. Even though we won't make a championship run this year, would be great if Markov could play some games this year, obviously only if he's 100%.

Would help his confidence level and make the Summer training more meaningful for him. If he were to come back only next fall, that's starting to be a pretty long gap between the last time he played. I'm sure a player of his calibre can get back to NHL level more quicker than others, but still..

Yeah he was signed before 35 so he could retire as well and not count against the cap.

If he does not play this year, going forward if I was GM I would operate as though he were not part of the team.

He won't retire, he'll sit on LTIR and collect his money like Marc Savard. Why would he retire and give away 11.5 million over the next two seasons?

If he decides he can't player, he'll sit on LTIR and the Habs will collect the insurance money and pay him with that.

I can't see him retiring. I think he would do what Savard is doing, if he can't comeback, continue to rehab and still collect his salary in which case we still get LTIR room.

He won't retire, he'll sit on LTIR and collect his money like Marc Savard. Why would he retire and give away 11.5 million over the next two seasons?

If he decides he can't player, he'll sit on LTIR and the Habs will collect the insurance money and pay him with that.

YOu beat me to the punch. Had the same point to make.

Fair enough same difference where the cap is concerned.

Fair enough same difference where the cap is concerned.

LTIR is a bit of a funny creature... it only has the same effect if you spend right up to the cap before placing him on LTIR.

It can have the same effect, but you need a pretty good capologist to do his work as well.

I'm sure the Habs will be okay because they always spend to the cap; but it won't work the same for other teams in this situation.

LTIR is a bit of a funny creature... it only has the same effect if you spend right up to the cap before placing him on LTIR.

It can have the same effect, but you need a pretty good capologist to do his work as well.

I'm sure the Habs will be okay because they always spend to the cap; but it won't work the same for other teams in this situation.

The big difference would be if Markov wanted to try and coming back and we had already used the space. Then we would be screwed.

The big difference would be if Markov wanted to try and coming back and we had already used the space. Then we would be screwed.

That would be one problem.

The other would be if we only had spent say 62 million out of 64 on the cap, on the day Markov was put on LTIR.... we would only get 3.75 million in extra space instead of 5.75 in extra space if we were spending 64/64 on the day Markov was put on LTIR.

In scenario one, we could spend 67.75 for the season.... (including Markov's 5.75)

In scenario two, we could spend 69.75 for the season... (including Markov's 5.75)

LTIR space = Player's cap hit - amount you are already under the cap.

Is he still covered by insurance? I thought you were not covered if it was an existing injury

Is he still covered by insurance? I thought you were not covered if it was an existing injury

Depends on the insurance policy.

There was reports at the time though that the Habs gave him three years only because they found a company willing to underwrite the contract.

You can negotiate many things into policies if you are willing to pay extra and the insurer is willing to cover it... its a contract like any other, and conditions are negotiable.

So back on the injury note has anyone seen the ghost of Andrei Markov recently?

Accordin to the "stand up" guys the organization,he should be back playing next week.PGs ast announcement was that he would be back at the end of January.I hope we just cut ties with him and use that money towards a stud dman.Even if you had to offer Weber $8-$10m/yr.

Accordin to the "stand up" guys the organization,he should be back playing next week.PGs ast announcement was that he would be back at the end of January.I hope we just cut ties with him and use that money towards a stud dman.Even if you had to offer Weber $8-$10m/yr.

\

I would give Weber that money for sure.