Injury news

Commandant

Apparently Bourque is out with the flu. TSN reporting that Beaulieu may play on the 4th line... Is there really no one we can call up to fill a forward position? MT must be really sour on Leblanc.

I was just about to say the same thing. Why in the world would we put Beaulieu up front..to confuse him a little more? WTF. Get some other forward to replace Bourque. I hate it when we put d-men up front.

Guest Stogey24

Apparently Bourque is out with the flu. TSN reporting that Beaulieu may play on the 4th line... Is there really no one we can call up to fill a forward position? MT must be really sour on Leblanc.

Blunden possibly. There is no way Beaulieu plays up.

One more recall takes the Habs into LTIR which they likely want to avoid this early. Plus, it's a game-time decision for Bourque so he may still go. Beaulieu playing is the last resort.

I was hoping to spark somebody to add some rational behind the delay.

It's probably not good news, that's for sure. My guess is that they saw the original diagnosis and spent yesterday reviewing the options (surgery vs rehab, stuff like that). It could also be as simple as the fact they had the day off yesterday but the fact it wasn't mentioned among today's notes may throw a wrench in that.

Oh god, the offensive defenseman on the fourth line. Were we pioneers with this with Dandenault, or have teams always done this? The only time it seems to work out is when another defenseman gets injured early on and there's a ready replacement.

Wouldn't icing 11 forwards make more sense than asking a rookie to play out of position? Then we can play Beaulieu in offensive situations without putting too much of a strain on the other Dmen's minutes.

Oh god, the offensive defenseman on the fourth line. Were we pioneers with this with Dandenault, or have teams always done this? The only time it seems to work out is when another defenseman gets injured early on and there's a ready replacement.

Wouldn't icing 11 forwards make more sense than asking a rookie to play out of position? Then we can play Beaulieu in offensive situations without putting too much of a strain on the other Dmen's minutes.

Not to mention Streit, Weber... I'm surprised they never put Markov on the 4th line.

I think a reason MaxPac is so injury prone is because he's all arms and legs out there. For instance, if you watch him close when he's taking someone in the boards (or being taken in himself) - there's a lot of flailing about of the arms and legs going on. Then look at a guy like Plekanec who is very compact and "together", who rarely gets hurt. I dunno, just something I seemed to notice...

Actually Burns and Byfuglian would be examples of having some success with this stategy.

He got hit in the chest with a shot. How is that injury prone? Fact he was in front of the net should thrill us to no end! Fact that it was a wild shot is unfortunate. He was run into the wall by Chara. How is that injury prone? The fact he comes back so quickly should be pretty good evidence that he's not peanut brittle!

No, this is starting to get almost farcical. The ruts in the ice changing Koivu. A blade going through the top of Markov's skate. Montreal is just in Karmic Hell. A significant number of these injuries can be legitimately called "freak." I mean, every team has to deal with injuries, and we get those. We just the doubling "freak factor" because we left the Forum and the Gods will never forgive us.

It's one thing to tear a bicep, but the other one? How does that even happen? You can't make up stuff to make it sound more ridiculous!

Will someone please sacrifice a goat or a pig or a Donald S Cherry at centre ice under the silvery glow from reflected light off 24 replica Cups. PLEASE?

Oh god, the offensive defenseman on the fourth line. Were we pioneers with this with Dandenault, or have teams always done this?

no actually I think it was Detroit, with Dandenault. :)

He got hit in the chest with a shot. How is that injury prone? Fact he was in front of the net should thrill us to no end! Fact that it was a wild shot is unfortunate. He was run into the wall by Chara. How is that injury prone? The fact he comes back so quickly should be pretty good evidence that he's not peanut brittle!

No, this is starting to get almost farcical. The ruts in the ice changing Koivu. A blade going through the top of Markov's skate. Montreal is just in Karmic Hell. A significant number of these injuries can be legitimately called "freak." I mean, every team has to deal with injuries, and we get those. We just the doubling "freak factor" because we left the Forum and the Gods will never forgive us.

It's one thing to tear a bicep, but the other one? How does that even happen? You can't make up stuff to make it sound more ridiculous!

Will someone please sacrifice a goat or a pig or a Donald S Cherry at centre ice under the silvery glow from reflected light off 24 replica Cups. PLEASE?

:lol:

I'll see what I can do about Cherry...

I agree that we've suffered from a disproportionate number of 'freak' injuries to really key roster players over the past, say, 15 years. Koivu (repeated catastrophic career-compromising injuries) and Markov (repeated career-compromising and catastrophic injuries) are exhibits A and B. Don't forget Robert Lang - brought in as a crucial solidfier down the middle - going down in 2009, which triggered the team's collapse. Or Donald Audette having his career ended a mere 5 games after being acquired to be a key offensive catalyst. Or Emelin and ALL his replacements. Or Patches in 2011, just in time for the playoffs against Boston. Or an emerging Eller getting crushed midway through game one last playoff. Heck, even that clown Campoli - brought in to replace an injured Markov - himself went down with a cataclysmic injury around game two of 2011. Our replacements for injured guys suffer grave injuries themselves.

It's not a coincidence that I was able to predict a serious injury to Douglas Murray. This is the Habs. That is what happens to us.

Part of the issue has been a lack of depth within the organization allowing us to rise above the injuries. But it goes beyond that. Imagine if Datsyuk had suffered a career-compromising injury on the scale of Koivu's knee blowout, AND if Lidstrom had lost three seasons due to terrible knee injuries, only to return as a compromised version of himself. I doubt we'd be talking about the Wings as a 20-year-plus playoff team. Some disasters are impossible to fully overcome.

Not to mention Streit, Weber... I'm surprised they never put Markov on the 4th line.

Markov was a centre when drafted by Habs. I think Beaulieu doing the opposite (as a winger of course) may be best, a la Brent Burns in San Jose?

And I think Beaulieu may make a better winger (easier position compared to d for sure) than d-man anyways, but he needs to do the switch and practice in AHL first.

He has good vision, can skate forward super (not so well skating backwards for an NHL d-man) and good puck skills, can hit a bit, so easy fit on the wing.

I think that's what they'd do. I doubt they'd actually play Beaulieu on the 4th line. One of the top six forwards would double shift with the two fourth liners (I presume Moen would move up, leaving Bournival and White) and Beaulieu would see PP duty.

3 weeks? If the Habs are playing well then push it to 4.

I want a 100% Patches back. Not a "100%" Patches.

I agree, it's not worth it to rush him. Not-healthy Patches is depressing to watch on the ice, like we saw last playoffs.

3 weeks? If the Habs are playing well then push it to 4.

I want a 100% Patches back. Not a "100%" Patches.

I think the original diagnosis was two years since the hammy was torn completely free from the rest of his body and was floating uselessly in his leg. 3 weeks is the "Patch" return estimate to 125%. At the regular Patch 100%, he would have been considered questionable for Saturday against Nashville.

• Upvote 1

I think the original diagnosis was two years since the hammy was torn completely free from the rest of his body and was floating uselessly in his leg. 3 weeks is the "Patch" return estimate to 125%. At the regular Patch 100%, he would have been considered questionable for Saturday against Nashville.

:lol: