Injury news

Commandant

Campoli was signed solely because of Markov's situation which was known in September, well after the defencemen you listed were plucked. If there's blame to lay here, some of it has to go to the doctors who in July were touting Markov was on schedule for an early season return. Not all of it, but some.

We'll disagree on Kaberle who to me without question has been better than Spacek. I will grant you that the cap hit beyond this year could be problematic, we'll have to see what happens there.

Diaz isn't the most physical but he's a decent skater and is willing to block shots. For the cost of nothing, that simply can't be a bad acquisition. At 25, there is still room to improve too.

Diaz had done great and super signing, not sure who could ever complain about he nor Yemelin?

And i think Kaberle's experiance and puck skills will be needed, as more young d-men come on-line and he has been doing super as well.

And for those who bich and moan about his salary, give me a break; if someone asked what is a 50+point puck moving d-man worth; I know damn well $4.25 would seem like a steal, or am i off base on that?? Dont think i am.

And i really am looking forward to a Kaberle/Markov pairing on the PP, as much as Markov/Yemelin as a 5-on-5 pairing.

And as far as Campoli goes, that signing was, i would wager a good bet, at the whining of Martin to get him a Vet back up d-man and really could Gauthier say no and just sit on extra cap $$?

Goaltending and defense is the least of Hab rebuilding needs, people who whine about it must really be bored or very pessimistic. It is up front that has needed work for 20+ years and this year is the perfect oppotunity to reshape and restock forward group.

The 2009 spree yielded a good, competitive team until this season, when things fell apart for reasons having to do with the Markov injury, an idiotic player rebellion, bad luck, and some panicky GMing. I think Bob left a solid, if imperfect, foundation when he departed. Even Gomez didn't tank until a year later for heaven's sake.

As for lafrous's argument, well, like Habsy I don't see a whole ton of Gauthier-lovers on this board. The issue seems to be that many of those who want Gauthier fired - including me - are also prepared to grant that a number of his individual moves have been good. My own view is that his moves can be defended when taken in isolation but his overall pattern this year has been panicky and incoherent, and that it's time to hire a strong hand who can set a new direction for the club. Lafrous seems to feel that if you defend any of Gauthier's moves you're a 'Gauthier lover.' It's a reductionist argument that ignores the simple fact that things are complicated, and don't have to be crammed into simple FOR and AGAINST absolutes. I'm for some of Gauthier's moves, but I'm against Gauthier's overall performance. There's no contradiction there. And it hardly makes me a 'Gauthier lover.'

As usual, I read but keep my trap shut because the CC says pretty much exactly what I am thinking, but with more equanimity and cred here than I. That's the case again vis-a-vis lafrous's fundamentalist fumings, but we differ on one point which may add something to this debate:

I am an unabashed BG and PG lover. Love what they did in 2009 and think it worked out much better than expected in 2009-10 and 2010-11 with the big exception of Gomez. I like Martin too, but can see that it was time to move on.

PG, on the otherhand, has vision at the macro and micro levels. His moves since taking over from BG have been timely and bold:

• Maxing out Halak's trade value by getting Eller - a solid 2C or 3C for the future.
  • Getting the Wiz on the cheap to save last season, and then wisely letting him walk despite the temptation
  • = the flexibility to sign the much more important Cole
  • Bringing Diaz and the long sought after Emelin over for cheap
  • Off loading the newly-toxic Cammalleri and the useless (for Montreal) Ramo for more size and half the cap hit + Patrick Holland may go down as one of his most brilliant moves.
  • Campoli?! Whatever. It isn't PG's fault Markov's knee has taken so long to recover. He bears ultimate responsibility for gambling on him. But I still think this was the best move to make.

PG is gradually making the team younger, bigger, and more offensive, without losing the defensive gains of the BG and JM years, while showing the wisdom to make space for the surprising likes of DD and Gallagher.

As usual, I read but keep my trap shut because the CC says pretty much exactly what I am thinking, but with more equanimity and cred here than I. That's the case again vis-a-vis lafrous's fundamentalist fumings, but we differ on one point which may add something to this debate:

I am an unabashed BG and PG lover. Love what they did in 2009 and think it worked out much better than expected in 2009-10 and 2010-11 with the big exception of Gomez. I like Martin too, but can see that it was time to move on.

PG, on the otherhand, has vision at the macro and micro levels. His moves since taking over from BG have been timely and bold:

• Maxing out Halak's trade value by getting Eller - a solid 2C or 3C for the future.
  • Getting the Wiz on the cheap to save last season, and then wisely letting him walk despite the temptation
  • Off loading the newly-toxic Cammalleri and the useless (for Montreal) Ramo for more size and half the cap hit + Patrick Holland may go down as one of his most brilliant moves.
  • Campoli?! Whatever. It isn't PG's fault Markov's knee has taken so long to recover. He bears ultimate responsibility for gambling on him. But I still think this was the best move to make.

PG is gradually making the team younger, bigger, and more offensive, without losing the defensive gains of the BG and JM years, while showing the wisdom to make space for the surprising likes of DD and Gallagher.

I completely agree. The thing with the Campoli signing is that he was a free agent who we may turn into a pick. AKA a gain. There is no way he is staying with the team. PG is addressing our need to get bigger, he has been all season which is why I think that he will acquire the right kind of defense men in the offseason or through trade at the deadline, but I'm not sure he will be there for the offseason to see. Holland is showing good things in the WHL, the Diaz signing was a steal, Emelin has shown excellent development, the way he has gone about some things. possible silence around the Halak deal and odd timing of the Cammy trade, aside I think he has done a good job with the team.

And here we sit in 14th in the east,after being in the ECF 2 years ago. Great progress!! :surrender:

And here we sit in 14th in the east,after being in the ECF 2 years ago. Great progress!! :surrender:

Or you can see that we missed the playoffs and finished eighth and got crushed in the playoffs, then made the changes and made a run to the ECF and pushed the cup champs to OT in game 7... then had a bad season. You don't look at the real results of the changes they made lafrous, we have had way more success with this squad then we did over the previous 10 years. :bonk:

My turn to use elementary icons to illustrate negative points that don't help discussion :)

You may remember that during BG's time as GM it became clear that the first rebuild was a failure? We all talked about it quite alot on here and we all knew we were at a re-start of that rebuild. It is the preferred route of a rebuild to finish in the lottery. Take a look at the current Jr and NCAA palyers we have. Those along with our current youth and a top 3 from this season is a pretty solid rebuild job IMHO. Add to those young players decent vets, Cole, Gionta, ie and sign UFA87 after next season = rebuild complete.

Now can I please get an injury update which I came to this thread for?

On the downside, I may be in this thread in 3 years looking for news on UFA87

You may remember that during BG's time as GM it became clear that the first rebuild was a failure? We all talked about it quite alot on here and we all knew we were at a re-start of that rebuild. It is the preferred route of a rebuild to finish in the lottery. Take a look at the current Jr and NCAA palyers we have. Those along with our current youth and a top 3 from this season is a pretty solid rebuild job IMHO. Add to those young players decent vets, Cole, Gionta, ie and sign UFA89 after next season = rebuild complete.

Now can I please get an injury update which I came to this thread for?

Blunden Surgery 4-6 weeks

Markov rehabbing skated 40 minutes yesterday

Weber day to day lower body injury (not on road trip).

Gionta out for the season

Moen is healthy and in the lineup.

Diaz had the flu but is healthy now.

Anyone else?

Blunden Surgery 4-6 weeks

Markov rehabbing skated 40 minutes yesterday

Weber day to day lower body injury (not on road trip).

Gionta out for the season

Moen is healthy and in the lineup.

Diaz had the flu but is healthy now.

Anyone else?

Nokelainen has been DTD with a rib injury for what, 3 weeks now? DTD means nothing it seems this year...

• Upvote 1

Now there is a positive!!! White conditioning is only 2 months behind but great news to me. Love that kid.

Yeah, me to, I can't wait to see him back in the habs line up!

It's looking like a week or so more for Weber which isn't too bad. That will keep Campoli in for a few more games which will be his longest stretch of consecutive games. That should help sell him a bit to potential buyers.

5th rounder please.

Any new tidbits on Markov?

Read onn HIO today:

Defenceman Andrei Markov skated with some gusto before the morning skate began, working out with athletic therapist Graham Rynbend and Scott Livingston, the team’s former strength and conditioning co-ordinator. Presumably, Livingston is aboard to help out with Markov’s ongoing rehab.

Yeah with livingston the guy who helped Koivu back.

He was let go or quit the Habs about 2 or 3 years ago.

Livingstone quit to start his own company or something and no longer wanted full time employment in Montreal, so they are probably hiring him for this special instance. Markov did 50 minutes today, which is up from what he did last week.

Livingstone quit to start his own company or something and no longer wanted full time employment in Montreal, so they are probably hiring him for this special instance. Markov did 50 minutes today, which is up from what he did last week.

I tell you, he is not far from being able to practice with the team. I bet two weeks at the most.

I tell you, he is not far from being able to practice with the team. I bet two weeks at the most.

So 2 1/2 weeks away from a setback? :P

Markov skated for close to 40, «intense», minutes today. Provided there is no other setback he is getting close to practice with the team. I say one more week.

Alleluia!! I know parallels with the second coming are likely to be a little too optimistic, but it sure it good to hear that the most significant absence affecting the team terribly is ending.

What a critical difference he could have made, but medical advice is often limited.

Alleluia!! I know parallels with the second coming are likely to be a little too optimistic, but it sure it good to hear that the most significant absence affecting the team terribly is ending.

What a critical difference he could have made, but medical advice is often limited.

I forget what he looks like on the ice...