Injury news

Commandant

Ok Molson DOESN'T want playoff revenue. Does that make you feel better. And PG is doing great and is the man,in tandem with Gainey to lead us to the cup,be perennial contenders.That's the 5 year plan.

Sure! i am fine with Gauthier and majority of his moves and hope he is still there next year!

Any news on Ryan "I'm pulling a Markov" White ?

I believe if all goes well, he'll skate with the team tomorrow (last week they said the plan was he'd skate today but that was hard considering there was no practice today). I still think he's a couple weeks (and hopefully a conditioning assignment) away from actually playing though.

I believe if all goes well, he'll skate with the team tomorrow (last week they said the plan was he'd skate today but that was hard considering there was no practice today). I still think he's a couple weeks (and hopefully a conditioning assignment) away from actually playing though.

I think it's a few weeks too...he's skating but no contact yet.

Have you seen the standings and our roster lately? LOL he's awesome

yes, bout 20 goals for out of playoffs, what were you expecting a top contender?

Add in a healthy Gionta, Markov and delete cull Cammalleri and if had Bourque all year and would be sitting fine and this and that happened..etc.

Habs have been a mediocre middle of road team for 20 years, with many GM and coach combos, you think grass is greener with a another new GM, possibly but likely dreaming. You will likely get your wish anyways, but Gauthier has been at least average GM and majority of trades /signings i am pleased with.

Bout time for Habs to suck it up and be a seller at deadline, sure some shortterm pain, but in long run could be what Habs really need. And the next month will be where Gauthier can really implement some big changes, but will he get the most for assets or be a Milbury, or even be allowed by Molson to trade for future??

• Upvote 1

Just a quick question there : What do you think about Yzerman,

Not overly impressed,he did nothing to solve his goaltending issues and actually let Mike Smith go,who seemed to be a pretty good young player. They've had a ton of injuries also,especially with quality d-men.

Have you seen the standings and our roster lately? LOL he's awesome

Add in a healthy Markov and we would have been a top team this year.

We would have had a strong PP, depth on defense, we wouldn't have had to make the Campoli signing or trade for Kaberle, but could have focused on acquiring a center. He is doing the best he can with all the injuries we have sustained.

We would have had a strong PP, depth on defense, we wouldn't have had to make the Campoli signing or trade for Kaberle, but could have focused on acquiring a center. He is doing the best he can with all the injuries we have sustained.

There are those who will deny that a single player can make such a difference, and 'top team' might be pushing it, but I actually agree with this sentiment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Under Martin this team was

-top-3 on the PK

-top-5 in shots against

-top-10 even strength

There can be no room for doubt that IF we had had an effective power play, in conjunction with these totals, it would have propelled us easily into a playoff spot and we'de have been a very strong club. Instead of talking about tanking we'd be arguing over whether we have a realistic chance against the Bruins and what we need to add to hit the next level.

Since EXACTLY the same roster (minus [!] Cole, Patches, and Gorges) had great success on the PP last season when Wisnieswski was running it, and since Markov is a far better player in all respects than Wiz, it is a 100% reasonable inference that Markov would have made the difference on the PP and thus resulted in us being a highly competitive team.

The only other variable would be a player - or at least, a Cammalleri - revolt against Martin. But that might or might not have happened had we had Markov and the success his contributions would likely have generated.

For want of a nail, the ship was lost.

You should say " If we had Markov AND he was still the player he was THREE years ago ". Markov hasn't played a full season since 08-09. How do you know he wouldn't just be a shell of himself. A healthy Wiz is better (and grittier) then a one legged Markov.

And sorry,but $17m+ was too big of a gamble. We paid him $13m the last two years for nothing.If he wasn't going to sign for 1 year or a discount after that,than screw him.

You should say " If we had Markov AND he was still the player he was THREE years ago ". Markov hasn't played a full season since 08-09. How do you know he wouldn't just be a shell of himself. A healthy Wiz is better (and grittier) then a one legged Markov.

And sorry,but $17m+ was too big of a gamble. We paid him $13m the last two years for nothing.If he wasn't going to sign for 1 year or a discount after that,than screw him.

He has been injured, suspended and a complete liability in his own end. The idea of losing Markov for Wiz was something I never agreed with. Wait till Markov is back. Then we can all judge.

He has been injured, suspended and a complete liability in his own end. The idea of losing Markov for Wiz was something I never agreed with. Wait till Markov is back. Then we can all judge.

Too big of a gamble with a salary cap.If we see him at all this year,it will be playing for Russia in the WC's. Time to cut bait.

Do you know how the Salary Cap works with LTIR?

Do you know how medical insurance for contracts works?

I'm gonna guess no based on your posts that its "too big a gamble under the salary cap."

What a patronizing prick.We signed Markie this year to a 3/yr $17m contract. I know that helped kill our chances of acquiring a dman worth $6m/yr in the off-season..And then we got Campoli for insurance and then Kaberle because of that failure. So basically we have $11-12m tied up in that spot. I know you admire the habs management,but I would rather have used that money for an unmatchable offer sheet to a Weber or Stamkos,who would be worth 4 1st rd draft choices.

A team that currently holds the 5th overall selection in the NHL draft, and won't make the playoffs, making an offer sheet to sacrifice their next 4 first round picks.

I'm sorry but it just doesn't work that way.

Not unless you have Brian Burke giving up Seguin, Hamilton, and Knight to Boston for Phil Kessel. Thanks for helping the Bruins become the deepest team in the league and handing them a player who will be an absolute stud for 15 years Burke.

• Upvote 1

What a patronizing prick.We signed Markie this year to a 3/yr $17m contract. I know that helped kill our chances of acquiring a dman worth $6m/yr in the off-season..And then we got Campoli for insurance and then Kaberle because of that failure. So basically we have $11-12m tied up in that spot. I know you admire the habs management,but I would rather have used that money for an unmatchable offer sheet to a Weber or Stamkos,who would be worth 4 1st rd draft choices.

A bit harsh. And if i recall most were 50-50 on whether to either sign the Wiz or Markov, i think you would of been almost alone last july to say we would of let both walk, dont you think? Markov's recovery seems almost unprecidented in length, but all in hindsight sir, who knew?

Campoli signing was i bet at request of Martin for another vet on the backend, and he is not a big salary.

Also many seem to simply assume, you just offer a Weber or Stamkos the big $$ and you get them, it dosent quite work like that and you must realize some are hesitant to sign in Quebec for obvious reasons.

Giving up 4 1st round picks is OK if you have a bunch of highly skilled players already in the farm system and are just looking for that final big piece to really contend and it is a move that is rarly done, with good reason.

And unlike you, i am good/pleased with Kaberle signing and he will fit in nicely as a 3rd pairing/PP guy, sure a bit overpaid, but if we can convince Gomez to retire it wont be a big deal.

We as fans can easily toss out this deal, that deal..but PG is something we'll never be an ACTUAL GM. If being a GM was as easy as some posters on this site make it out to be we'd all be them. The anger expressed here is disheartening, lafrous10, you're new here, but we don't exactly use that kind of language or attitude here.

Things can get heated see: Halak vs Price debates, but we are all habs fans here, why the need for insults? I realize Commandant shot the first volley with his insult, but what he said was correct.

I've tried to agrue with my co-workers about contracts before...they are gambles, they gambled on Markov..and we will not see whether it will pay off this year, next year.

Yeah a little out of line. What I have noticed of late is that we are getting away from posting imformation in the proper thread. i guess I am as guilty as anyone else. The injury thread seems to have everything and the kitchen sink. My message would be to try to respect the other posters and try to keep on topic. Go Habs Go!

With Markov and a little less key injury issues, our team is better than last year's with more to build with the next year. We can be sure the Goat exercised due diligence on Markov's medical condition but was beat by an unexpected turn. It's way too easy to scapegoat.

I was interested to hear on the broadcast for the Wings game that the Wings are something like 5-7 with Lidstrom out of the lineup. It's a small sample but it suggests that they're a sub-.500 club in his absence; yet nobody infers from that that the Wings are 'really' a mediocre team, or that their management or coaching has been incompetent, which is what everyone and his dog now say about the Markov-less Habs. You can make the case that Markov is our Lidstrom. Not that he's as great as Lidstrom, just that his impact on our team is comparable to Lidstrom's on his. And it is just an astonishingly enormous piece of bad luck for us that our Lidstrom has suffered cataclysmic injuries three years running; the amazing thing is perhaps not that we're struggling now but that we managed to be so competitive is his absence prior to this year. In the end, the fate of the Great Gainey Rebuild came down to a stroke of almost the worst imaginable bad luck.

(I still think Goat should be fired for the confused and panicky way he has coped with the terrible hand he was dealt. What I want to insist on, though, is that our fundamental problem has been luck as horrible as any NHL team has faced in recent years. The issue is that Gauthier has coped with it badly, not that it's his fault).